UPS drivers & their pickup trucks.

rod

Retired 22 years
It's not that it's too much. It's that it's stupid to pay that much. He could of found one on the lot with 1 option he didn't like and got it for 65k or less.

He told me both him and the local dealer searched every dealer lot in the US and also car sites on the internet and couldn't come up with even one that was up to his specs. I should add that this guy has more money than God so it was just another challenge for him to get "exactly" what he wanted.

JL 0513

Ever drive one of either make?

Haven't driven some of the latest models. I watch tons of video car reviews and read lots of written reviews - basically because cars are my biggest "hobby". These vehicles receive some of the highest praise now. The Sorento I mentioned earlier is one of the best driving CUV's in it's class. There's this old idea that they are still sub-par vehicles. People used to think this way about Japanese cars. Things change.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Haven't driven some of the latest models. I watch tons of video car reviews and read lots of written reviews - basically because cars are my biggest "hobby". These vehicles receive some of the highest praise now. The Sorento I mentioned earlier is one of the best driving CUV's in it's class. There's this old idea that they are still sub-par vehicles. People used to think this way about Japanese cars. Things change.

I've driven a handful of Hyundais and Kias over the last six months. The only that impressed me and wasn't a total tin-plated crapbox was a two year old Genesis with 13k miles.

And, it was listed at a little over 30k.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
They are sweet but why get one?

Couple thousand more gets you a full sized truck.
Not sure what they run now but I bought mine new in 07 for 23k out the door. It's not a 4x4, they wanted 3-4 k extra, just got the prerunner SR5 double cab trim. Only bad part at the time is they had very limited trim options, none included leather. I use a bath towel as my seat cover, the interior looks brand new, only installed an after market BT/USB stereo and new speakers. Popped a rubber bed mat in the back as the bed is plastic and stuff was sliding around in turns. Truck looks and drives like its brand new, love it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I've driven a handful of Hyundais and Kias over the last six months. The only that impressed me and wasn't a total tin-plated crapbox was a two year old Genesis with 13k miles.

And, it was listed at a little over 30k.
My friends have a new Sonata it looks sharp. Interested to see how it holds up.

I know lots of Hyundai I've seen in the past fall apart quickly.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
But, when you get to 90 or 100k and have to replace the timing belt, you have to pull the engine out to change it. They put it at the back of the engine.

(German engineering.)
I'd get myself in trouble with that thing far before I hit 100,000 miles.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Not sure what they run now but I bought mine new in 07 for 23k out the door. It's not a 4x4, they wanted 3-4 k extra, just got the prerunner SR5 double cab trim. Only bad part at the time is they had very limited trim options, none included leather. I use a bath towel as my seat cover, the interior looks brand new, only installed an after market BT/USB stereo and new speakers. Popped a rubber bed mat in the back as the bed is plastic and stuff was sliding around in turns. Truck looks and drives like its brand new, love it.

First thing any Tacoma buyer should do! It took me two days to order the mat.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

A friend of my dad's owns a few dealerships and he sold Hyundai's for a few years but dropped it because they were maintenance nightmares and it was costing a fortune and pissing customers off.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Aren't Sonatas being recalled to have the engines replaced?

There are about twenty sitting on the back lot of the Hyundai store owned by the group I work for.

MAKAVELI

If you're going to spend $50k + on a truck just to play, this would be my choice.
http://m.caranddriver.com/features/2017-ford-friend-150-raptor-in-depth-feature

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Aren't Sonatas being recalled to have the engines replaced?

There are about twenty sitting on the back lot of the Hyundai store owned by the group I work for.
I wouldn't be thrilled. But shoot, you need to throw a new engine in there? Go for it. Thanks for the extra miles for nada.