UPS drivers & their pickup trucks.

In my approximate 30 driver center, seems like most of the guys have either a GMC, Chevy, or Ford. A few Toyotas..I'm a Toyota guy, myself. Can't wait until I can get myself a Tacoma, or Tundra. What do you prefer? Maybe you aren't a truck guy, but most of the drivers at my center are.
For now, I'm teaching myself contentment, & driving my '07 Pontiac 2dr car..Payment- free, which is what I prefer.
Chevy Silverado

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm on my fourth vehicle (second was a '69 Vette!) and the only new one I bought for myself in my whole life. 2002 Chevy S-10, it still runs fine and I haven't had a car note in ten years. My 401K looks nice these days because of that. To each his own I guess.

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm on my fourth vehicle (second was a '69 Vette!) and the only new one I bought for myself in my whole life. 2002 Chevy S-10, it still runs fine and I haven't had a car note in ten years. My 401K looks nice these days because of that. To each his own I guess.

You've been with UPS for 40+ years and the only new vehicle you have bought is a cheap :censored2: Chevy S-10? Now that's the definition of "tight". :-)

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The wife usually gets a brand new car every 4-5 years, I'm not as bad as that. Cars are bad investments and I don't care about them much anymore. My thinking these days is they just get me from one place to another, I don't care about trying to impress strangers while I'm driving down the road. If it cranks up, radio and A/C works, and it looks halfway decent I'm good.

oldngray

nowhere special
The wife usually gets a brand new car every 4-5 years, I'm not as bad as that. Cars are bad investments and I don't care about them much anymore. My thinking these days is they just get me from one place to another, I don't care about trying to impress strangers while I'm driving down the road. If it cranks up, radio and A/C works, and it looks halfway decent I'm good.

I'm still driving a 2002 Trailblazer. Paid for, runs OK, and still looks good so why would I need something new?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The S-10 I drive now was a closeout model I bought before Chevy came out with the Colorados. My brother worked at the Shreveport GM plant where it was built at the time, it has been a very reliable vehicle that now has 218K miles with nothing but routine maintenance done on it. I bought my wife a new S-10 in '84 a year after we got married, we didn't have kids then and I had bought 75 acres of farmland with my parents and two brothers. The '84 was a total piece of junk that had major transmission and carburetor problems, I almost gave up on GM after that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The S-10 I drive now was a closeout model I bought before Chevy came out with the Colorados. My brother worked at the Shreveport GM plant where it was built at the time, it has been a very reliable vehicle that now has 218K miles with nothing but routine maintenance done on it. I bought my wife a new S-10 in '84 a year after we got married, we didn't have kids then and I had bought 75 acres of farmland with my parents and two brothers. The '84 was a total piece of junk that had major transmission and carburetor problems, I almost gave up on GM after that.

I have had both the S-10 and the Colorado. Both were manual transmission and 2WD. I preferred the Colorado over the S-10.

JL 0513

All depends on your interests and priorities. Almost nothing you buy is an investment in the sense that it increases in value other than real estate, precious metals/jewelry, and stocks. Why buy a 60" LED TV when you could find an old black and white that still works for free? Personal pleasure.

Some people are passionate about boats, so they buy a boat. Some love motorcycles. Others have other pricey hobbies. For me, my single biggest interest is cars. I don't like boats or motorcycles. I don't have any hobbies that cost money. So for me personally, it makes sense that I might spend more on a car which is for my own personal pleasure. Has nothing to do with impressing others, although for some people that is the their main drive.

Cementups

Box Monkey
The wife usually gets a brand new car every 4-5 years, I'm not as bad as that.

If that's the case she may as well lease a car if she's going to have constant payments. She can get a new car every 2-3 years with a payment far cheaper than purchase payments. And sometimes all the maintenance is included.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
If that's the case she may as well lease a car if she's going to have constant payments. She can get a new car every 2-3 years with a payment far cheaper than purchase payments.

She presently drives a loaded 2008 Ford Escape that's been paid off for several years. She doesn't work so she will keep it for a few more years. My first two cars, the small block Vega and '69 Corvette, I guess you could call me a car guy with those. I did double my money on the Corvette when I finally sold it. Most vehicles are just poor investments. Spend over 50K on a pickup truck? I just shake my head when I walk by those in the employee parking lot. That goes for the sports and luxury cars too.

Last edited:

brownburro

a60df901b60c964ae394cfc8afc337ee.jpg

I'll stick to two wheels when I'm not driving a brown truck.