When will contract negotations resume?

slantnosechevy

And only 64% of part-time employees nation wide show up for work and on time everyday that they're scheduled to work. The union would have far better negotiating power if you could get that number above 85%. Make the company respect you by not giving them the bullets for the gun.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
This is one reason I believe the full and part time contract should be separated. I guarantee it would get part timers out to vote. Once they go full time they are put into the full time rates. That is the goal eventually.

rudy5150

And only 64% of part-time employees nation wide show up for work and on time everyday that they're scheduled to work. The union would have far better negotiating power if you could get that number above 85%. Make the company respect you by not giving them the bullets for the gun.

Did you ever think they are late because its a throw away job they are showing up to? It takes many years part time to make any sorts of good money. Did ya ever think they are late cuz they worked 2 jobs over 12 hours the day before? monday through friday..... I would be tired too. I wouldnt be excited to go to a job where i get my body abused, harrassed, and work in unsafe conditions everyday. I would be dreading that alarm clock too! UPS lets it slide because they know they cant easily fill these jobs!?

d-rek357

If you give part timers a $5 raise and then make em pay $90 dollars for insurance based on 17.5 hrs to 20 hrs a week they are exactly where they are now and get nothing.
No one's "making" anyone pay anything. If anything, the union is "making" part-timers take a health care package that many don't want nor need, in exchange for poverty wages and ****ty working conditions.
Are YOU finished commenting on this post YOU are "making" yourself sound like a little bitter

tardus

Really the push should be to get the part timers earning the same union hourly wage as the full timers. That protects the full timers too. Otherwise, the company will always be trying to substitute cheap part time labor for more expensive full time labor.

brown_trousers

The rumor here in the south is the company is offering to no longer guarantee the pension accrued with Central states. So in a nut shell a person with 30 years in, 24 with Central States will now get a 6 year pension from the company if Central States goes belly up. Central States is in the red even after UPS gave them billions years ago to take control of the pension. The insurance from Central States is the worst insurance with an astronomical price, roughly 300 per week per employee. How the union could have allowed us to get in the mix with a bunch of crooks (years ago many many millions were missing) makes me sick. Let us buy the insurance that management pays for. Get central states out of the picture all together !! It is not looking good from what we are hearing down here.

Lets not start pointing fingers at UPS for that one. UPS paid the hourly pension contributions as promised and agreed... they faithfully followed through on their obligation. Pensions are a form of investment, which by default carries the risk of loss as well.

brown_trousers

Really the push should be to get the part timers earning the same union hourly wage as the full timers. That protects the full timers too. Otherwise, the company will always be trying to substitute cheap part time labor for more expensive full time labor.

Maybe the same wage as full-time inside wages.... I dont know if $32 an hour for part-time inside work can be justified as 22.2 and 22.3 full-timers don't even make that much per hour. But it would be nice to see a solid wage progression that leaves part-timers making $24/hr after 10 years

Maybe the same wage as full-time inside wages.... I dont know if $32 an hour for part-time inside work can be justified as 22.2 and 22.3 full-timers don't even make that much per hour. But it would be nice to see a solid wage progression that leaves part-timers making $24/hr after 10 years
Why not? I make the same pay as the FT article 22 car washers $30.70 an hour. Also make top driver rate when I drive $32.29.

slantnosechevy

Did you ever think they are late because its a throw away job they are showing up to? It takes many years part time to make any sorts of good money. Did ya ever think they are late cuz they worked 2 jobs over 12 hours the day before? monday through friday..... I would be tired too. I wouldnt be excited to go to a job where i get my body abused, harrassed, and work in unsafe conditions everyday. I would be dreading that alarm clock too! UPS lets it slide because they know they cant easily fill these jobs!?

Save it. Most part-timers are not working 12 hr. days. Most of the ones in our bldg. are putting in their 3.5 hours in the tavern then driving to the lot to catch a couple winks before the feeder drivers wake them up.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Are YOU finished commenting on this post YOU are "making" yourself sound like a little bitter
I'm not bit and don't want to sound bitter; frustrated might work a bit better. The point about insurance vs. much higher hourly rate is jmo, but it's frustrating when people respond as though I'm talking from the moon. It's a legit point, again jmo. The only reason I care is because I know how ridiculous it is to work for $10/hr as a PT'er at UPS. I don't care what the benefits package looks like, that's a terrible wage.

d-rek357

I'm not bit and don't want to sound bitter; frustrated might work a bit better. The point about insurance vs. much higher hourly rate is jmo, but it's frustrating when people respond as though I'm talking from the moon. It's a legit point, again jmo. The only reason I care is because I know how ridiculous it is to work for $10/hr as a PT'er at UPS. I don't care what the benefits package looks like, that's a terrible wage.

Opting out of the insurance has been thrown around a lot and could be a big selling point to lots of part timers. I never disagreed with you on that, my point was if the company gave part timers a $5 raise and then ask for $90 for insurance it would just wash out

stink219

I still say that the starting wage isn't the problem. It should be about where the progression takes you.
Preload or sorter
$9.50 $10.50 $11.00 $11.50 $12.00 $12.87
Others $8.50 $9.50 $10.00 $10.50 $11.00 $11.87
I would much rather see them go to 15 after the progression opposed to 12.87. Does this make sense? I'm a not thinking it through clearly? Just curious if other would rather I big jump later over a small bump off the bat?

I still say that the starting wage isn't the problem. It should be about where the progression takes you.
Preload or sorter
I would much rather see them go to 15 after the progression opposed to 12.87. Does this make sense? I'm a not thinking it through clearly? Just curious if other would rather I big jump later over a small bump off the bat?
I agree except top pay should be $30.70 an hour 90 days after making seniority. Equal pay for equal work.

stink219

Preload or sorter
I agree except top pay should be $30.70 an hour 90 days after making seniority. Equal pay for equal work.
Equal to what?