Washington Post Slam

705red

Browncafe Steward
There is a difference in writing a letter of your own free choice as I did separate from UPS. However how come UPS gave us a copy of responses and we were not allowed to alter from them. How come we couldn't seal the envelopes ourselves? And don't use the excuse that because they had to make a copy!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
There is a difference in writing a letter of your own free choice as I did separate from UPS. However how come UPS gave us a copy of responses and we were not allowed to alter from them. How come we couldn't seal the envelopes ourselves? And don't use the excuse that because they had to make a copy!

I deviated from the examples, made copies and sealed the envelopes.
I wish they had volunteered to make copies and seal mine. :wink2:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If fedex is an airline then they should have to operate like an airline. Airlines don't transport their passengers to a final destination. All fedex customers should have to pick up their packages at the airport or fedex should have contract with a trucking company to deliver them.

Exactly. Our airplanes land on streets every day and the captain and FO alternate jumping down from the cockpit to make deliveries. Don't tell me you've never seen this happen.

Bottom line...FedEx and UPS are both Systems Integrators. Their respective operations run in remarkably similar fashion. In fact, many FedEx operating practices are directly copied from UPS practices.

I deviated from the examples, made copies and sealed the envelopes.
I wish they had volunteered to make copies and seal mine. :wink2:

I also deviated from the examples, but only had 15 minutes to write 2 letters and address 4 envelopes. You probably had a little more time.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I also deviated from the examples, but only had 15 minutes to write 2 letters and address 4 envelopes. You probably had a little more time.
You are right ... I wrote my letter and addressed the envelopes at home and then made copies and sealed at work.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
In fact, many FedEx operating practices are directly copied from UPS practices
There is good reason for that.

In the 80's, there was a push to create a teamwork of management and drivers to go after business. As a result, management was told they had to respect the drivers. At that time there were a lot of sups that could not handle the change, so they went to fedex and took the internal workings at UPS with them. They also took the great distain for having to work with union labor with them.

Your gain, our loss. :congrats:

Hope you enjoyed them as much as we enjoyed sending them.

d

Ms.PacMan

Personally, without card check, I dont think Fedex will become union.

d

I don't think they will unionize either. The air drivers seem happy making, what? $18-20/hr, delivering small parcels.

And there is still the problem of the independent FedEx ground contractors....so what's the point to this....who will unionize?

Does UPS only want their sales force use FedEx tactics and be able to SAY that they now can unionize and potentially strike - is that the level playing field?

Nothing above was written sarcastically - I'm really trying to wrap my head around what UPS thinks will come about (aside from the level playing field rhetoric).

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
we are sick and tired (as a sales force) having FEDEX reps point out everyday how they are a better company because they are protected from strike disruptions, unlike UPS. and then they say, oh by the way, we are not picking up your packages WHEN UPS going on strike unless you start shipping with us now.

But, in reality, we want them to unionize and raise their costs. that is the level playing field.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
There is good reason for that.

In the 80's, there was a push to create a teamwork of management and drivers to go after business. As a result, management was told they had to respect the drivers. At that time there were a lot of sups that could not handle the change, so they went to fedex and took the internal workings at UPS with them. They also took the great distain for having to work with union labor with them.

Your gain, our loss. :congrats:

Hope you enjoyed them as much as we enjoyed sending them.

d

Good post. Many of our stinkiest big cheeses are straight from UPS, so they brought a lot of the Brown playbook with them. The fact that the anti-union sentiment is still deeply ingrained in their pea brains is great for Fred because he has a ready-made cadre' of synchophants who love keeping us down. You can have all of them back. Now would be a good time to welcome them "home".

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
But, in reality, we want them to unionize and raise their costs. that is the level playing field.
REally? THat is the only reason UPS wants the to get out from under the RLA? To raise the cost of living on America during this downturn in the economy, just to level your playing field?

d

tworavens

JuniorMember for 24 Years
REally? THat is the only reason UPS wants the to get out from under the RLA? To raise the cost of living on America during this downturn in the economy, just to level your playing field?

d

Of course that is the reason. Is UPS worried about the plight of the downtrodden Express couriers? Hardly. Will UPS be able to lower its rates if Fedex is under the NLRA? I don't see how.

If the threat of unionization forces Fedex to pay out more to its drivers in wages and benefits and causes Fedex to raise its rates, UPS stands to gain tremendously. It will only raise the cost of doing business for those firms that continue to use Fedex and pay their higher rates, since it will presumably cost less to ship with us. To say it raises the cost of living on America is a bit of a stretch, IMO.

FedEX 4 Life

To say it raises the cost of living on America is a bit of a stretch, IMO.
Maybe its not a bit of a stretch.Imagine if the teamsters control the 2 largest shipping companies in the world,they can set whatever prices they want.No way would shipping prices ever go down.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender

d

how would fedex making less profit "raise the cost of living on america?" it's the union that would negotiate the higher wages for fedex if they are given the chance to be "on a level playing field", not UPS.

705red

Browncafe Steward
we are sick and tired (as a sales force) having FEDEX reps point out everyday how they are a better company because they are protected from strike disruptions, unlike UPS. and then they say, oh by the way, we are not picking up your packages WHEN UPS going on strike unless you start shipping with us now.

Maybe you should tell the higher ups at UPS not to continually violate the contract and when it comes time to negotiate show up serious and not propose horse crap! If this would happen you would never even hear a upser say the word "strike"!

tworavens

Maybe its not a bit of a stretch.Imagine if the teamsters control the 2 largest shipping companies in the world,they can set whatever prices they want.No way would shipping prices ever go down.

Last time I checked the Teamsters didn't determine the rates at UPS, rather they bargain contractual wages for the employees. It's up to UPS to figure out how to run profitably within that wage framework, and part of that profitability is setting the proper rate structure. Such would be the case at Fedex if they were unionized as well. Think of two competing unionized freight carriers competing for business. Are you suggesting that two such companies are colluding to keep rates artificially high? No, each company wants as much business as they can get, so that puts downward pressure on rates.

klein

Für Meno :)
Last time I checked the Teamsters didn't determine the rates at UPS, rather they bargain contractual wages for the employees. It's up to UPS to figure out how to run profitably within that wage framework, and part of that profitability is setting the proper rate structure. Such would be the case at Fedex if they were unionized as well. Think of two competing unionized freight carriers competing for business. Are you suggesting that two such companies are colluding to keep rates artificially high? No, each company wants as much business as they can get, so that puts downward pressure on rates.

He's just saying wages will be much closer, so will benefits.
Like the car industry.
I personally don't think it's great to have same wages. Sounds like old Russia to me.
I think this works just great as it is, non union -versus union.
How many Toyotas and Hondas, etc, drive the streets of America ?
It's because they offer more for your money.
Here we are, so patriotic, yet, half the UPS employee parking lot is full of imports.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Maybe you should tell the higher ups at UPS not to continually violate the contract and when it comes time to negotiate show up serious and not propose horse crap! If this would happen you would never even hear a upser say the word "strike"!

uhmm no. this is for another thread for another day.

tworavens

Yeah,i guess you are right.The Teamsters have no power at all.They only argue for wages.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure that's not what I said. Let me reread my post to make sure...................Nope, I didn't say that. Shall I go back and edit my post so that your reply actually has relevance?