Ups testing delivering ground on saturdays

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I'm wondering how this will work? Are you working Saturday ground as overtime, or do you have a day off during the week?

Having a day off means less drivers for the M-friend crew one day of the week. How do you plan for that, especially when things get light? And if things are heavy, do you just pound the drivers?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread about this yet...
O97G1_s-200x150.gif

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Volunteers or force from the bottom?
Both, about 4 have volunteered, the rest will be forced from the bottom. They've hired about 10 FT drivers that have been training for the past two weeks for Tue-Sat. The thing no one has yet to address is what happens Tuesday-Friday when everyone is entitled to 8 hrs a day.

My thoughts are at first most senior drivers will be ok with going home 2-3 times a week, around here people fight not to work. This mentality will last about 2-3 weeks until they start to feel the lower weekly pay checks. That's when it will get interesting as these new hire will want their 40 as they probably quit their other FT job to take this one.

Last edited:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Anyone ran a Saturday ground day yet? How's it different than M-friend. Any pickups? All resis?
In the western states there is a 35 cent per hour premium for working a tues-sat gig. you do not get time and a half for Saturday work on this schedule but all other overtime rules apply. sometimes drivers on this kind of run would be called in on Monday and they would have to be paid time and a half for all hours worked that Monday.

you may want to check your supplement on that.

we had several feeder runs that were tues-sat. It was sweet working Saturday when no one was around. and you would come in at 3-4 oclock in the morning. they would have to give you the gate code and you would have the whole yard to yourself. and another benny was being on a paper time card because you could not go into the building. you would leave all your paperwork, keys , etc. in a drop box. even one day a week without management was great . it did not even feel like work.

same with the layover runs that came in late Saturday or Sundays.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I'm wondering how this will work? Are you working Saturday ground as overtime, or do you have a day off during the week?

Having a day off means less drivers for the M-friend crew one day of the week. How do you plan for that, especially when things get light? And if things are heavy, do you just pound the drivers?
They are hiring drivers for the added day of service, we'll be overstaffed Wend-Friday.

JL 0513

There's been zero talk about this in my center. Is this a program that is starting primarily in big city markets with the prospect of expanding?

As someone with a very young family, I will be quite aggrevated by the idea of losing the primary family day of the week. It's not what any one of us signed up for. Our wives and children will be at work and school Mondays while we would be forced home. Selfishly that would be nice to have the day to yourself but it is awful for your family especially when you don't get home until 8pm throughout the week.

ManInBrown

I'm very anxious to find out how they plan on implementing this. I am one of the lowest bid drivers in my center seniority wise, and my route is usually cut one or two Mondays a month. I probably have 15 total drivers beneath me on the seniority list. One or two bid drivers, the rest cover. The only way I'm working T-S is if I'm forced. Was speaking with another driver in my center and he said in our local, 177 you cannot be forced in on a Saturday under any conditions. I don't think he knows the contract. I believe there is wording that allows it. I am going to be extremely :censored3: if I become a T-S driver. And they better never even think of calling me on a Monday morning asking me if I can come in. On one hand I'm anxious to find out how they plan on implementing this. On the other hand I don't think I want to know.

Like JL who I believe is in the same local, not a single word of this at all in my center from management.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm very anxious to find out how they plan on implementing this. I am one of the lowest bid drivers in my center seniority wise, and my route is usually cut one or two Mondays a month. I probably have 15 total drivers beneath me on the seniority list. One or two bid drivers, the rest cover. The only way I'm working T-S is if I'm forced. Was speaking with another driver in my center and he said in our local, 177 you cannot be forced in on a Saturday under any conditions. I don't think he knows the contract. I believe there is wording that allows it. I am going to be extremely :censored3: if I become a T-S driver. And they better never even think of calling me on a Monday morning asking me if I can come in. On one hand I'm anxious to find out how they plan on implementing this. On the other hand I don't think I want to know.

Like JL who I believe is in the same local, not a single word of this at all in my center from management.
UPS never leaks "technology" or otherwise changes with employees. It's usually hush-hush union/mgmt for the 30 days (if that long), then everyone is affected in the blind. :D
"plan for the unexpected"

JL 0513

UPS never leaks "technology" or otherwise changes with employees. It's usually hush-hush union/mgmt for the 30 days (if that long), then everyone is affected in the blind. :D
"plan for the unexpected"

It's true. For example, before Orion came to my center, the center (mgt) never spoke a word about it. If you were a driver who didn't learn about it on BC or other driver word of mouth, you had never even heard of it. All of a sudden, the Orion team just showed up.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It's true. For example, before Orion came to my center, the center (mgt) never spoke a word about it. If you were a driver who didn't learn about it on BC or other driver word of mouth, you had never even heard of it. All of a sudden, the Orion team just showed up.
It's a dire and twisted dynamic if you ask me. :D