Why are so many drivers such whiners?

NW.Hunter

Been with the company for 10 years and driving for 6 years and it seems to me that as each year goes by I want to give more and more drivers pacifiers so they stop crying about the stupidest little things.

Sent using BrownCafe App

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Wait til you got 15 years of driving or more n youll see why. You've only been driving during the bad times after the economy took a big dump. Job used not to be as bad and was actually decent and cool. You've only experienced the new UPS, ask the old school drivers and youll have the answers your looking for to your question.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Every morning I laugh when I hear the crying. "My airs are heavy". "Their screwing me", etc, waah, waah, waah.

kingOFchester

Happiness has a way of leveling out over time. Everyone returns to their baseline happiness, other wise known as "set point". So when you first go driving and you have the money, security and such........your happiness spikes. After sometime, people return to their baseline happiness. The theory is called hedonic adaption or hedonic treadmill.

Since majority of people like to complain, it does't take that long for people to forget where they have come from and just dwell on the negative rather then celebrate what they have accomplished. Human nature is to complain. These same people (which I include myself to a degree) could have a job sleeping on a white sand beach, at 70 degrees, cool breeze, making 200k a year and will still "whine" about their day at work.

My opinion anyway.

Last edited:

NW.Hunter

It was more if a statement of observation than a whine, but I can see how it could be seen as such after you pointed it out.

Sent using BrownCafe App

BrownBrokeDown

Large sense of grandeur.

Don't worry though. When I become a driver I will do my best. I will be a good, no not good, a great whiner. I will be the greatest. Noone will be able to compare. If only I was a driver.

rod

Retired 22 years
Every center has a "biggest whiner" driver. I always got a kick out of listening to his sob stories. This idiot would even stop if he saw me sitting at a restaurant and make a point to come in and cry to me how over dispatched he was. He knew I was heading in the opposite direction and couldn't help him if I wanted to. What a tool. I saw him the other day. He's retired now and is still whining about every little thing.

The Milkman

Wait til you got 15 years of driving or more n youll see why. You've only been driving during the bad times after the economy took a big dump. Job used not to be as bad and was actually decent and cool. You've only experienced the new UPS, ask the old school drivers and youll have the answers your looking for to your question.

Right on Jump!

oldngray

nowhere special
Every center has a "biggest whiner" driver. I always got a kick out of listening to his sob stories. This idiot would even stop if he saw me sitting at a restaurant and make a point to come in and cry to me how over dispatched he was. He knew I was heading in the opposite direction and couldn't help him if I wanted to. What a tool. I saw him the other day. He's retired now and is still whining about every little thing.

That same guy who would cry about how much work he has would still be in an hour before you. I had a guy like that who would spend half the day on the phone calling the center whining about how much work he has and begging them to send someone to help him. Of course everyone else around him already had more work than him but he lived in his own little version of reality.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Been with the company for 10 years and driving for 6 years and it seems to me that as each year goes by I want to give more and more drivers pacifiers so they stop crying about the stupidest little things.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Yeah, I hate when drivers whine about safety issues going unaddressed, contract violations, 12hrs of work, being constantly harassed when you're giving 110%. - Management

A sense of entitlement. When anyone becomes entitled to anything they become a little fat. When you become fat you get a little lazy. Entitled fat and lazy makes you forget about when you used to be hungry.

Everyone should spend some time being hungry. It builds character. This help you to be less entitled.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
A sense of entitlement. When anyone becomes entitled to anything they become a little fat. When you become fat you get a little lazy. Entitled fat and lazy makes you forget about when you used to be hungry.

Everyone should spend some time being hungry. It builds character. This help you to be less entitled.
Couldn't have said it better myself Jangles. I was raised as a social security kid by my grandparents who didn't really didn't have a pot to piss in, while mommys boy going to private school dad was mia, along with drug attic mom who ive seen 4 times in 38 years was mia also. All I know is to stay hungry, im like a stray dog who hasn't ate in a week, super hungry all the time, and that feeling will never go away or be lost in my inner conscious. Lifes valuable lesson learned at a very young age. Sucked going through it but that lesson I learned and endured only made me a super strong soldier mentally.