United Way

New Englander

Freeloader,
A recently departed center manager told me that management was given a quota and that any amount under that was to be made up by them! No wonder they push!

Anyone have a comment- Tie, you out there?

I've been told Full time Management is "required" to put up a minimum of $750 a year.

deezilfuelonly

It will be zero again from me. The pressure put on us to donate is absolutely ridiculous. Last year when I handed back the form to the on car sup and said "no thank you" I got a message later in the day to not punch out untill I went in the office. I responded that I would have to wait for representation and my attorney for fear of being harassed over my own personal decision. Needless to say I got a quick message back saying nevermind. P.S. I volunteer at a shelter so I have no problem with my decision not to help UPS with their huge tax writeoff

pkg-king

Just wondering how they do get away with such high pressure tactics? Why not give a pcm saying see me in my office if you'd like to donate? We all know why it's not handled this way, they'd never meet their quota, I'm just surprised no one has ever challenged their high pressure way of getting people to donate. Seems to me it's border line against the law.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Exactly why they should get used to the big fat $0 from me. Funny part is that I was a United Way campaign person at my previous job.

Being brought up to the center manager's office and pressured to donate and THEN donate MORE then I had been for 4 years got to me.

You know what.....I'd donate a days pay and my time to a local charity, UPS should match my days pay to them. That I would do.

Definily agree. It's really a shame for all parties involved.

feeder53

ADKtrails
In NYS a while ago there was a scandal that involved United Way so I now donate 7% of my wages to organizations that I feel do the type of work I would support. Every year I offer 2 days my services as a TT driver to go around and P/U food donations for local food pantries.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thank you. I think that the main 2 reasons that I support the United Way as I do is that it is so much easier for me to support my favorite charity (Hospice of the North Country) through payroll deduction as I do not have the means to write a check of that amount in a single donation and I take advantage of the tax deduction benefit associated with my donation. The charity gets their $1,300 (or most of it, anway) and I get a $325 tax credit.

browndevil

Again I will donate 0$. It is sad to watch mgmt beg and ask why I don't give and the reason is , and I don't tell them,is that I have three other charities that I donate to yearly that have a personel meaning to me.:happy2:

I used to donate weekly but now I just give like $20 a year. They gave me the run around too many times when I deliver to their offices.

H

hseofpayne

I wont give them a penny, last year they force me to donate. I don't know what is it and what is it for. I think i am the one that need donation, i am broke.:happy-very:
Thats cause you spent all your money on that 200 lb. Russian mail order bride! Did you ever get her fat :censored2: shoved into that drop box? Got the newer, lighter model yet?!

H

hseofpayne

They give me the card, I fill it out and give it back. Never been pressured in 20 years.

I guess it depends on where you are from. Our United Way rep is so damn fine, we line up tryin' to give our donations straight to her! We had a problem here a few years back when Unite Way wouldn't support the Boy Scouts because of their stance on gay scoutmasters. That was changed and we can now be more specific in where we want our donations to go. And no, I ain't got nothin' against you brownholers, just not my cup of teabaggin'!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I don't like the pressure from management, but I do believe in charity so I donate....now you can select the exact charity you want your money to go to, so I feel like my money is actually doing something worthy.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I donated last year because, and only because, a good friend of my was the spokesperson. I DO NOT agree with UPS's tactics in getting donations. I feel the same way about phone solicitations and do all I can to not receive calls including signing up on the national do not call list and not publishing my phone number in the phone book.

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
I am donating sweet friend--k all this year. My reason? To spite management. If they asked politely I would consider it, but when they flat out tell you that you have to donate, well thats just a load of crap.

barnyard

KTM rider
I do $15 a week and will probably stay the same.

About 10ish years ago, my wife had surgeries to remove precancerous tumors in her colon, uterus (hysterectomy) and para-thyroid glands removed. It was an insanely stressful 5 months. During that time, we received help from 3 United Way agencies.

I never asked, they found out about it from my wife's Pastor and some folks stopped by periodically. To say that it helped, would be a gross understatement.

I have karma to pay back.

TB