Why is there such hatred between Ground and Express drivers here?

bbsam

Staff member
Bad analogy, because Apple has always been about offering quality products, not crap. Steve Jobs had an obsession for quality, not just profit. Ground is a crap product. If you worked for Express, you would know first-hand what has occurred since Ground came on the scene...a wholesale cannibalization of the Express opco and everything it ever stood for. The lies and rewrites of the Express "contract" are long and discouraging, and every hourly Express employee has been raped so Fred can have a special deal with the Ground scam.
I will say what I have said to every UPSer who has disparaged Ground: If Express was everything you claim it was, then Ground would have died off in its RPS infancy. It could very well be that in comparison Ground is a "crap product", but the market shows time and time again that its good enough. I don't need a Tim "the Tool Man" Taylor Craftsman model 5150 hammer. I just need a hammer to pound stuff with every so often.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I will say what I have said to every UPSer who has disparaged Ground: If Express was everything you claim it was, then Ground would have died off in its RPS infancy. It could very well be that in comparison Ground is a "crap product", but the market shows time and time again that its good enough. I don't need a Tim "the Tool Man" Taylor Craftsman model 5150 hammer. I just need a hammer to pound stuff with every so often.

Your analogy is better, but still flawed. Ground is a crap product...low wages and low-caliber employees ensure it. The structure of the Ground scam just strengthens it. The problem with your cheap tool is that it isn't reliable, and will probably break when you need it the most.

Ground survives and thrives because Fred S has a "can't lose" business scam going. I realize you have major skin in the game here and you feel compelled to defend it, but a scam is a scam, and you're in up to your neck. I guess "good enough" is great when you're the one cashing-in.

bbsam

Staff member
But I'm not the only one cashing in. The shippers are as well. And when the hammer breaks, I buy a new one.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
You can buy a good Tim "the Tool Man" Taylor Craftsman model 5150 hammer once or, you can buy a cheap one over and over.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Your analogy is better, but still flawed. Ground is a crap product...low wages and low-caliber employees ensure it. The structure of the Ground scam just strengthens it. The problem with your cheap tool is that it isn't reliable, and will probably break when you need it the most.

Ground survives and thrives because Fred S has a "can't lose" business scam going. I realize you have major skin in the game here and you feel compelled to defend it, but a scam is a scam, and you're in up to your neck. I guess "good enough" is great when you're the one cashing-in.

Or, in other words, it's a race to the bottom. Someone has start the mediocrity.

HomeDelivery

that's what peak season is for... "free-for-all" for contractors to upgrade to a cheaper, newer hammer (the hiring of seasonal temps) that can replace the older hammers who are starting to slow down or break from all the work.:backingout:

HomeDelivery

Snap-On is for the pros. Harbor Freight is for the backyard hack. I guess we know which one Ground is.

you got that right... with an influx of temps that don't get the big picture, they can replace those wanting better pay or raises, or those just getting the idea of how bad some contractors don't really give a damn about their workforce... & will start not giving a damn about their vehicles or cargo

PS: i'm delivering more and more harbor freight stuff to more companies, ie CARMAX, because they have the same limited lifetime warranty as their competitors (on hand tools)

MAKAVELI

you got that right... with an influx of temps that don't get the big picture, they can replace those wanting better pay or raises, or those just getting the idea of how bad some contractors don't really give a damn about their workforce... & will start not giving a damn about their vehicles or cargo

PS: i'm delivering more and more harbor freight stuff to more companies, ie CARMAX, because they have the same limited lifetime warranty as their competitors (on hand tools)
I guarantee it's not the same lifetime warranty as Snap-On or Mac. A lot of tools bought off the truck are purchased just for the hassle free warranty.

Marne Vet

This was an interesting thread. As an outsider to the "hatred" between Express and Ground drivers I can't comment, but from a drivers perspective I see the difference between them on the street. Express drivers are more professional, and seem to follow safer methods. I hardly ever comment on a FedEx Express driver looking like :censored2:, or performing like an untrained monkey. Ground drivers leave their bulkhead doors open, leave their trucks running, and disregard almost every safety aspect of the job. This is how the outside driving community like myself regards the Ground drivers. You are the most unprofessional on the road. Is this a generalization? You can argue that, but since all I ever see is gross negligence coming from Ground drivers I can argue you're dreaming. Express guys don't act or drive around like that. I seriously don't know how FedEx just allows these Ground drivers to be turds on wheels.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
'I seriously don't know how FedEx just allows these Ground drivers to be turds on wheels.'

I will tell you in one word....Money. Ground is the "cash cow" for FedEx. I've seen Ground drivers leave their truck running, side doors open as well as bulkhead door open while they go into a high-rise building.

MAKAVELI

This was an interesting thread. As an outsider to the "hatred" between Express and Ground drivers I can't comment, but from a drivers perspective I see the difference between them on the street. Express drivers are more professional, and seem to follow safer methods. I hardly ever comment on a FedEx Express driver looking like :censored2:, or performing like an untrained monkey. Ground drivers leave their bulkhead doors open, leave their trucks running, and disregard almost every safety aspect of the job. This is how the outside driving community like myself regards the Ground drivers. You are the most unprofessional on the road. Is this a generalization? You can argue that, but since all I ever see is gross negligence coming from Ground drivers I can argue you're dreaming. Express guys don't act or drive around like that. I seriously don't know how FedEx just allows these Ground drivers to be turds on wheels.
Quite simple. They are not FedEx employees. By using the contractor scam they have to give up total control of the driver to the contractor. Most of these contractors are only concerned about their bottom line and will put just about anyone with a pulse who can pass a background and drug test in a truck. As long as they accept the low pay and no benefits they are good to go. These drivers are not properly trained on methods and only focused on getting it done. FedEx looks the other way because of the double digit profit this scam gives them. And if Fred has his way, Express will be the new Ground.

Marne Vet

That's a shame. The general public doesn't know the difference between Express and Ground, so all they see are these unprofessional turds driving around unsafe and most of the times dirty looking. Half-assed uniforms, some of which don't even match. I'm not hating on these drivers. I'm pointing out exactly what I see. If they care about their image they can skip bitching to me about bringing it up, and start by instilling a better sense of uniformity among their own ranks. I've seen a lot of crap on wheels, but Ground takes the cake. Oh, and I forgot to mention the lack of seat-belts being worn. That one cracks me up. They jump in the seat and go. wtf?! Screw your bottom line. How about making it home to your family safe every day? Your bottom line doesn't mean anything when you're dead. Dummies.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
That's a shame. The general public doesn't know the difference between Express and Ground, so all they see are these unprofessional turds driving around unsafe and most of the times dirty looking. Half-assed uniforms, some of which don't even match. I'm not hating on these drivers. I'm pointing out exactly what I see. If they care about their image they can skip bitching to me about bringing it up, and start by instilling a better sense of uniformity among their own ranks. I've seen a lot of crap on wheels, but Ground takes the cake. Oh, and I forgot to mention the lack of seat-belts being worn. That one cracks me up. They jump in the seat and go. wtf?! Screw your bottom line. How about making it home to your family safe every day? Your bottom line doesn't mean anything when you're dead. Dummies.

Imagine the shame we feel on a daily basis because the customers CAN'T tell the difference. At least when our uniforms were different colors they kind of could tell. Now we all look the same. And dont let us be in rental at Peak.

PublicWifi

Half-assed uniforms, some of which don't even match.

Yeah, you can thank both FedEx and contractors for this issue. In the end, contractors. Since Fed no longer pays for uniforms, contractors don't give a rat's ass. I know several people that have offered to pay out of their own pockets for new uniforms (men working for X contractor). Of course, this isn't the case with ALL contractors. There are a few asshats in my terminal that don't offer ANYTHING to their drivers -- not even time off. Uniforms? Ha!