UPS driver runs over a dog.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
LongTimeComing,

I am sure that both the speed and the speed limit can be be obtained.

I don't think it benefits anyone to guess something about these 2 facts.

I don't deny that owners are responsible to follow the laws including dog leash laws however accidents do happen.

Dogs accidently get out of a house or yard for a number of reasons besides blatent irresponsibility.

Small children also accidently get out of their house or yard on occassion this is very unfortunate.

Saying that the driver going 25mph or 100mph doesn't matter is a completely false statement.

Anyone who knows anything about the relationship between the rate of speed and stopping distance I'm sure would support this.

I think the sensitive nature of this incident has prevented you and several others in this discusssion thread from being truly honest and objective about this incident.

Sincerely,
I

....what?

gingerkat

I had to close out of that video before I saw the horror. I am an animal lover all the way and cry when I see stuff like that. I won't even see a fake movie. I don't even have a dog and I keep treats in my home for the neighborhood pups.

Today I went on a 25+ mile bike ride and I was about 5 miles from home and I saw something so awful I wanted to beat the crap out of the guy. I was on the bike path at a stop light when some dbag with his window rolled all the way down at the light... suddenly his mini poodle jumps out of the window and runs into traffic. He see's but drives off to find a suitable parking spot.

I didn't think twice, I immediate dump my bike, my legs are like jello, but run into traffic to stop everyone to see if I can grab pooch. I try, but she's scared and runs away. I see him finally stop and I'm screaming at him "hey :censored2:, get out of your friend'ing car and get your dog!" Now he's runing in a panic because the train is coming and she's gone...people suck!

I probably shouldn't have scolded him as much as I did, but damn. I almost hope someone else found the dog and is taking care of her.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
#1 FACT. Watch the video, the video shakes therefore is not a "static camera." someone is standing there holding it. WHY??? Because there is a "history" of dogs running out into the street, chasing trucks and the "camera man" knew this. Why else would someone be standing there "filming." This is a setup and I pray the higher-ups realize this.

Not quite. The footage of the dog getting run over was taken from what's assumingly a static security camera. However, you're watching a video of that video; somebody recorded the video with what's likely to be a camera phone in order to post it to the Internet.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
What happened is what happened in the video. It was less likely a set-up...as many have said...it's a video of a monitor displaying a security camera...hence the date and running time at the top of the video.

Dogs and children are not the same. Any manager who says this is just using it as leverage...and it's insulting. Nobody likes to run over dogs. But in this situation, it was unavoidable...plain and simple. It wasn't like the dogs were running around in the middle of the street. They shoot from off-camera like a bullet....they are tiny toy-breed dogs. The driver was most likely within the speed limit. The day he goes 10mph through resi's is the day he gets written up for running over/missing pickups/etc etc etc. Any attempt at trying to pin this on the driver after watching this video is a stretch, at best.

"But what if it was a child?" Well, it wasn't. And it wouldn't have been. It would take a completely separate chain of events for that tragedy to occur. Show me a child (as small and un-noticeable) outrunning a dog. Nope.

A

anonymous6

I've hit and killed two "free running " dogs in my career and feel real bad about it but it was better than swerving and hitting some children or a car load of people.

gorilla75jdw

moral of the story is : Liveleak.com is my favorite web site , I stumbled across it 5 or 6 years back while searching military style firefight vids. I hate what happenend to the dog , but if you let your dogs run free , shyt can happen . I wouldnt think none of us would just wake up and think , Im gonna run over that dog on First street that chases me everyday , but then , who knows maybe he did , we hope not .

Integrity

Binge Poster
LongTimeComing,

I am sure that both the speed and the speed limit can be be obtained.

I don't think it benefits anyone to guess something about these 2 facts.

I don't deny that owners are responsible to follow the laws including dog leash laws however accidents do happen.

Dogs accidently get out of a house or yard for a number of reasons besides blatent irresponsibility.

Small children also accidently get out of their house or yard on occassion this is very unfortunate.

Saying that the driver going 25mph or 100mph doesn't matter is a completely false statement.

Anyone who knows anything about the relationship between the rate of speed and stopping distance I'm sure would support this.

I think the sensitive nature of this incident has prevented you and several others in this discusssion thread from being truly honest and objective about this incident.

Sincerely,
I

....what?
LongTimeComing,

I am surprised that you don't understand.

Up to now your posts seem to be well written and well thought out.

Discussing with you has been very enjoyable.

I will try to break it down so that over time you will understand the above post and in the future I will try to keep my dialogue a bit more simple and direct.

I apologize in advance for the confusion that is evident from your response.

To explain the post in question:

Do you know for a fact the speed limit of the road that the driver in the video was traveling?

Do you know for a fact the speed at which the driver was driving at the time of the accident?

Once you honestly answer these questions then I will unpack the rest of the above post in hopes of eliminating your confusion about my opinion on this issue.

We can take it one step at a time.

You seem to me to be a person who has no problem with answering honestly. Am I reading you right about this?

You have a right, as do I, not to answer any questions but I think we can agree that any answer when given should be honest.

Sincerely,
I

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
All I was saying about the speed was that it was irrelevant in relation to the fact that it is the owner's fault. Even if the dogs got out on their own....it's still the owners fault. If the driver was speeding, it's a completely different problem than trying to figure out who gets the blame for this. Speeding didn't cause this to happen. Free roaming dogs did.

Nobody knows, at this point, the facts of the street speed or the driver's speed, but context clues are abound. All of these opinions on this topic are just that...along with educated guesses.

And I understood you fine. I was trolling you with the "...what?"

Success. :wink2:

Nolimitz

so in an "open range" in Idaho. Let's say a ranchers livestock is hit by a motorist and 2 or 3 people get killed.... Would a ranchers lawyer advise him to claim the animal? I doubt it

[h=1]Idaho Livestock Laws[/h][h=3]IDAHO CODE GENERAL LAWS
TITLE 25. ANIMALS

CHAPTER 21. ANIMALS RUNNING AT LARGE[/h]25-2118. Animals on open range -- No duty to keep from
highway

No person owning, or controlling the possession of, any
domestic animal running on open range, shall have the duty to keep such animal
off any highway on such range, and shall not be liable for damage to any vehicle
or for injury to any person riding therein, caused by a collision between the
vehicle and the animal. "Open range" means all uninclosed lands outside of
cities, villages and herd districts, upon which cattle by custom, license,
lease, or permit, are grazed or permitted to roam.
25-2119. Owner or possessor of animal not liable for animal on
highway

domestic animal lawfully on any highway, shall be deemed guilty of negligence by
reason thereof.

[h=3][/h]

stoni24

so in an "open range" in Idaho. Let's say a ranchers livestock is hit by a motorist and 2 or 3 people get killed.... Would a ranchers lawyer advise him to claim the animal? I doubt it

[h=1]Idaho Livestock Laws[/h][h=3]IDAHO CODE GENERAL LAWS
TITLE 25. ANIMALS

CHAPTER 21. ANIMALS RUNNING AT LARGE[/h]25-2118. Animals on open range -- No duty to keep from
highway

domestic animal running on open range, shall have the duty to keep such animal
off any highway on such range, and shall not be liable for damage to any vehicle
or for injury to any person riding therein, caused by a collision between the
vehicle and the animal. "Open range" means all uninclosed lands outside of
cities, villages and herd districts, upon which cattle by custom, license,
lease, or permit, are grazed or permitted to roam.
25-2119. Owner or possessor of animal not liable for animal on
highway

domestic animal lawfully on any highway, shall be deemed guilty of negligence by
reason thereof.

[h=3][/h]
that is scary! Do they at least have posted signs that u are entering one? Or is it so widespread it's just common knowledge?

Nolimitz

that is scary! Do they at least have posted signs that u are entering one? Or is it so widespread it's just common knowledge?

Some areas are signed, some not. If you see cattle it's time to slow down. Many western states have open range. Some ranchers will fence in "open range" just to be safe, but if fence breaks they are still not responsible.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I ran over a 3 legged dog. The people on that street still throw rocks at me.

I can gurantee you that a customer who threw rocks at me would never get another delivery again. Neither would their neighbors...and I would politely explain to those neighbors the reason why.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Of course they will sue. People know that UPS would rather settle a case then go on to fight and win it. It's all about protecting the image. Upstate shared a story back a few months ago where someone hit him, at a dead stop. That person sued and got a huge payday, yet it was that person at fault. The goal, get it out of media attention and try to save face with a possible account in the future or a current one.

With the people throwing rocks, silly and ridicilous. Over all, this is a broad view of ignorance amonst people not employed by UPS. They think you are the safetest of the safe drivers out in the road, no questions. When things go wrong, as such as this example, people start in with the guilt trip. Its a bunch of bs in my opinion. People know the driver makes good money, that UPS is a huge profitable company. So they take small things in offence and look for that big compensation and / or act out like unreasonable children.

As for liveleak.com. Hands down one of the best media sites out there for rampant video uploads of amazing intrest and diversity. Most other sites get their breaking videos from this source, of course the others do get lucky at times. But LL is tops when it comes to current breaking news and others. Its random, the content, and refreshes often. I check their site last, to see what the others have missed for that day. Only to know it will be uploaded at different time and day after their checkers turn to LL for their next featured video.

This video was shot on the 24th, and brought to you in two days by LL. They are amazingly quick when it comes to any intresting video.

Maybe you should counter sue emotional distress for some A_hole not having their dog tied up!!NO PACKAGE FOR U...ROCK THROWERS!!!!!!Or you could run the people over ...less stress...same amount of trouble!!!

Integrity

Binge Poster
To participants of this discussion thread,

I am all for responsible dog ownership.

That being said it is not right to judge a situation when you don't know the facts.

There is no way to prove from this video that the dog that was struck was not somehow inadvertantly let out of its house, yard or other restraint.

The dog may have gotten out by accident. The dead dog's owner may be otherwise a very responsible dog owner.

Sincerely,
I

To participants of this discussion thread,

I am all for responsible dog ownership.

That being said it is not right to judge a situation when you don't know the facts.

There is no way to prove from this video that the dog that was struck was not somehow inadvertantly let out of its house, yard or other restraint.

The dog may have gotten out by accident. The dead dog's owner may be otherwise a very responsible dog owner.

Sincerely,
I
Dog+street+hit and killed= Too bad for dog owner, responsible or not.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Dog+street+hit and killed= Too bad for dog owner, responsible or not.
cacsux,

It seems like mob mentality is controlling responses to this discussion.

Speed limits in residential areas in my opinion are set to improve reaction time and shorten stopping distances.

Speeding in residential areas can result in accidents like this.

Even mob mentality can't deny this. Or can it?

Sincerely,
I