What is considered harassment by supervisors?

sx2700

Banned
Isn't it possible that with 200,000 or so emloyees that there just might be one or two that deserve to be fired? Why is it that just because a person makes it under the radar for 30 days then that person has to be guaranteed a job for life no matter what the circumstances? Some of the old timers at my full time job think a fair days work is just showing up, seriously, they honestly believe it. But, when there is something that needs to be done or there is an emergency then these guys are definitely on the ball, other than that it is coffee and donuts and windshield time.

tourists24

Isn't it possible that with 200,000 or so emloyees that there just might be one or two that deserve to be fired? Why is it that just because a person makes it under the radar for 30 days then that person has to be guaranteed a job for life no matter what the circumstances? Some of the old timers at my full time job think a fair days work is just showing up, seriously, they honestly believe it. But, when there is something that needs to be done or there is an emergency then these guys are definitely on the ball, other than that it is coffee and donuts and windshield time.
What company are you working for? Even our slowest drivers dont fit that description (at least in my center).

sx2700

Banned
What company are you working for? Even our slowest drivers dont fit that description (at least in my center).

My full time job is for an electric(utility) company. I'm not talking about UPS drivers, it's no secret to anybody that they bust their ass. There are plenty of part timers though that need to be shown the door, plain and simple.

tourists24

My full time job is for an electric(utility) company. I'm not talking about UPS drivers, it's no secret to anybody that they bust their ass. There are plenty of part timers though that need to be shown the door, plain and simple.
duh,,, I guess I couldve looked at your avatar,,,

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Hyena you are forgetting something....that the author of the thread admitted they don't know how to type fast and complete the work fast enuogh. and again this is why ALL of these DECAP/ECS/CLERICAL jobs that require any type of adeptness in computer work and typing AT LEAST 40-50wpm should be forced to test and qualify to do so.

Not just thrown into a job the will fail at without the proper practiced computer skills and effectivity.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
It sounds like this rookie is in a newer job and will need some time to get used to typing.

4 months? and she types well enough to post here? and she gets very annoyed when someone tries to train her, and refuses to learn?

get real

d

hyena

Hyena you are forgetting something....that the author of the thread admitted they don't know how to type fast and complete the work fast enuogh. and again this is why ALL of these DECAP/ECS/CLERICAL jobs that require any type of adeptness in computer work and typing AT LEAST 40-50wpm should be forced to test and qualify to do so.

Not just thrown into a job the will fail at without the proper practiced computer skills and effectivity.
Your exactly right they should have made sure he could properly do the job but management has no right to harass him now.Move him somewhere else or train him but they cannot harrass him!

tieguy

Banned
Your exactly right they should have made sure he could properly do the job but management has no right to harass him now.Move him somewhere else or train him but they cannot harrass him!

Her harrassment sounds more like her sup re-training her. She has been moved twice. UPS is not for everyone. It does not sound like there is anything she can do well.

W

westsideworma

sounds like we failed this person here. we're supposed to make people successful at UPS. I've yet to see a person not fit in somewhere at my building...problem is people don't notice it in time to move them then they get frustrated and leave.

I hated unloading (boring I thought), but really liked loading the brownies. Within 3 days I was on a boxline permanently. I know it had nothing to do with me liking it and everything to do with them noticing I had a decent brain in my head (could memorize the alpha-charts). Thing is they noticed and moved me accordingly and it just worked out. This is what needs to happen to make people successful, train them for what they're originally planned for, if they can't hack it (give them time a day is not enough), visualize where you think they could fit.

I had a guy who was sent to me because they thought he was a horrible loader, misloaded all the time etc. Turns out the PALs were messing him up. He had letters that looked similar at a quick glance like 57E and 57F for example and was getting misloads. He moved to my line where we use the first 4 letters of the drivers name (not route IDs) and low and behold the misloads were reduced. Different strokes for different folks. If someone isn't getting it, theres always a reason, maybe they don't care (hey 3am at 9.50 an hour doesn't inspire too many caring workers lol), but maybe there is something we can do to help. Can everyone make it? No probably not, but people who genuinely want a job here can be found a place to succeed, however it just seems like we usually try to ram a square peg in a round hole for too long and force them to do a job that they may not be very good at hoping that somehow they'll pick it up eventually.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
west

i agree that in many cases, raw talent is overlooked by ups in their rush to fill the gaps. many times is the managements team that wouldnt know talent if it hit them between the eyes.

as a driver trainer, there was one type of driver i could do nothing with. that was the driver that knows everything already, therefore i was wasting their time, making them very annoyed when i attempted to show them easier ways to do the job. funny thing, rarely ran into this type of attitude when the new driver had worked part time first, usually off the street or part time sup going into delivery.

this poster........how do i say this........lemme profile

woman, minority woman, maybe with disabilities, someone ups wants to keep on the payroll to show how good a corp citizen they really are

the poster comes off as entitled to the job, no matter how bad her performance is. and when training is offered.........well go back and re-read her posts. she refuses to learn and improve.

as a driver, how long do you think you would last if in a 10 hour day you made 20 deliveries, and brought back 100. at 4 months of service abd the training the offered just annoyed you, and made you want to file

get a grip on reality

d

tieguy

Banned
sounds like we failed this person here. we're supposed to make people successful at UPS. I've yet to see a person not fit in somewhere at my building...problem is people don't notice it in time to move them then they get frustrated and leave.

The person is not successful because she does not want to be. We tried moving her around. It sounds like her sup keeps harrassing her with more training trying to get her squared away.

scoobypanda

Lol...you honestly think supervisors put the effort into doing the 30 day folder? Happens all the time. People who should not make it.....sneak through or the Union pushes them through - seen that as well.

My god...I honestly don't think you work for UPS.

Ok and I told him FILE A ARTICLE 37! OMFG!

Someone that can't do their job slipped through probation because the management team could not do their jobs? I'm with Danny, I am selling all my stock immediately!

705red

Browncafe Steward

4 months? and she types well enough to post here? and she gets very annoyed when someone tries to train her, and refuses to learn?

get real

d
Danny i hear you, but we dont know if it took her 3 days to type that post or 1 hour. All im saying is that you have a fair trial period to learn and adapt to the new position.

Shady Tree at UPS

Youre situation pisses me off more than any and i think all on bc know how pro-union i am. You were given a easier job because you sucked it in preload. This makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. Mgmt. should have taken you from the bid job you were hired into (benefit right there) $1.00 raise right off the bat and in my opinion easier than load/unload and they should have put you in load/unload and rode the crap out of you until you quit.
Example: great small sorter i know quote " I started in the unload; unloaded 3 days and was horrible. 3 days later they came to me and asked if i would be interested in small sort?" "if they would not have moved me i would not be here 12 yrs later" . They did not earn this nor did you, youre underacheivement should not be rewarded. People who have killed themselves and put the time in should be given youre job. They worked with you once and should not give you another chance. Youre quality of ups employee makes me sick go find another job!!!!

P.S. does youre lack of skills/production not make you feel bad about youreself? If it were me i would do everything i could to show i deserved that job!

W

westsideworma

The person is not successful because she does not want to be. We tried moving her around. It sounds like her sup keeps harrassing her with more training trying to get her squared away.

In this case yeah I'd have to agree, if she's been moved in hopes to find something she will do better, then its time to suck it up and pay attention to your training. I wouldn't say (and I know you were being sarcastic tie) its harassment (OP) your supe is trying to help you keep your job, or thats what I'd be doing while at the same time helping you become an asset to your operation. Your supe wants you to do well...for many reasons haha.

Bsullivan

Theres a kid I work with who loads and a supervisor has something personal against him because he swore once. So the Supervisor takes pictures of him loading and tells him to hurry up and scan packages or else he will be fired. That is harassment the supe only does it to him and no one else so i got him a steward.