UPS And it's management

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Is UPS the only company out there where the management makes less than the people they manage? It would seem that the quality of management would increase if they were compensated better than employees.
I hear it said often that a driver was "promoted" into management. Promotions tend to included a pay increase. Not the case with UPS. There are many drivers that would make excellent management but who wants to take a 25 grand cut in pay?

Tough Guy

With some of the older ones, I think when they originally went into management, it was "an offer they couldn't refuse". I'm sure they didn't foresee that too rate would be around 34 bucks or so. So a lot of them were slowly surpassed until it's gotten to the point where it is today.

Tough Guy

And as far as newer sups, it could be guys who don't think they could take a career of wear and tear, or also see an immediate jump in pay.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I think guys who move to management are thinking more long term than just the current period. I know my on car is trying to move to the center manager position, which is all but a done deal. I'm sure there are plenty though who are just stuck in the position and it not going the way they thought.

I
Is UPS the only company out there where the management makes less than the people they manage? It would seem that the quality of management would increase if they were compensated better than employees.
I hear it said often that a driver was "promoted" into management. Promotions tend to included a pay increase. Not the case with UPS. There are many drivers that would make excellent management but who wants to take a 25 grand cut in pay?

I have seen some go into management to be the next outside hire for full time driver.
That way they jump a lot employees that may have more seniority.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is true, although it is not quite $25K. Within a few years of the promotion they are back to where they were with a portfolio full of stock options.

PT Car Washer

I

I have seen some go into management to be the next outside hire for full time driver.
That way they jump a lot employees that may have more seniority.
In the past when PT sups were allowed to go driving they had been PT sups for years. I don't think they jumped ahead of too many hourlies.