When do you say its over?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I said mostly. Every state and district is obviously unique but yes MOST are underfunded.
I'll tell you this, these folks in the state pensions have massively underfunded pensions but being loyal Democrats, they keep voting in the same Democrats doing the damage.

Our clown governor is busy shutting every business he can and now that tax revenues are way down, he wants to forgo -guess what?... pension payments! Not once do any of these people consider cutting or laying off.

oldngray

nowhere special
I'll tell you this, these folks in the state pensions have massively underfunded pensions but being loyal Democrats, they keep voting in the same Democrats doing the damage.

Our clown governor is busy shutting every business he can and now that tax revenues are way down, he wants to forgo -guess what?... pension payments! Not once do any of these people consider cutting or laying off.
Why should they care? Taxpayers will pay for any shortages.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Trust me the Illinois pension is as bad as it gets and like I said 3% raise every year.

quad decade guy

If you can get out then do it. UPS is a sinking ship. Go out while it still has a decent reputation and isn’t so bad to work for. We’re being undercut and losing many accounts to our competitors that have a never ending revolving door of idiots that will literally do the job for a fraction of the pay/benefits. And we can’t claim the service is better anymore so there’s that too.

Many of the accounts that are left are slowly diverting volume to the USPS FedEx Ground in an attempt to cut costs and make up some of their losses from being closed for a month or two. But it’s not being noticed by the average UPS driver because of the current increase in online shopping. When that is over we’ll likely see a drastic dip in volume and UPS will tighten their belts like never before and those of us that are still here will be dealing with management that is under more pressure to appease stock holders than they’ve ever experienced before. Their decisions (top to bottom) have already been questionable lately. I see that getting much worse. I wish I was eligible for retirement. I’d be gone for sure.
Ok. You retire. THEN....your pension gets cut/eliminated. What now? You just quit one of the highest paying blue collar jobs in the world.

Faceplanted

And when you out live that? And lose it in the market? Etc.?
Seriously? Another guy that If it wasn’t for ups would be a burger flipper

Imagine being able to,
as you get closer to retirement.... reducing your exposure to market fluctuations by moving your funds into bonds/precious metals ect....

sounds crazy right? Well it takes 10 min to do on your prudential account. No wonder your still working. I bet you still have a mortgage too.

Last edited:

clean hairy

The best is when you try and enter through the passenger door
Or, you to the lumber yard and buy stuff for you and a couple of neighbors.
You then load it into your pickup in proper delivery stop order.
Worse yet, you pull up to the first neighbor house, and start looking for the diad!

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Or, you to the lumber yard and buy stuff for you and a couple of neighbors.
You then load it into your pickup in proper delivery stop order.
Worse yet, you pull up to the first neighbor house, and start looking for the diad!
The worst is blowing the horn when backing into your driveway

FromOffTheStreets

10 and out, no doubt about it. Everything I’m doing is planning ahead for a career change at 40. I have 7 years left to use this job to advance my life financially. My fiancée has a great gig that rivals our pay scale. She is about to buy a house, I already own one. I’ll take the buyout after 10 and throw it in the pile. Might be a teacher, counselor, something along those lines. But I’m not sticking around here into my 40’s...I already know that I dislike the culture at UPS; treating humans like interchangeable robots. I would be a fool to not take advantage of the resources I have and gtfo of here while my back and knees are still in tact.
Agreed. Stay in as long as it "makes sense" is my motto. Might be 5 more, maybe 10 if its still functioning that far out.
I enjoy the work. Driving around delivering packages & conversing with people. It just overwhelms your life, no more golf or basketball or softball or bowling leagues. Not much family time. Vacations just become work weeks full of projects you don't have time for.
I would actually be tempted to take 7 or 8 bucks an hour pay cut for year round 8 hr. Days & 3 extra vacation weeks! I'd stick around til retirement age in that case.

tourists24

My 55th birthday this year falls on a Wednesday,I will work that Thursday and Friday and That's all she wrote.
Stop counts thru the roof, Incompetent Management, Constant Confrontation with Management, Terrible Loads and Dispatch......... I'm done. If this were still 1985 UPS I'd stick around a few more years but I have ZERO reason to do so in 2020.
Congrats brother... rock on

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
I have to stop myself from doing this and it annoys me
I almost gave a dog treat to a kid the other day
It has been an interesting year working 50 plus hour days and, even a few Saturdays, since the middle of March
I do not see this Pandemic ending anytime soon
Let the games begin when peak comes around