what if wife goes into labor?

johnny_hotdog

So me and my wife have a baby on the way and it got me thinking about what if she were to go into labor while I was at work? Since I am a cover driver I wont really know how far away I will be at the time and I obviously don't want to miss the birth. My thought is that when the time gets closer I will try to take routes that are closer to the hospital. Then if she were to go into labor I would just call a sup and say the truck will be in the parking lot, good luck ;) but I don't really know if there is any protocol for this or any contractual language. Anyone dealt with this before? What would you do in this situation?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Congratulations on the upcoming birth. Make sure you have all your FMLA paperwork in just in case. Make sure your management team is well aware of your situation especially when it gets closer to the due date. Try to schedule your vacations around the due date so you can spend time with the new addition.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Most people schedule a date to give birth. Either induce labor or c section.
Talk with your steward. Abandoning your truck might not fly with management

Z

ZQXC

So why do you think you need to be there for the birth. You were there for the conception; isn't that enough?

Give me just a minute to don my flameproof suit.

OK, ready.

Z

ZQXC

Are you also going to carry the kid around in on of those stomach slings until he/she is 4 years old?

DOK

I waited 2 weeks in the hospital with my wife thinking the baby was coming any day now, she had gone into labor early and was in a hospital an hour and half away from where we live. I ended up going home and back to work while she stayed down at the hospital, things looked stable and she was on bed rest. Well she ended up going into labor a few days later while I was on route. I just drove the truck back to the building and left, they were cool with that, missed the birth though.

Z

ZQXC

With so many scheduled c-sections now the unpredictability of a " birth day " has been eliminated. Kids brought into the world this way should have deliveryday parties.

Z

ZQXC

I waited 2 weeks in the hospital with my wife thinking the baby was coming any day now, she had gone into labor early and was in a hospital an hour and half away from where we live. I ended up going home and back to work while she stayed down at the hospital, things looked stable and she was on bed rest. Well she ended up going into labor a few days later while I was on route. I just drove the truck back to the building and left, they were cool with that, missed the birth though.

And was your life doomed to a destructive downward spiral after that?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Being there is over rated anyway. You look stupid, don't know what the heck is going on, and really much rather be watching the game on TV.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Being there is over rated anyway. You look stupid, don't know what the heck is going on, and really much rather be watching the game on TV.
When my son was born my wife waited until after the Tribe beat the Mariners. Sandy Alomar Jr. and Ken Griffey Jr. both hit home runs so it made sense to name him Joeboopup Jr.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Being there is a once in a lifetime experience. Yes, you look stupid, don't know what the heck is going on and really much rather be watching the game on TV, but there is nothing like watching your newborn baby enter the world.

We had a TV in the room for the birth of our son and I got to watch the Pistons/Celtics. :)

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Do what you can, but once a woman goes into labor, there is usually plenty of time unfortunately between the beginning of labor and birth. Either way arrange she has a way to get to the hospital, number of cab co. friends, whatever.
Woman have had babies for many moons without their husbands there to take the beatings. You will have plenty of time to be there.

Our first I just gave my keys to my on car everyday, the day came and he just met me on route within an hour (40 mins from center) and we switched. Worked awesome. But it all depends on your management team.

jaker

trolling
Being there is a once in a lifetime experience. Yes, you look stupid, don't know what the heck is going on and really much rather be watching the game on TV, but there is nothing like watching your newborn baby enter the world.

We had a TV in the room for the birth of our son and I got to watch the Pistons/Celtics. :)
Why oh why am I agreeing with you lately

seeing your kids being born is something you should be there for , it is really something that will stay with you your whole life

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I've heard some horror stories of management saying things like " isn't this your second kid?" What's the big deal? "

I'll be about an hour and a half away from the hospital when I'm at the center. Could be an hour away from the center on top of that. I plan on being there but :censored2: happens and you just never know.

My wife's a champ she'll be fine weather I'm there or not.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Being there is over rated anyway

Watching my daughter be born is by far, the coolest thing I have ever seen. My wife was a rockstar the whole time.

I was on vacation the week my daughter was born anyway, and she came 2 weeks early and ruined my vacay! Lol

OP, I can't say what you SHOULD do, but I'll tell you what I would do, had I been at work when it happened. I would have called them, while at the same time sending a Diad message saying that "my wife's water broke, I'm dropping the route to get to the hospital, returning to building ASAP". They'd get the same message over the phone. There would be no asking, or answering of questions. I've only dropped a route once before, and it happened to be a day when my wife's grandmother passed, AND we learned that my wife had a miscarriage (Was one hell of a day for us). I called the center and told them, and since there was no emergency, I stayed working until I was relieved.

If your management team knows, and you inform them well in advance of the way you would handle that phone call, you SHOULD be fine. I would talk with your steward though, and run it up his flagpole.