When you realize ups sucks

• Thread starter Nothing by 1030 anymore
  • Start date

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This is how I feel. I never thought I would be saying this but I'm thinking about doing night courses getting a degree and quitting ups for something better. Better for me would be less hours. Now that I'm a new father I never get to see my daughter. I would rather make less money but be home more. With the way things have been going here it seems like 11-12 hour days have been the norm pretty much since I started driving in 2005. It never bothered me until I became a dad.
9.5 list?

sandwich

The resident gearhead
9.5 list?
I just transferred to a new state (western region, yes we can transfer as full time drivers) and I'm not sure but I think I have to wait a couple years now or something. But still, that means 2 days a week you get thrown to the wolves and you have to put up with harassment just to work a normal schedule 3 days a week. They are asking too much of us. Today I have almost 250 stops. i just moved to a different state and they are already blasting me with work. Whatever. They'll find out that while I hate staying out late I'm also not going to run to get this extra work done. I work safe take my breaks, take my lunch and punch out whenever it gets done.

Brownslave688

I just transferred to a new state (western region, yes we can transfer as full time drivers) and I'm not sure but I think I have to wait a couple years now or something. But still, that means 2 days a week you get thrown to the wolves and you have to put up with harassment just to work a normal schedule 3 days a week. They are asking too much of us. Today I have almost 250 stops. i just moved to a different state and they are already blasting me with work. Whatever. They'll find out that while I hate staying out late I'm also not going to run to get this extra work done. I work safe take my breaks, take my lunch and punch out whenever it gets done.
I hear a lot of excuses but do whatever makes you happy.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I hear a lot of excuses but do whatever makes you happy.
I was under the impression that my transfer date is my new seniority date for everything except retirement. So being that I'm essentially a new driver here I cannot file for a couple years. Am I wrong?

Also don't get me wrong I don't mind fighting the law. I go by the book when I work. If they wanna ride with me or whatever hop on in.

Brownslave688

I was under the impression that my transfer date is my new seniority date for everything except retirement. So being that I'm essentially a new driver here I cannot file for a couple years. Am I wrong?

Also don't get me wrong I don't mind fighting the law. I go by the book when I work. If they wanna ride with me or whatever hop on in.
I'm not in the western so I won't try to answer that but there's 'many different ways to get on the list and don't let them load you up the other 2 days. There's language for that too.

Hellobrown2000

It obviously didn't suck that bad. You didn't quit. Que "the pay is so good", "uh I get free benefits","shoot peggy Sue I get paid vacation". No one makes anyone work for this company. Get the sand out of your vaginas.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

It may not have sucked that bad when I was 25, but it did the last ten years as I limped toward retirement benefits and kids in college and family to take care of. True, no one forced me to stay even after 3 repaired hernias, herniated disc, and a recent new shoulder. Upon my first day back after shoulder surgery (workers comp) dispatched 11 hour days 4 straight days at the age of 55. And was on the 9.5 list. Ended up in the ER that Friday with heat exhaustion(first time in 30 years). But yes, no one forced me to continue. Good people don't walk away when it gets tough,they persevere for their way of life and family since they were too stupid to go to college in the first place .

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

And after sucking it up for 30 years I can vent all I want now without recourse from :censored2: management and :censored2: district managers

ceelos28

How was you able to transfer ? I work in boston Massachusetts ive been driving for 14 years and trying transfer to Florida, but people keep telling me that is not possible... any help is greatly appreciated..

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How was you able to transfer ? I work in boston Massachusetts ive been driving for 14 years and trying transfer to Florida, but people keep telling me that is not possible... any help is greatly appreciated..

Transfers are permitted within certain locals and throughout the Western Conference.

Brownslave688

Western region can transfer within the region.

That wouldn't cover you.