Upcoming 401(k) Changes

AB831

I've said it before. Anyone of reasonable intelligence and a decent work ethic could do this job and do it as well as me, if not better. Anyone who enjoys challenges and higher levels of responsibility and accountability would be crazy not to pursue those opportunities.
Um....no, they’d go do something meaningful with their talent rather than bootlicking Fat Freddy Smith and trying to lord it over people who couldn’t care less. Look up the Dunning-Kruger Effect. It describes you to a T.

Aquaman

That seems to be FredEx's strategy for delivering bad news: deliver it in a disingenuous manner and throw you a bone like "you can choose what works best for you" just so they have something to use against you for sake of argument. Kind of like how you can't say the company didn't give you a raise for three years when they're giving you a generous 2% raise while the company is "struggling." It's always smoke and mirrors with Fat Freddy.
100% accurate on the relationship between salary & hourly. If the company is rolling out something new, it’s bad. Don’t take it. Make them force it on you. The pension won’t last much longer. I’m gonna stay in it until it’s gone. It’s free money. Protected from market swings. Easy decision.

fedx

Extra Large Package
It’s weird how such a “good company to work for” opposes unions like water opposes oil. It’s almost like a union would prevent them from carrying out some of their business practices.

At one time, a long long time ago, FedEx was a good company from what I've heard. Way back when people topped out anywhere from 3 months to 2 or 3 years after starting. Those days are long gone. Back then a union wasn't needed because FedEx took care of their employees. Today that's not the case and FedEx does need a union. Hell even if the company topped people out in 5 years I would say most people wouldn't feel the need for a union. Currently the top pay takes 20 or more years to reach. However, that's not the case with FedEx Freight. They top people out in only 3 years. Why only 3 years? To keep the union out. However, Express has union protection so they don't care if it takes us 40 years to top out. There's nothing we can do about it.

Aquaman

How do you get it for free? I have to work like 45hrs a week for it!
Well I mean ya, you still have to work for it. But it doesn’t cost you any money to get it. If you can stay grandfathered in a pension you’d be nuts to opt out.

Aquaman

At one time, a long long time ago, FedEx was a good company from what I've heard. Way back when people topped out anywhere from 3 months to 2 or 3 years after starting. Those days are long gone. Back then a union wasn't needed because FedEx took care of their employees. Today that's not the case and FedEx does need a union. Hell even if the company topped people out in 5 years I would say most people wouldn't feel the need for a union. Currently the top pay takes 20 or more years to reach. However, that's not the case with FedEx Freight. They top people out in only 3 years. Why only 3 years? To keep the union out. However, Express has union protection so they don't care if it takes us 40 years to top out. There's nothing we can do about it.
I’d be happy if they just followed the step plan and made it 10 years. A 6%-9% raise for 10 years is fine with me. But with no union to force them to prioritize budgeting for step raises, well we’ve seen what happens...

abused.crr

And if you look back to the early 20th century, those auto workers had to literally fight hard to unionize. If they would have just "quit and work somewhere else to be happy" like Falcon says, these autoworkers today would be making $12-$15/hr. Look, I'm not a huge union guy, but I believe they are needed when a job sucks. FedEx needs a union. Rather than quit and leave with your tail between your legs, we deserve to organize. FedEx made promises they failed to keep with their 10 step pay program. The fact that FedEx now is using their "last mile optimization" that should blur the lines claiming FedEx is still an airline when they're using their Ground network to make Express deliveries.
Well said!
I don’t think it matters if you’re pro union or anti union. Let the employees decide! Let the employees vote for or against unionization!

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Um....no, they’d go do something meaningful with their talent rather than bootlicking Fat Freddy Smith and trying to lord it over people who couldn’t care less. Look up the Dunning-Kruger Effect. It describes you to a T.
It's ok, the harshest criticism always comes from those who never had the balls to step up because they knew they couldn't get it done.

59 Dano

Why is there no argument? There were 100s of years of child labour and poor working conditions that would say otherwise.
Do you think such things would still exist today were it not for unions? I mean, there's a whole field of formal study dedicated to such things.

59 Dano

Back then a union wasn't needed because FedEx took care of their employees. Today that's not the case and FedEx does need a union. Hell even if the company topped people out in 5 years I would say most people wouldn't feel the need for a union. Currently the top pay takes 20 or more years to reach. However, that's not the case with FedEx Freight. They top people out in only 3 years. Why only 3 years? To keep the union out. However, Express has union protection so they don't care if it takes us 40 years to top out. There's nothing we can do about it.
The unions and most employees see things differently. The employees who are most unhappy will just leave for something better and the unions aren't going to fight for the support of employees who have the option of finding better work (which is most people).