What happened after the 97 strike was over?

ManInBrown

I wasn't a UPS employee back then. Did all drivers that went on strike get their jobs back when the strike was over? Did the company cherry pick drivers they wanted gone? Also PT employees?

PT Car Washer

I wasn't a UPS employee back then. Did all drivers that went on strike get their jobs back when the strike was over? Did the company cherry pick drivers they wanted gone? Also PT employees?
All the drivers came back to work, including the ones that crossed the picket line. A lot of PTers who walked the picket line lost their jobs. The reason given was because of lost volume. The high seniority PTers who stayed were working double sorts for well over a year and making buku bucks.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
All employees kept their jobs.
The ones that crossed the line were treated very fairly by management because management realized the Union would not represent them as required by law.
Many picket crossers that had accidents were not given warning or suspension letters to show thanks.

By The Book

When the strike was over, it was back to work. Since the two sides came up with an agreement everyone had their job, by seniority if there was enough work for them.Think of it like an extension but we weren't working. The company was under contract again so they couldn't cherry pick employees.

ManInBrown

How were the ones that crossed the picket line treated by hourlies that didn't when the strike was over. I know it's a personal decision and everyone has to do whats right for them but I couldn't imagine crossing the picket line. Wouldn't be for me.

PT Car Washer

How were the ones that crossed the picket line treated by hourlies that didn't when the strike was over. I know it's a personal decision and everyone has to do whats right for them but I couldn't imagine crossing the picket line. Wouldn't be for me.
In my building the drivers that crossed were treated with more respect then they deserved. Union members were warned not to create a hostile environment . Most employees just wanted to get back to work. The scab drivers were not treated any better or worse by management for crossing.

ManInBrown

In my building the drivers that crossed were treated with more respect then they deserved. Union members were warned not to create a hostile environment . Most employees just wanted to get back to work. The scab drivers were not treated any better or worse by management for crossing.
I know it's a long time ago but if you remember or talked to any at the time why did they cross?
Needed the money or were afraid when the strike was over they wouldn't get their job back?

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Orion happened. We can never go on strike again. We will do like the last contract. Work till the union concession fest. Then the members won't vote again

robot

Has A Large Member
In my feeder department the scabs are blacklisted out of sleeper runs. The only way a scab can run a sleeper is if they win a bid. They are never asked to cover when someone is on vacation.

We had a scab win a run a few years ago. His codriver got blacklisted and whenever one of them was on vacation they had to put the whole run up for bid or contractor had to run it. It was understood that if anyone covered for the scabs they'd be blacklisted by the other drivers.

Some of the top hands still don't talk to a few of the scabs in our department.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
When the strike was over, it was back to work. Since the two sides came up with an agreement everyone had their job, by seniority if there was enough work for them.Think of it like an extension but we weren't working. The company was under contract again so they couldn't cherry pick employees.

Where I work, everyone knows who was a scab. No violence, but very few people talk to those scabs. Of course, those that crossed weren't exactly popular before the strike. Strange people do strange things.

By The Book

I think the ones who crossed got flack for awhile and then things were back to normal. The ones who crossed may be dues paying members and can't vote on anything. Ooooooh what a penalty since about 60% of members don't vote anyway. I'm wondering if any supervisors drove routes out to drivers who weren't on the line and had them work, and then the supervisor would drive the truck back to the building.

ManInBrown

Orion happened. We can never go on strike again. We will do like the last contract. Work till the union concession fest. Then the members won't vote again
I agree with Orion. But here's the thing. Go to the FedEx forum and read about them Bitc*ing and moaning about the pay. And how they would love to work at UPS. They wouldn't stick it out for 4 years to get to top pay. No one in their right mind would do this job on 4 year progression. It takes someone with a special work ethic to be willing to wait four years. These kids today don't have that ethic. The drivers on the new contract are already crying at my building about having to wait 4 years. Its a long wait to make good money while your body gets beat to hell

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
In my feeder department the scabs are blacklisted out of sleeper runs. The only way a scab can run a sleeper is if they win a bid. They are never asked to cover when someone is on vacation.

We had a scab win a run a few years ago. His codriver got blacklisted and whenever one of them was on vacation they had to put the whole run up for bid or contractor had to run it. It was understood that if anyone covered for the scabs they'd be blacklisted by the other drivers.

Some of the top hands still don't talk to a few of the scabs in our department.

I like it. Bad behavior has consequences.

EVERYONE knows who the scabs are here. Most have nicknames that indicate as such.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I ignore the scabs.

If we are caught verbally abusing them, we would be in trouble.

Most just ignore the 2 or 3 left in my building.

It's sort of strange, like they are blackballed.

Justice, if you ask me.

PT Car Washer

I know it's a long time ago but if you remember or talked to any at the time why did they cross?
Needed the money or were afraid when the strike was over they wouldn't get their job back?
The one driver that I remember crossed because he did not know if he would be able to make his Corvette payment. Others crossed because they were non Union believers. No PTers crossed in my building and many lost their jobs because of it.