whats the best way to deal with this new "push" on production? on production.

management's nightmare

"the cardinal sin"
First and foremost everybody, yo have to remember to protect yourself. UPS is theonly company (that i know of) that gets its jollies off of screwing with employees on a constant basis. This whole production push BS is just another phase. After the strike in 97 we had 9.5 instituted. Remember that? There were tons of packaged in our building that didnt get service everyday, untilthey had to eventually cut their nose off to spite their face and let up the overtime again.

If you follow all those stupid rules that they give, practically a new one every week at pcm, it'll conflict with their stupid "habits" and all that safety bs. They are very big on safety (supposedly) so WORK SAFE. This means drinking regularly (as per habits), grab every handrail in and out of the truck, do not over load the handtruck, make more trips with it, dont be rude to customers, make a complete stop at every stop sign, look left right left, count and take off. Right there it eats up time. Dont let sups bully you during an ojs, (like Rog in queens north who pulls the "my mother in law is sick in the hospital so can you speed it up so i could see her, who knows if it'll be the last time - ever).

Take a digital photo of your load every day, especially the ojs ones, keep a log, with weather conditions, load quality, school bus stoppings, fuel trucks, tow trucks, police activity, etc. write a diary and keep it for future reference. that way if they pull you into the office you will have ammo. and remember the sporh is only a suggestive one. our old manager donna **** used to tells us to push back the AM time (time left building so the preload would eat it up). The preload manager larry **** would "instruct" us to leave the building while chucking the nda in the truck while slamming the rear door down. what a beautiful place, i tell people these stories and they look at me like im reciting science fiction or something.

Bottom line, just work as your being watched. Thats it. Perform for them, your an actor in a brown uniform that gets paid well for it, so give 'em what they want, all their stupid BS and then some.

Last edited by a moderator:

tiegirl

tiegirl
How can you "just do your job" when you do your job as they dictate and it is still wrong. Something is wrong with that equation. You do it exactly without deviation as you are told and some how they come up with something that you did wrong.

This is all well thought out... however, to simplify.......JUST DO YOUR JOB!!

tieguy

Banned
Some of the best advice is to follow speed limit perfectly.

Do not run, jog or even walk fast.

Do not take short cuts like back roads or cut through parking lots.

Yellow now means stop!

Take your time pulling out into traffic.

Remember to count 123 after every red light, stop sign, and stopped in traffic!!!

Use your hand cart whenever you can. It is one more thing to unload and reload.

Misloads are a wonderful thing to have to run off and slow down your day.

OCA's are nice to have to break and go do.

I would not be running off ground stops with my air either except for SSI accounts and last stop at 10:25am.

Let your customers know not to help you in advance. Tell them if you have a sup with you do not help.

Bag or tote all of your smalls and put them on belt as well as airs on top belt too.

Do proper pre-trips in full as well as post trips. No short cuts.

Load all your pick ups on shelves and not just thrown on floor.

If customers ASD not filled out finish filling it out for them like date, weight, from address, service level, make them sign or write N/A, business name for to and from so on and so forth.

Fill out each delivery notice in full. No short cuts. Write in entire customer name as well as entire shipper name.

If customers boxes look like they need more tape ask them to add some tape or do it yourself.

Pull all group 2's and fill out paperwork in full.

Do a full T cross on all boxes not delivered.

Answer all DIAD info with complete words and full answers back with no shrt cuts.

If your truck has something wrong with it on area stop and write it up on area so you do not forget.

They want perfection give them perfection.

Follow EDD even if it is wrong.

Then when you are running out of time you will have to break to go do the last few businesses before 5pm.

Remember that when you are to send in your numbers to stop 10 minutes before that time to sort truck looking for misloads on the clock not at lunch.

Take full lunch at your choosing not theirs!

Good luck!

Work hard, work smart, work safe.

Some people spend a lot of time and effort on finding ways to slow down.

LastBest&Final

To Endeavor To Persevere
You'll run out of spots to put it into your board, if you put down every time you take a few seconds for personal things and it takes more time to record the time than you spend taking the picture.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
... When you start to give advice like which bathroom to use so you can screw around with the supervisor, you are only setting yourself up for more of a squeeze. When a person asks for help, that is what they are looking for not the bull you gave them.

If that supervisor is screwing around with me by trying to jam impossible expectations down my throat....he deserves to get screwed back.

If they want to "squeeze" me....I will "squeeze" them twice as hard in return.

Its up to my management to set the tone. I will be as fair and reasonable as they choose to be....or as much of an ass-wipe as they choose to be. I'm just a mirror that reflects and magnifies whatever it is they decide to project.

soberups

Some people spend a lot of time and effort on finding ways to slow down.

Probably because there are also some I.E. people that spend a lot of time and effort finding ways to screw the drivers over on their time allowances.

tieguy

Banned
If that supervisor is screwing around with me by trying to jam impossible expectations down my throat....he deserves to get screwed back.

You're my hero. Tell me the truth sober. You stand in front of the mirror and flex while you do the tough guy talk?

tieguy

Banned
Probably because there are also some I.E. people that spend a lot of time and effort finding ways to screw the drivers over on their time allowances.

I've always been of the opinion that if someone like Brave took all that time, energy and creativity dedicated towards finding ways to slow down and used it to get the job done then he would have a lot less headaches at work.

I've always been of the opinion that if someone like Brave took all that time, energy and creativity dedicated towards finding ways to slow down and used it to get the job done then he would have a lot less headaches at work.

I'm of the opinion that if he did not take the time and energy, he would get more done yes, then management would decide that if he has no problem getting that done he can get more done, and load him up with more work until he gets hurt or does something wrong then they could fire him and get someone else to do the job for cheapier.

pretzel_man

Its up to my management to set the tone. I will be as fair and reasonable as they choose to be....or as much of an ass-wipe as they choose to be. I'm just a mirror that reflects and magnifies whatever it is they decide to project.

I feel the same way too. If someone is purposely screwing with me, I will take a harder stance and be relentless. This is not my preferred style, however.

Over the years I've learned that the vast majority of our people (management and hourly) come to work every day and want to do a good job. (There is another thread about working hard and liking it).

I've learned to treat people as individuals and give the benefit of the doubt. I'm assuming that you do the same? (I've had to read between the lines to gather that opinion)

All that being said, its clear to me that there are some on this board that do not share those ideals. They use every opportunity to bash either management or union.

I guess it comes down to the old addages:
- Do unto others...
- What goes around...
I think there are two sides to things. I'll bet I see some one-sided responses.

P-Man

soberups

You're my hero. Tell me the truth sober. You stand in front of the mirror and flex while you do the tough guy talk?

No, I avoid looking at mirrors or standing on scales whenever possible. There are some things that I would prefer to remain in denial over.

I'm not a "tough guy" either. I hate confrontations and arguments. I have found that the best way to avoid them in the first place is to project strength and confidence rather than weakness and fear.

In a perfect world there would be no need for any of this, because management would respect the contract and honor the concept of a fair day's work for a fair day's pay. Unfortunately, we dont live in such a world and all too frequently UPS's concept of what constitutes a fair days work is at best unrealistic and at worst utterly ludicrous.

I have worked 14 hour days in 100-degree heat and bitter cold. Im OK with all of that, it is the nature of the job. The only part of this job that has ever truly gotten to me is when some desk-bound paper pusher wanted to judge my performance and get into my face because I couldnt produce an impossible number on a piece of paper.

soberups

I've learned to treat people as individuals and give the benefit of the doubt. I'm assuming that you do the same? (I've had to read between the lines to gather that opinion)
P-Man

I always try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and I always try to remember that, in the end, we are all just human beings who come to UPS every day in order to earn a living.

Unfortunately, when I have a discussion with a supervisor regarding production or other job expectations, I am not really talking to him....I am talking through him to his boss or his boss's boss. And the discussion can never be truly honest or productive because the person I am talking to is not a decision-maker. He has no real authority. He cant fix problems or change anything. Not to mention that there is an entire aspect to the debate....the fairness of the time allowance itself...that cannot be discussed, disputed or even acknowledged. The allowance is chiseled in stone and it will never be corrected or changed, even if all parties involved agree that it is not fair.

For all practical purposes, the on-car supervisor or center manager is a guy whose only job it is to make the square peg of the time allowance fit into the round hole of reality. His job is made even more difficult by the fact that his only tool is a hammer. He might be a decent human being and I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but after a while the business end of that hammer starts to hurt. I do my best to remember that, in the end, he is little more than a puppet and he might be holding the hammer but it is someone higher up than him who is actually swinging it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I always try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and I always try to remember that, in the end, we are all just human beings who come to UPS every day in order to earn a living.

Unfortunately, when I have a discussion with a supervisor regarding production or other job expectations, I am not really talking to him....I am talking through him to his boss or his boss's boss. And the discussion can never be truly honest or productive because the person I am talking to is not a decision-maker. He has no real authority. He cant fix problems or change anything. Not to mention that there is an entire aspect to the debate....the fairness of the time allowance itself...that cannot be discussed, disputed or even acknowledged. The allowance is chiseled in stone and it will never be corrected or changed, even if all parties involved agree that it is not fair.

For all practical purposes, the on-car supervisor or center manager is a guy whose only job it is to make the square peg of the time allowance fit into the round hole of reality. His job is made even more difficult by the fact that his only tool is a hammer. He might be a decent human being and I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but after a while the business end of that hammer starts to hurt. I do my best to remember that, in the end, he is little more than a puppet and he might be holding the hammer but it is someone higher up than him who is actually swinging it.

No, I avoid looking at mirrors or standing on scales whenever possible. There are some things that I would prefer to remain in denial over.

I'm not a "tough guy" either. I hate confrontations and arguments. I have found that the best way to avoid them in the first place is to project strength and confidence rather than weakness and fear.

In a perfect world there would be no need for any of this, because management would respect the contract and honor the concept of a fair day's work for a fair day's pay. Unfortunately, we dont live in such a world and all too frequently UPS's concept of what constitutes a fair days work is at best unrealistic and at worst utterly ludicrous.

I have worked 14 hour days in 100-degree heat and bitter cold. Im OK with all of that, it is the nature of the job. The only part of this job that has ever truly gotten to me is when some desk-bound paper pusher wanted to judge my performance and get into my face because I couldnt produce an impossible number on a piece of paper.
Thanks Sober, well said.