unfair treatment

EmerCond421

Once you won a bid it was your route for life unless the route itself was changed more that 50 % and we had some real knock down dragouts over just what exactly 50% was.

Same here. Although I believe the 50% was addressed in the last contract, if I remember correctly you can follow 50% of your stops (rather have the miles).
:wink2:

UPSGUY72

Everyone in my husbands center gets their standard 9.5 hours day. My husband gets 12 hour days. They've even had to call and get it approved for him to work over 12 hours.
Someone else loads his truck and they mix everything together. No sorting involved.
Is there some kind of "unfair" treatment complaint? I understand that there are days that will be bigger than others, but this happening all of the time. He has quite a few drivers under him, seniority wise, that are all getting 9.5 hour days. He just happens to have the route that everyone dumps on.

He's worked for UPS for 12 years, and this is the worst it's ever been.

BIDS start Fed 1 tell your husband to bid another route if he doesn't like the one he is on. Then get back to us after bids and tell us if he's on the same route. That should tell you if he likes or doesn't like his route.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
wow, talk about a series of steps backward in contract negotiations......what have you guys gotten that you decided was better than bidding the routes on a refular basis?

your right, i was assuming that, given that i assumed that it was a nation wide right, the only differences being the time frame for bidding varried.

lifetime on one route. hmmm

ah 88, been there covered that, kinda late for the party?

not if he bid that route knowing that that route is an extended route and the hours are long. its called implied consent. had the hearing on that here. and lost.

the driver bids on a route that is an extended route, designed that way from the begining. it has no pickups because it stays out so late.

driver bid that route, then decides he does not want to work over 9.5. hearing said that he should not have bid the route knowing what he did, and ups has no requirement to lower the hours for that route or driver. at the next bid, he can bid off that route, but until then, he has to put in the ot. not what i think, but what actually is.

d

Once again, we work for the same company with completely different rules. We never rebid routes, there is no implied consent, you do not have to work over 9.5hrs except in Dec.

UPSGUY72

Once again, we work for the same company with completely different rules. We never rebid routes, there is no implied consent, you do not have to work over 9.5hrs except in Dec.

So when you reach your 9.5 for the day and you still have packages to deliver you just go back to the building. Doesn't sound like that's true.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
So when you reach your 9.5 for the day and you still have packages to deliver you just go back to the building. Doesn't sound like that's true.

If you have filed and won and are still being violated, they will have to pay triple pay for all time over 9.5hrs. You tell me!!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If you have filed and won and are still being violated, they will have to pay triple pay for all time over 9.5hrs. You tell me!!
I won under the old contract when it was double time, and my 9.5 issues cleared up in a jiffy. In these times of woe and want I pity the center manager who has to explain to his boss why he's paying triple time to a guy who doesn't even want it.

Dustyroads

"implied concent" is a lot of management nonsense. I've won every hearing on the issue of excessive overtime for the past 30 years. There is no route that is more extended or rural. Don't buy it.

The NM contract does not mention "implied consent", whether a route is extended or in town, cover or bid driver. These are excuses that the union and the company have side dealed after the contract ratification. Here the excuse was that management didn't have a place to move the extra work to. Which, BTW was complete and utter BS.

I won under the old contract when it was double time, and my 9.5 issues cleared up in a jiffy. In these times of woe and want I pity the center manager who has to explain to his boss why he's paying triple time to a guy who doesn't even want it.

Before I retired I had 6 unsettled O/9.5 grievances pending for 9 months, yes NINE months. The grievances went from local to regional panels then back to local three times, then were set aside during the 2008 peak season. Finally, in Feb. of 2009, I received a check for the violations. The settlement was for one half of what was , by contract, owed to me. The Union really looked out for my best interest on this one.

wow, talk about a series of steps backward in contract negotiations......what have you guys gotten that you decided was better than bidding the routes on a refular basis?

your right, i was assuming that, given that i assumed that it was a nation wide right, the only differences being the time frame for bidding varried.

lifetime on one route. hmmm

ah 88, been there covered that, kinda late for the party?

not if he bid that route knowing that that route is an extended route and the hours are long. its called implied consent. had the hearing on that here. and lost.

the driver bids on a route that is an extended route, designed that way from the begining. it has no pickups because it stays out so late.

driver bid that route, then decides he does not want to work over 9.5. hearing said that he should not have bid the route knowing what he did, and ups has no requirement to lower the hours for that route or driver. at the next bid, he can bid off that route, but until then, he has to put in the ot. not what i think, but what actually is.

d
Was this hearing the panels or did it make it to arbitration?

code5

Your husband sound kind of like me. I can totally relate to what he is doing.

My take, he is used to what UPS used to be. If you did a good job you seemed to get taken care of. You didn't have to resort to greivances and complaining to get things you want. Your good work always backed you up.

Thats gone, at least for now. If you look at a management perspective, they get forced to robb from Peter to pay Paul. Unfortunately, your husband and myself is always Peter. In most cases now-a-days a good days work is an opportunity to get more work added to your route.

He is going to have to be a little more aggressive and not get pushed around as much. Most management threats are just that - threats, nothing with substance. Unless he gets tough and starts to say no, he will never get what he wants.

Good luck.

Dustyroads

What happens is that you never have that 3rd 9.5 day, so you don't have the issue of whether you go back to the building with packages.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My initial thought and first response was to ask why doesn't he just bid off the route. After some thought I realized that this will not solve the problem--it will simply be passed on to whomever takes over the area unless something is done to lighten the load, whether by the OP or by his mgt team or, and this would be best, by them working together.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
My initial thought and first response was to ask why doesn't he just bid off the route. After some thought I realized that this will not solve the problem--it will simply be passed on to whomever takes over the area unless something is done to lighten the load, whether by the OP or by his mgt team or, and this would be best, by them working together.
Not a lot of that going on down here.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Only if the regular driver on the list and the cover driver too. That's one of the reasons I don't like covering, hope they will change it in the next contract. It's unfair for the cover driver.
What the union and the company has done to us covers is just not right.

Where I am, I have to be on a bid for the rte for a week and go over 9.5 before I can file on it. The first time I go over 9.5 on that particular rte my name goes on the 9.5 list for that rte. I don't even get the penalties for it. The second time I go over on that same rte is when I can file and get the penalty pay.

This is the process for each rte, sole and seperate. :angry:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
glad that the rest of your centers do not have routes that are designed to be out late.

we happen to have several in our building. they are well known and well defined as such. if you dont want to work long hours, you dont bid them. just that simple.

the routes are planned to be 10- 11 plus hours every day. everybody knows that those routes are dispatched that way.

we had a driver that knowing ahead of time that this route was one of them, bid it with every intent of filing and reducing the hours on the route, or in the alternative, get paid tripple time for days 4&5 of over 9.5.

arbitration ruled that he knew well in advance of bidding the route that the route was over 9.5 every day. that the work on that route could not be "shared" with another route, and he bid it anyway. so in essence, he created the problem. he had every oppertunity to bid on many other routes that did not have this issue, but chose to make it a problem when he bid this route.

so he lost. he was offered to be able to bid on a training route to get off the long day route, which he accepted.

d