What was your experience the first day you went out with a manual?

DriverMD

First of all, my user-name has nothing to do with Seinfeld.

Second, it's sad that your generation and following generations are losing simple skills like being able to shift gears yourself. What else do you let technology or others do for you?
Im sorry I was born when I was. But I adapted to my situation unlike other millenials and got a good paying job out of it. I learned to drive on an automatic cause automatics are what's now. I wouldn't say driving a manual is a simple skill, seeing as manual transmissions are ALMOST obsolete at this time. Get with the times. Modern technology is great.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Im sorry I was born when I was. But I adapted to my situation unlike other millenials and got a good paying job out of it. I learned to drive on an automatic cause automatics are what's now. I wouldn't say driving a manual is a simple skill, seeing as manual transmissions are ALMOST obsolete at this time. Get with the times. Modern technology is great.
Modern Technology is great....till you lose you cell phone and can't call anyone because you don't have any phone #s memorized. We don't need to remember things anymore because electronic devices remember everything for us.

DriverMD

Modern Technology is great....till you lose you cell phone and can't call anyone because you don't have any phone #s memorized. We don't need to remember things anymore because electronic devices remember everything for us.
That a true man. We cant become completely reliant on technology, but its so hard not to when it completely surrounds your everyday life. Although I do remember the number to my favorite chinese place, so that has to count for something.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
That's the nature of the world. Technology improves and humans have less to do. Automatic transmissions had already taken over. It was just cheaper for UPS to keep using those manual transmissions. Look at all the stuff that has changed: There was no EDD back in the day. No auto bulkhead door unlock. Handwritten stops. Manual transmissions and no power steering. Trucks with narrow stepways with the stick shift in the way making it a lot harder to stack packages on the steps. I don't know about you but I'd rather have all the stuff that they implemented instead of that old stuff.

I agree. I just find it sad that some necessary skill are no longer necessary

clean hairy

And how many times after driving a stick the first few days would you get into your automatic personal vehicle, and try to shove in the clutch and slap into 1st to get moving?

clean hairy

At first, I thought it mighta been a thread about Drivers who had a Helper durng Peak named Manuel.
Then, I thought it was asking the wimmen folks about their first date with a guy named Manuel.
Then I realized what the thread was really posted about!
Been a long week, suffering from UPS Fried Brain Syndrome!

asphaltcowboy

Loved it at first but it gets old. On the road test I wasn't using the clutch and sup said you've done this before huh.. Well when your with me go ahead and use it. I learned to drive a super 10 speed kw w900 on country roads when I was 13. My dad had 5 of them. I'll say my one and only day without power steering was hell. I have much respect for the guys whose most of their career was driving one of those turds.

MTbrown

I recently had to spend a few weeks learning to drive a stick so that I could pass the road test. The only thing I'm still having trouble with is downshifting and trying to double clutch because they don't have synchronizers?

I recently had to spend a few weeks learning to drive a stick so that I could pass the road test. The only thing I'm still having trouble with is downshifting and trying to double clutch because they don't have synchronizers?
Depends on the truck. Some of them you need to push the clutch in. Take it out of its current gear. Then push the clutch in again and shift it into the next lowest gear.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sad.
I love driving stick.
First time driving stick I learned how to double clutch.

My older brother tried to teach me how to drive his Ford Econoline van. It had "3 on a tree" and I just could not get the hang of it.

I taught both of my kids how to drive a stick. This came in handy for my daughter when she was the DD at a party and the only car available had a manual transmission.

It has been at least 10 years since I have driven a stick and, truth be told, I don't miss it one bit.

DriverMD is absolutely right.