Union vs Non-Union

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
You can download a copy of the contract for free.

Christmas parties are overrated----everyone gets drunk and talks shop.

You will get your benefits whether you are in the Union or not.

The Union is not the end all, be all people on here make it out to be.

Resident know-it-all.

Perhaps not the end all, be all but you have to wonder... Would your pension be as good without it?

Sent using a Potato

Ashell

Its not better job security. Your best job security is to show up and do your job. I have seen union turds get fired too. It just depends on how much your managers are willing to put up with. Plus, I have seen people join just to get their job back if it ever really becomes an issue

Oh :censored2:! and the Christmas party the drinks are not free. Not even like 1 or 2 on the house. They are not cheap. The Christmas party food might be like 20$ value. Throw in the entertainment and swag, I'll bump it up to 50$ value. You are going to pay over 300$ just in your first year, and I know people paying 25$ a week in union dues.

I also forgot. The safety comity is union run, in theory. If you have a safety comity, you can ask about joining it if no one in your area is on it. You get paid for it, and it would probably pay your union dues. But you still have to go, and there is paper work. Most people just make stuff up to fill it out, instead of making real observations. Either way its still your time and money. Some places will exclude people that are not in the union for the comity.

Perhaps not the end all, be all but you have to wonder... Would your pension be as good without it?

They could still pull a hostess. I don't "have" a pension till its cash in my hand.

simplesam

been with this company eight years. been a paying union member and steward for five.and have really done some soul searching and paying attention,observing coworkers around me.now this is just me, my findings, this is not 100% true, but pretty close. but there is a difference in the caliber of people that have morals to pay their share and not have others pay it for them. take a good look at both groups and ask yourself, which one do I belong in?? don't want to offend anyone!!