Ups security guards

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Moved posts about Saturday Air to the UPS Discussions forum under the thread

Saturday Air - Special Premium Service or just another day

tieguy

Banned
your thread jacking the thread when you move posts and tell us you moved them.:happy2:

not that my opinion here matters but I would rather you didnt move the posts since I don't want to have to bounce around all over the site to pick up on previous conversations.

iowa boy

We had some top notch security installed recently at our building. First they put number code locks on all the walk in doors. Every employee has to punch in a four digit code to unlock the door, which is right next to 20 overhead doors standing wide open!!! Next they installed cameras aimed at all the employee entrances. Not real sure what that will acomplish but they get to watch every employee come in and out of the building I guess! There is a fence all the way around the perimiter, with 2 drive thru gate that are always open. One in the front right off a busy street, the other in the back, which I have never seen closed. Also have two walk thru gates that are always open. So in effect they stopped the employees from walking in freely!!! Anyone else can do as they please!!!!

Says a lot about this company doesn't it? I know there are thieves in every business, but come on, to automatically assume that every employee is a thief and every stranger that happens to walk onto the lot can be trusted, isn't this a little extreme?

hypocrisy

Banned
We've had overzealous guards, too lax, and lately just about right. Usually they would be better off watching what p/t'ers throw over the fence than being overzealous at the gate; but I understand that is the first line of defense. We have metal detectors and wands that are failure prone.

The property pass is probably the biggest joke. Do they ever check your permanent property pass with records to see if it belongs to the item it is fixed to? Nope. How many new cell phones did you get property passes for yet nobody asked for the previous pass or noted that it was now invalid? Did anybody really read that handwritten property pass you handed to the guard?

We've had drivers steal stuff out on their routes but they always get caught eventually. We'd have less p/t theft issues if we paid them more and hired from Universities like we used to.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We've had overzealous guards, too lax, and lately just about right. Usually they would be better off watching what p/t'ers throw over the fence than being overzealous at the gate; but I understand that is the first line of defense. We have metal detectors and wands that are failure prone.

The property pass is probably the biggest joke. Do they ever check your permanent property pass with records to see if it belongs to the item it is fixed to? Nope. How many new cell phones did you get property passes for yet nobody asked for the previous pass or noted that it was now invalid? Did anybody really read that handwritten property pass you handed to the guard?

We've had drivers steal stuff out on their routes but they always get caught eventually. We'd have less p/t theft issues if we paid them more and hired from Universities like we used to.

When I got hired as a part-timer 24 years ago, I was a student. They did a complete background and reference check on me. They checked my pee for drugs. The job paid 4X the minimum wage, so I was one of about 15 applicants that wanted it, and I got picked because I was the best qualified.

Today, the job pays minimum wage so we are competing with fast-food restraunts for labor. References aren't checked, and the only qualification required is to have a pulse. Its no wonder then that we are having more issues with theft, since the people we hire have no loyalty or long-term commitment to the job.

As far as drivers stealing packages goes....the reality is that any driver can get away with it once. But a driver who is both dishonest and stupid enough to risk a $70K+benefits career by stealing a package isnt going to stop after doing it "once". He/she almost certainly has additional, underlying issues such a drug or a gambling addiction that will cause them to continue stealing, and at that point it is inevitable that they will be caught.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The property pass is probably the biggest joke. Do they ever check your permanent property pass with records to see if it belongs to the item it is fixed to? Nope. .

Every once in a while, my building goes on a big "security kick" and starts making everybody put stickers on their cell phones.

The genius who put the sticker on my phone...stuck it to the removeable plastic belt clip that snaps onto the outside of the leather case.

I used that same plastic clip for over 4 years, and during that time I upgraded or replaced my phone 3 times....but continued using the same clip and leather case with the same sticker on it!
And this is the same "security" that is supposed to keep me safe from workplace violence by making everybody walk thru a metal detector on the way in?

They are unarmed; they make minimum wage; and they routinely ignore the detector because it was installed in a metal guard shack and it screeches and beeps every time the metal doors open or shut.

With all of the production harassment and mandatory 10.5 hour days being shoved down our throats, I have a genuine fear that somebody at my building is going to lose it one day and "go postal". When that happens, he will be guranteed to have a building chock-full of helpless, unarmed victims at his disposal....and the police will only arrive in time to haul the bodies away.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Every once in a while, my building goes on a big "security kick" and starts making everybody put stickers on their cell phones.

The genius who put the sticker on my phone...stuck it to the removeable plastic belt clip that snaps onto the outside of the leather case.

I used that same plastic clip for over 4 years, and during that time I upgraded or replaced my phone 3 times....but continued using the same clip and leather case with the same sticker on it.

And this is the same "security" that is supposed to keep me safe from workplace violence by making everybody walk thru a metal detector on the way in! They are unarmed; they make minimum wage; and they routinely ignore the detector because it was installed in a metal guard shack and it screeches and beeps every time the metal doors open or shut.

With all of the production harassment and mandatory 10.5 hour days being shoved down our throats, I have a genuine fear that somebody at my building is going to lose it one day and "go postal". When that happens, he will be guranteed to have a building chock-full of helpless, unarmed victims at his disposal....and the police will only arrive in time to haul the bodies away.
Unless of course, you choose not to become a victim and plan ahead, as I know you have.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
How do you plan ahead for a co-worker going postal?
When I was 21 I was accosted and shot on a crowded street in China Town, in broad daylight. I planned ahead for that eventuality by saying that I would not just lay down and die if I ever got shot or stabbed, (like they always do on TV). Even though I was shot in the neck and the bullet hit my jugular vein, I made my way to a "safe place", was "found" by police officer's , who then "drove" me to the hospital, where I was rushed into surgery and saved. Even though I take credit for this life saving action, I must give credit to God, who was the one that actually saved me. This is all part of the plan.

Pray when your day starts, (upon awakening). When I say pray, it sounds pretty broad, but if you want details on how to pray, PM me. I don't want people to start freaking out and saying that I turned this into another religious Hi-Jack.

Always keep in mind that someone may want to harm you/other's and keep an escape route or 2 in your mind. That's how I prepare, how about you?

Be REALLY nice to them and make sure you are on the otherside of the building from them whenever you see them agitated or really quiet.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I see the advice of UPS during a hold up is to give them what they want, and carry no more than 200 dollars worh of suff on you seeing as how this is all UPS is going to reimburse you. I raise the BS flag on this one. If and when this happens to me I am prepared. I know how to take that gun or knife from someone and I will shove it up their wazoo. The title of the thread will be "UPS driver held up. Gunman rushed to ER with gun shot wounds and gun shoved up his wazoo"