UPS driver runs over a dog.

gingerkat

Of course it's impossible to really know what happened, but, and this is a BIG but, it appears that jack :censored2: should have a fence if puppy wants to roam free. I brake for squirrels and when they die in front of my house, I bury them, so I'm sure the UPS guy probably feels like crap. The only person that would enjoy hitting a living creature or not brake is a sick, sick person.

We owners are resposible for these creatures 100%, as stated in our homeowners policy. If anything that driver probably could sue that guy for trauma. They are animals and do exactly what they are supposed to do, run and chase things. They are no different than children, except they can't speak for themselves.

Those that are unwilling to take care of little things that need to be feed, walked, kept warm or whatever, should stick to taking care of themselves.

UpsYours

had a dog run out of his yard one day and hit his head on the tail end of the truck. i thought he was dead just laying in the road for like 2 minutes not moving .a neighbor saw it happen and while i was talking to him the dog got up and stumbled away back to his yard. funny in a way .guess he got a concussion. never had to report it and i guess that neighbor told the owners because that dogs was tied up after that.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
cacsux,

It seems like mob mentality is controlling responses to this discussion.

Speed limits in residential areas in my opinion are set to improve reaction time and shorten stopping distances.

Speeding in residential areas can result in accidents like this.

Even mob mentality can't deny this. Or can it?

Sincerely,
I

This is simple. I'm not sure why it has to continually be repeated.

The owner is the responsible party, whether they knew the dogs were roaming free, or they got out on their own. I'm not saying that the owner is a POS.....unless they attempted to sue by setting this up or let the dogs roam and ignored the leash laws....but that would be presumptuous.

The 'facts' that you are claiming are 'mob mentality' are exactly what is undisputed on the video. A dog ran from a yard under a tire of a UPS truck. The driver, who did not appear to be driving recklessly, didn't see the dog and wouldn't have had the ability to stop soon enough considering how quickly the dog closed the distance.

Sometimes, when everyone agree's on something, it is because it's the most likely answer. It's not mob mentality. If you continually find yourself to be the odd man out, maybe the issue is with you?

I remember a saying....If throughout your day, you meet one a-hole, he's an a-hole. If you meet a bunch of a-holes, YOU are the a-hole. I'm not calling you an a-hole, but you catch my drift.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The speed limit on my street is 25mph. No one follows it but me. I dont see the need to go any faster as its only 1/4 mile long, but some people are always in such a hurry. So when we have a foot of snow since its on a hill, I let my dogs go across the street, but I go first and make sure no one is coming. I do stop the youngsters and tell them the speed limit, simply because it is a state park, and people are walking constantly, most of them elderly. One time last year my dogs were in the road, and my husband kept yelling at them and they wouldnt come, they were scared to death yet would not come. So he went down and there is a guy laying in the road, whos replacement hip went out. As soon as Daddy came they hopped back in the yard. Yes speed limits are a good thing. But when a dog comes running out, no matter how you are watching, sometimes you cannot stop, period. Or some guy laying in the road by the time you see it on a narrow road, or no matter how far you are looking ahead, on a curve, or a hill, it might be impossible. Either way a dog in the road is not the motorist fault. We suffer the emotional pain, for an idiots lack of responsibility. Yes sometimes they break loose, on that note if I have a huge dog lunging at me, no matter what type of chain, I do not deliver. How many dogs you see running around draggin chains? Weakest link.

My comment, although maybe a bit harsh, was coming from someone who's heart bleeds for his dogs. Irregardless it is MY responsibility to keep them fenced when unsupervised, with one of us when out and about in the non fenced part of our property, and on a leash when off our property.

Talk all you want, I, speed limits , hilly roads, Muslim UPS drivers, however you want to spin it. The FACT is a responsible dog owner will take steps to make sure this does not happen to theirs.

Funny, all these hot bed topics on BC all gravitate around responsibility. Guns, dogs, pregnancy, etc. What's that tell you?

Integrity

Binge Poster
This is simple. I'm not sure why it has to continually be repeated.

The owner is the responsible party, whether they knew the dogs were roaming free, or they got out on their own. I'm not saying that the owner is a POS.....unless they attempted to sue by setting this up or let the dogs roam and ignored the leash laws....but that would be presumptuous.

The 'facts' that you are claiming are 'mob mentality' are exactly what is undisputed on the video. A dog ran from a yard under a tire of a UPS truck. The driver, who did not appear to be driving recklessly, didn't see the dog and wouldn't have had the ability to stop soon enough considering how quickly the dog closed the distance.

Sometimes, when everyone agree's on something, it is because it's the most likely answer. It's not mob mentality. If you continually find yourself to be the odd man out, maybe the issue is with you?

I remember a saying....If throughout your day, you meet one a-hole, he's an a-hole. If you meet a bunch of a-holes, YOU are the a-hole. I'm not calling you an a-hole, but you catch my drift.
LongTimeComing,

Speed kills.

You are refusing to address the contribution that speeding contributes to accidents such as this.

I will continue to address the fact that speed limit and the speed of the vehicle have to be determined to evaluate what portion of the responsibilty goes to the driver, if any.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
My comment, although maybe a bit harsh, was coming from someone who's heart bleeds for his dogs. Irregardless it is MY responsibility to keep them fenced when unsupervised, with one of us when out and about in the non fenced part of our property, and on a leash when off our property.

Talk all you want, I, speed limits , hilly roads, Muslim UPS drivers, however you want to spin it. The FACT is a responsible dog owner will take steps to make sure this does not happen to theirs.

Funny, all these hot bed topics on BC all gravitate around responsibility. Guns, dogs, pregnancy, etc. What's that tell you?
cachsux,

Are you telling me that speed has nothing to do with stopping distance?

Sincerely,
I

trickpony1

I know a pkg car driver that had a doberman that would chase his truck everytime he drove down that street.
Pkg car driver got tired of it so one day he did something about it.
About the time the dog got close to the exhaust pipe the driver turned the key off, stabbed the gas pedal a couple of times and then turned the key on again.
POW! (backfire).
Driver said it was funnier than hell, the dog rolled up in a ball and tumbled a short distance down the street then walked back to its yard.
Dog never chased truck again.

U

uber

Only one person I ever met has said she was ugly. She is a white doberman, and the love of my life. Shes scary looking at first, because most people have never seen a blue eyed white doby. She has been my blessing in life, aside of course from my children and grandchildren. And she is huge, 100 pds, not an inch of fat. She listens, watches TV, helps me clean, no kidding. If I start dusting, she starts tucking blankets in the couch, pushing stuff over to the trash can, she is a hoot.

Nice. I've never seen a White Doberman in person. I have a Red Doby. She's such a smart girl. I have no clue why Doby's have such a bad rep. Very loving and smart dogs.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
playing in snow 002.jpgI dont know why they get a bad rap. Other than they are big, so considered bully dogs.Mine is a lap dog. I will never have a different breed. I would love to find a red, and a blue. Then I would have red, white and blue, LOL.
playing in snow 002.jpg

Integrity

Binge Poster
Play your spin games. I'm telling you unless you cop to being a driver you're out of place here.
cachsux,

Spin games?

I am only participating in an online discussion.

Out of place? I don't understand.

I am sorry that you are having difficulty with my point of view.

I love people more than dogs and I understand and believe that dog owners are responsible for keeping their dogs restrained in some way at all times.

Any animal expert knows that all animals can bite.

This doesn't change the fact, speeding in residential areas puts small children and animals at an increased risk of being struck by a vehicle if they inadvertantly get in its path.

You have to factor the speed versus the speed limit when evaluating theses types of accidents and the factors contributing to them.

You can get mad at me all you want but that will not change this simple truth.

Sincerely,
I

moreluck

golden ticket member
Blaze has the same markings/coloration as my dog......only my dog is like 10 pounds........see avatar (Toy Manchester Terrier)

U

uber

Good looking dog. Are the manchester terriers born with ears like that or are they clipped?

HomeDelivery

my division has a dog logo on the side of our package cars... still wonders why?

i'm still trying to keep a dollar store box of dog biscuits on the inside pocket of my door because being a swing driver everyday & driving blind to new areas will allow me to use them as "distractions" if a dog tries to chase my package car

one day, i'll be in a rural area & the next i'll be in da hood w/ "mean dogs." Those biscuits saved me from becoming a chew toy many times over...

had a few jumped past me and onto the driver seat over the years :knockedout:

glad the public is siding w/ the driver in that neighborhood

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I do not know why people let their dogs out when we all come to the door. Im sure the dog is naturally a loving dog, but we can look scary carrying things, etc. I dont give out biscuits. Ive seen dogs I have petted before, bite the usps person. They are dogs, they dont think, they react.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Good looking dog. Are the manchester terriers born with ears like that or are they clipped?
Their ears (the toys) as pups are floppy, but around 8-10 weeks, they stand up by themselves....sometimes one at a time and that's funny looking.
I
cropped my first schnauzer's ears, but left the 2nd one's flop .