USPS loses $2 billion this spring...

purplesky

Doesn't look like the postal service is going to right the ship any time soon.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...oses-2-billion-this-spring/?intcmp=latestnews

Its amazing how fast technology(in the last 20 years) and the internet has changed the world. Looks like shopping malls will also die a slow death.

Banking is going to really change also. I go into a actual bank about 2 times a year. My credit union about 2 times also.

Gas stations will be almost completely gone within 20 years. Remember pay phones? Remember Blockbuster?

3D printing could really shake things up? What about self-driving cars in 15 years? It will happen.

If Tesla builds a car low income people can afford it will really change our world.
BMW and Toyota also have cars on the way that might be game changers.

Its wild to think about the world in 25 years? What will UPS be doing? If anybody is going to use drones for delivery UPS will be first and probably the best.

The funny thing about junk mail in 2014 is that it is more effective than email now, Because nobody even reads their email these days and you have to check through your USPS junk mail to make sure nothing important is mixed in.:laughing2:

purplesky

^ Truth. Something like 5 billion a year.

Add that to the fact they're only supposed to 'break even' under federal law.... no thanks.

The PO hasn't taken federal money since the 8O's. In fact, congress has forced them to set aside an additional $5B for retiree benefits.
They supposedly have their postal employee pensions covered.

Too bad congress hasn't set aside all social security payments we have been paying in. Al Gore was actually right about the lock box for social security. Oh well.

purplesky

All the while the USPS functions with numerous advantages over UPS. Yet we make billions in profit, they lose billions.

#1, the post office gets to just drive up to 10's, if not 100's of millions of mailboxes along the edge of the road and deliver without leaving their vehicle. As UPS'ers, most of our day is spent walking off packages all the way to the door step.

#2, volume efficiency - they have revenue coming from just about every address, everyday. Our delivery points are all spread out.

#3, We have to drive all the way up to every stop, while our friends at the post office often have mailboxes clustered together in many areas allowing them to not even go to the home/condo/apt. One stop, dozens of deliveries.

These huge advantages, and they can't make a buck.

Well remember that UPS and FDX both make big money off the post office.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If the Post Office were allowed to operate like any other corporation, with the ability to consolidate operations, close less than profitable branches and increase revenue, they would be just fiine.

Our local carriers are already putting in 60 hour weeks and have had enough.

I agree with TOS in that the PO needs to be privatized.

Photog, I wonder how many here know what franking rights are?
The main problem with the Post Office, besides not being able to raise rates without the PRC approval, is that they still subsidize parcel rates with first class mail revenue.

In order to compete with UPS and FedEx, the postal service has to charge less for their packages than what it costs to deliver them. They made up for it in the profits that first class mail generated through their monopoly. With first class mail dwindling due to faxes, e-mail, etc, they cannot make up for the losses in packages anymore.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

The Post Office will "right the ship" in about two years, in 2016, when the ridiculous pre-funding of their pension for the next 70 years that Congress is making them do will finally end. Then they'll go back to the billion-plus in profit that they were prior to the order.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The Post Office will "right the ship" in about two years, in 2016, when the ridiculous pre-funding of their pension for the next 70 years that Congress is making them do will finally end. Then they'll go back to the billion-plus in profit that they were prior to the order.
They lost $15 Billion in 2012, $5 Billion in 2013 and expect to lose $10 Billion in 2014. How is stopping a $5 Billion payment to the pension, health and welfare, going to allow them to make $1 Billion? Do the math.

According to AWPU(American Postal Workers Union):

05/09/2014 - Midway through the fiscal year, the USPS is reporting a $1 billion profit from operations, with $261 million of that amount from the second quarter.

But you won’t read that in the mainstream media. Instead, you’ll hear – once again – that the Postal Service suffered losses of billions of dollars.

And JL 0513 or JL0 for short, you don't seem to know much about USPS so stop talking like every mail carrier out there has a route that doesn't require walking. I can tell you this, I work in a big city and I walk everything. 30k+ steps a day over 9 miles a day and that's with a big ass purse on our shoulder.
We also play UPS driver on Sundays and I can tell you I prefer to deliver packages than walk up and down people's steps to deliver bills and junk mail and we even deliver them circulars also. We also don't have someone loading our truck up either. We do all of that.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Cut Saturday mail and go to a hub system for deliveries just like we do. Hire part timers to sort, process, etc, so carriers can deliver a much larger area.

JL 0513

According to AWPU(American Postal Workers Union):
...And JL 0513 or JL0 for short, you don't seem to know much about USPS so stop talking like every mail carrier out there has a route that doesn't require walking. I can tell you this, I work in a big city and I walk everything. 30k+ steps a day over 9 miles a day and that's with a big ass purse on our shoulder.
We also play UPS driver on Sundays and I can tell you I prefer to deliver packages than walk up and down people's steps to deliver bills and junk mail and we even deliver them circulars also. We also don't have someone loading our truck up either. We do all of that.

When did I say every carrier has easy routes with no walking? I was referring as a whole, the post office has 10's, if not 100's of millions of addresses that have mailboxes mounted on the edge of the road. Basically, most suburban and rural addresses. Yes, you walk off city routes. Those make up the other 100+ million addresses. I know what I'm talking about. I see it all day long.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Most of the rural deliveries here are done by contract carriers. The mail is sorted, processed and loaded in to the trays by inside workers. The carriers do load their own cars and they do work very long days, much longer than my day. They are on road by 8am and I have seen them on road as I drive home at 6:30pm.

Resident know-it-all.

soc151

Most of the rural deliveries here are done by contract carriers. The mail is sorted, processed and loaded in to the trays by inside workers. The carriers do load their own cars and they do work very long days, much longer than my day. They are on road by 8am and I have seen them on road as I drive home at 6:30pm.

Resident know-it-all.

Well doesn't that business model sound familiar...

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
AS we have discussed on this board many times over, the postal service is dead as a functioning business.

Despite cutbacks, layoffs and closures, they continue to lose revenue due to online banking and billing.

First class mail continues to bleed revenue and every other class mail has lost money for over 15 years.

The only savior for the postal service would be to privatize the delivery aspect to private companies, layoff all the workers, and place their pensions into the PBGC where they would get 25 cents on the dollar.

Wages are too high for the revenue levels. Benefits are too high for the revenue levels.

Costs will continue to skyrocket and killing saturday service wouldnt make a dent in the debt. This year in total, the USPS will lose close to 19 billion dollars and thats not a recipe for success.

Since there is no tax payer assistance for the postal service, no government bailout would be possible.

Throwing out all the postal carriers would kill the unemployment rate, but in the long run it would save the postal service allbeit reduced to transportation and sorting for final delivery by private companies.

TOS.

I thought you were a big union and solidarity guy? You're awful quick to throw our brothers and sisters at the USPS under the bus.

The USPS is operating in the red because of a pre-funding mandate set by Congress in 2006 during the Bush years. They're required to pre-fund retiree healthcare benefits 75 years in advance -- they're paying for retirement bennies for people who haven't even been born yet.

If you remove the pre-funding requirement, the USPS operates in the black. See: http://www.apwu.org/news/web-news-article/based-falsehood-ryan-budget-would-plunder-postal-service

rod

Retired 22 years
I could put together a plan in 30 minutes that would save the PO 10 billion a year. Old people would fight it all the way.

What do you consider old? If you are a teenager I'm sure 30 is old---how about if you are 30- then 50 would be -----it never ends. I'm 66 and all of a sudden 70 don't feel all that old to me---maybe 80 is though. P.S. They could deliver the mail twice a week and it would be fine with me. I just got back from being gone for 3 weeks and 99% of the mail crap went right into the trash.