unfair treatment

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Why doesn't he just bid off the route?
+1

May I add that you said he has seniority over some of the guys that work less. Why not take one of those routes? There is an easy solution to the "problem", but it sounds to me like he likes where he is. If he's so hard pressed, why doesn't he come on here for the info himself? This is Troll bait if ever I read it before!:surprised:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
my apology for the misread, but the rest is right on.

We are in VA, and changing centers would be great, but we can't afford the demotion. We don't have a lot of management turnover here.
we are not telling you to change centers, just delivery routes. geez, its that simple. and after 4 years of gradual change, if your hubby really wanted a shorter day, he would have bid off of it by now. he gets his chance every year. and more often when someone else retires.

and with 12, not 25 years, he should be able to get one of the other routes.

so we are back to why has he not bid off that route?

as for discrimination etc, the route determines the hours. if you dont like the route and the hours, then bid off the route. its that simple.

d

brownrod

You are assuming his local rebids routes.

Where I'm at routes are only bid when the driver retires or a new route is added. And all our cover drivers are full timers without a bid route.

DS

Fenderbender
Hey wifey,just in case you don't understand what bidding off his route means,it's like this.He can take any route off any driver with less seniority.
He can bump them.After 12 years he knows this.Everyone is speculating as to why he stays on the route from hell.Could it be he needs the extra money? That overtime would add over $500 to every paycheck.
Tell him to join the browncafe and maybe we can help.

brownrod

e this.He can take any route off any driver with less seniority.
He can bump them.After 12 years he knows this.Everyone is speculating as to why he stays on the route from hell.

Check your supplement. Doesn't work this way where I'm at. Here, when you get on a route you are pretty much stuck. That's why I will probably remain a cover driver until I retire. I don't want to do the same route for the rest of my career.

DS

Fenderbender
Check your supplement. Doesn't work this way where I'm at. Here, when you get on a route you are pretty much stuck. That's why I will probably remain a cover driver until I retire. I don't want to do the same route for the rest of my career.
I apologize for forgetting that although we are all upsers,things are done differently depending on where you live.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We bid our routes here every 3 years. There are pros and cons to both sides of this issue of having a set route or being a cover driver. There are days that I miss being a cover driver but most of the time I appreciate that I have the same delivery route that I know inside and out.

rod

Retired 22 years
I had the same route for 25 years. One little town and about 100 miles of rural routes. I knew everyones name, where they lived, where they worked, what their kids names were, who was related to whom and what their dogs and cats names were. (also who was messing around with whom). I could do that route with my eyes closed. Every once in awhile they would tack on some other area I wasn't familar with. I always concidered that just easy overtime and never tried to run scratch on a strange area. I thought of it more as a sight seeing tour at UPS expense. Its very easy to drag your feet on a strange area and there really isn't much they can do about it -especially if the strange area envolves rural deliveries that require area knowledge not just going door to door in some city neighborhood. It wouldn't take long for them to find another home for those stops. Once you won a bid it was your route for life unless the route itself was changed more that 50 % and we had some real knock down dragouts over just what exactly 50% was.

Yep, hard enough staying in the same building for 10 years.

NHDRVR

Everyone in my husbands center gets their standard 9.5 hours day. My husband gets 12 hour days. They've even had to call and get it approved for him to work over 12 hours.
Someone else loads his truck and they mix everything together. No sorting involved.
Is there some kind of "unfair" treatment complaint? I understand that there are days that will be bigger than others, but this happening all of the time. He has quite a few drivers under him, seniority wise, that are all getting 9.5 hour days. He just happens to have the route that everyone dumps on.

He's worked for UPS for 12 years, and this is the worst it's ever been.

File the 9.5 paperwork... there isn't much to it.

whiskey

Just because you bid off your route and win the new bid, doesn't mean UPS will move you. Sure, you can grieve their foot dragging. But, should you have to file a grievance over something you have already won?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Regardless of what all these people are telling you about the "long routes", No matter what your husband thought when he bid the route, the fact is if he does not want to work more than 9.5 hrs he needs to file the grievance. Yes sometimes the company will look a little closer at people that file grievances, but as long as your doing your job by the methods they cannot do anything to him. They cannot fire anyone for production unless they have done a 3 day lock in and they are not meeting the locked in SPORH.

File the grievance and stand up for himself!!!

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
By the way Dannyboy,

She was talking about 2 different drivers with the 12 and 25yrs of service. Maybe you should read a little closer before you go off on someone.

Husband = 12yrs
Other driver that filed 9.5 grievance =25yrs

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
You are assuming his local rebids routes.

Where I'm at routes are only bid when the driver retires or a new route is added. And all our cover drivers are full timers without a bid route.
wow, talk about a series of steps backward in contract negotiations......what have you guys gotten that you decided was better than bidding the routes on a refular basis?

your right, i was assuming that, given that i assumed that it was a nation wide right, the only differences being the time frame for bidding varried.

lifetime on one route. hmmm

By the way Dannyboy,

She was talking about 2 different drivers with the 12 and 25yrs of service. Maybe you should read a little closer before you go off on someone.
ah 88, been there covered that, kinda late for the party?

Regardless of what all these people are telling you about the "long routes", No matter what your husband thought when he bid the route, the fact is if he does not want to work more than 9.5 hrs he needs to file the grievance
not if he bid that route knowing that that route is an extended route and the hours are long. its called implied consent. had the hearing on that here. and lost.

the driver bids on a route that is an extended route, designed that way from the begining. it has no pickups because it stays out so late.

driver bid that route, then decides he does not want to work over 9.5. hearing said that he should not have bid the route knowing what he did, and ups has no requirement to lower the hours for that route or driver. at the next bid, he can bid off that route, but until then, he has to put in the ot. not what i think, but what actually is.

d

Dustyroads

I'm not sure where in the Master Agreement it's implied that if one bids an extended route that the guarantees with regards to hours worked do not apply. Maybe that's a big city thing, but out here where extended routes are exteeeended, that just doesn't fly, we have the same contractual protections as the guys driving 1000s on the pavement. Out here, we'd say, 'that dog won't hunt'.