Why The High Divorce Rate?

laffter

I think many of you are thinking too highly of marriage. Marriage lost it's "sanctity" with the creation of divorce. It's nothing more than a piece of paper at this point.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I think many of you are thinking too highly of marriage. Marriage lost it's "sanctity" with the creation of divorce. It's nothing more than a piece of paper at this point.
This right here is the reasoning behind marriages not lasting. Marriage is not something that you should go into blindly and words like these are only an attempt to diminish the beautiful words that have been spoken in favor of marriage. Marriage is MORE than a piece of paper and the people above that posted about working hard, team work, the ups/downs and the continued love of their spouses, are living proof that there's more to marriage.

​I understand that you have YOUR own perspective/take, on marriage. But please don't come in here with your big broad paint brush and try to sum things up for us.

You're right. Marriage was ruined with the invention of divorce. It was so much easier when we could just kill the wife we were tired of and get a new one.

UPS Lifer

I think you make an excellent point of why marriage does not succeed. Those of us who believe highly in marriage believe in it's sanctity. More than likely, those are the people who are in the long marriages, first and only marriage and don't cheat on their spouse.

Caveat - I am not intending to say that if you have had a failed marriage that you don't believe in it's sanctity. It does take 2 to believe in the sanctity of marriage as mentioned in a previous post.

Last edited:

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
When you do a pre-nup, you are planning to get divorced - not married. You are already planning for your marriage to fail.

Don't bother, stay single.

Not at all, you and your spouse are only protecting each other. Perhaps you or they become very wealthy. Someone dies, hands over a ton of money. You work, gain a large bank roll, a nice house and car and live a great life. You win the lotto, write a book that sells greatly and other examples.

Its to protect you from what your partner can and will take from you in a divorce. If he/ she wants to leave and believes things arnt working out, you need that protection of a prenup. Its there to be a useful, so use it.

If I had a wife, and she became rich, I wouldnt want any of it. I would be that guy who would choose to still work. But if I became rich, and over 70% of women file for divorce, there goes atleast half and then legal fees and so on.

Overall, its an agreement of the two partys that we / both agree not to take the others money / possessions. Your getting married, thats all, let it play its course and hopefully it works out. And before marriage, discuss a prenup, if she / he doesnt want to, then it might not be the best choice to do so, nowadays atleast.

I've heard in my HUB as well how these drivers are 2-3 times divorced, and paying out the noise in alimony. After the first time, shame on them. After the second, shame on you.

The men / women in our lives have to learn daddies / mommy going to be out for a long time, day by day. That they will be alone for a long time. And as the stories suggest here, shouldnt we take note that a prenup will save your ass when he / she gets bored and finds new friends and lovers. Its a means, by law, to protect yourself, that is all. Not a plan for a divorce.

over9five

Staff member
Not at all, you and your spouse are only protecting each other. Perhaps you or they become very wealthy. Someone dies, hands over a ton of money. You work, gain a large bank roll, a nice house and car and live a great life. You win the lotto, write a book that sells greatly and other examples.

Its to protect you from what your partner can and will take from you in a divorce. If he/ she wants to leave and believes things arnt working out, you need that protection of a prenup. Its there to be a useful, so use it.

If I had a wife, and she became rich, I wouldnt want any of it. I would be that guy who would choose to still work. But if I became rich, and over 70% of women file for divorce, there goes atleast half and then legal fees and so on.

Overall, its an agreement of the two partys that we / both agree not to take the others money / possessions. Your getting married, thats all, let it play its course and hopefully it works out. And before marriage, discuss a prenup, if she / he doesnt want to, then it might not be the best choice to do so, nowadays atleast.

I've heard in my HUB as well how these drivers are 2-3 times divorced, and paying out the noise in alimony. After the first time, shame on them. After the second, shame on you.

The men / women in our lives have to learn daddies / mommy going to be out for a long time, day by day. That they will be alone for a long time. And as the stories suggest here, shouldnt we take note that a prenup will save your ass when he / she gets bored and finds new friends and lovers. Its a means, by law, to protect yourself, that is all. Not a plan for a divorce.

First of all, let me say that I understand what you're saying and where you're coming from completely.

But your own statement perfectly describes what I'm saying:

"let it play its course and hopefully it works out"

Hope it works out???? If you're "hoping it works out", you shouldn't be getting married! You're not serious about what you're doing, so you shouldn't do it. If you want to marry a girl, but you're so worried about ending up in divorce that you want a pre-nup, that is a huge red flag.
And later on down the road, that pre-nup is going to make it very easy to divorce, when you should be working on your marriage! There is no incentive to try to save your marriage when you have that pre-nup.

I'm just saying that:
If you think you need a pre-nup, you probably do. And if you probably do, you definitely shouldn't get married!

UPS Lifer

Those who have the best intentions may end up with the other party causing a situation where a divorce is inevitable. Therefore....

In my opinion - Those who have no wealth before marriage don't need a pre-nup. Those who do, need to protect their wealth as long as they can keep their assets from being co-mingled.

If there are other concerns besides wealth, those concerns could be addressed as well. To me, communication is a good thing in any form. A contract is a baseline for further communication and understanding and an attempt to define your intention.

Wealth such as inheritance, can be defined in an addendum of a trust in case there is a falling out or death.

pretender

First of all, let me say that I understand what you're saying and where you're coming from completely.

Hope it works out???? If you're "hoping it works out", you shouldn't be getting married! You're not serious about what you're doing, so you shouldn't do it. If you want to marry a girl, but you're so worried about ending up in divorce that you want a pre-nup, that is a huge red flag.
And later on down the road, that pre-nup is going to make it very easy to divorce, when you should be working on your marriage! There is no incentive to try to save your marriage when you have that pre-nup.

I'm just saying that:
If you think you need a pre-nup, you probably do. And if you probably do, you definitely shouldn't get married!

I realize this is a serious topic, but I can't help but think of the Seinfeld episode where George asked Susan for a pre-nup, and she laughed and said sure!

Although, in a way, it does prove your point...

laffter

This right here is the reasoning behind marriages not lasting. Marriage is not something that you should go into blindly and words like these are only an attempt to diminish the beautiful words that have been spoken in favor of marriage. Marriage is MORE than a piece of paper and the people above that posted about working hard, team work, the ups/downs and the continued love of their spouses, are living proof that there's more to marriage.

​I understand that you have YOUR own perspective/take, on marriage. But please don't come in here with your big broad paint brush and try to sum things up for us.

I'll assume that you understood my point but purposely overlooked it to make yours.

I was not speaking of what marriage should be or possibly once was. I am speaking of what it is today- and has been for a long time.

Those people who believe marriage is some special and wonderful thing are the same people who go through five of them in their lifetime. Telling somebody you love them and then never wanting to see their face again. Ah, so beautiful.

To throw some humor into the mix:

[video=youtube;J1eAfpekWgQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1eAfpekWgQ[/video]

ORLY!?!

Master Loader

I'm just saying that:

NO!

You can always prenup before marriage. It doesnt matter how long you are together, someone is going to have regrets, at the start, middle or long run. I knew a guy who got married, and less then a week, for them wasnt right. And he had a prenup written up before it happened.

Marriage, it isnt about love or kids and other bull... its more of a buisness proposition. The law can do good, and it can do a hell've a lot worse. Often its bad moreso then good. Without a prenup, your only asking for problems.

I love how you guys float around this topic, its all good, she / he loves me.... Yet this thread is here and is often the story of many UPS drivers. I say LEARN, and get the prenup before it happens.

Working on your marriage? How so? Because your never there? She doesnt work, or does and yet gets home hours before you do.. and when you do get home you have to shower, eat and sleep right away. Theres a lot missing out of this thread.

Never There-CAKE music video - YouTube

In life, you have to look out for yourself. Theres a lot to be done to you just by laws. Stand up, understand and take control of your life by paper. Explain it to the person you will soon marry, a prenup, so we can both walk way from this without more money and time spent. Dont let them take almost everything from you, all that you worked hard for. Its like you guys enjoy giving money away for free. Wise up, the person you might think you know in relationship now, then marry, will turn into some type of monster you never seen before. Prenup right away, even beforehand.

A

anonymous6

the breakdown of marriage is just the result of the breakdown of values in our society in the last two generations.

God has been taken out of our schools for one thing. ol fashioned family values are not being taught anymore. the media can take a lot of blame on this one.

probably since Watergate we can not trust anyone in public service anymore. idiot celebrities are being glorified instead of hardworking Mom and Pops.

we have got it all backwards for now and I don't see it changing any time soon.

laffter

God has been taken out of our schools for one thing.

"God" belongs in the fiction isle at your local bookstore. The "separation of religion from schools" has nothing to do with anything. I'd like to see a statistic on the divorce rate of church members. I'd bet it's not far off from the average.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

I'm just saying that:
I agree! A pre-nup is for when the marriage DOES eventually fail. I've been married twice, HOPING we were of the same mind, but in the end, we weren't. Not to mention the many many times the subject of "marriage" has been brought up in conversation with women I've dated. The over romanticized notion of bliss, is what "marriage" means to many people, today.

I'll assume that you understood my point but purposely overlooked it to make yours.

I was not speaking of what marriage should be or possibly once was. I am speaking of what it is today- and has been for a long time.

Those people who believe marriage is some special and wonderful thing are the same people who go through five of them in their lifetime. Telling somebody you love them and then never wanting to see their face again. Ah, so beautiful.
I understood your point. Did you not see how I pointed out the fact that people (including YOURSELF, based on that post) try to diminish the value of marriage, based on their lack of loyalty and allegiance? Marriage is WAY more than a piece of paper that "says" two people are joined together. That paper and the ceremony are a public testament, that these 2 people will Love, Honor, Obey, etc... The REAL marriage is what takes place up to and then FROM, that point. I won't argue with you about many "marriages" ending in divorce. I will say that a "real" marriage can NEVER be torn apart.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
"God" belongs in the fiction isle at your local bookstore. The "separation of religion from schools" has nothing to do with anything. I'd like to see a statistic on the divorce rate of church members. I'd bet it's not far off from the average.
A few things...the divorce rate is the same. Who knew, but people who attend church are human. And the other is the point orangputeh was making about separation of God from schools has little to do with religion and everything to do with common morality. All major religions share common morality...actually...check that, all of mankind share a common morality. We may differ on death, violence, and speech but no one likes a thief, no one likes being lied to and murder is wrong on lots of fronts. Is religion the reason for these moral opinions? No...these opinions are shared by people of varying faiths or lack thereof. Is it a genetic thing? Maybe...but I don't think so. Lying has nothing to do with survival of the fittest so it didn't come from an evolutionary need. While I have a general disdain for religion because of the sheeple it creates, I do believe God exists because evidence points towards it. Of course, being a logical thinking creature, I have to allow that someday indisputable evidence will show up that will throw God right out the window but current evidence has been routinely disproved or has giant holes in it. And they haven't even been disproved by the churches, but by scientists and chemists in the same fields of study with the same athiestic or agnostic views. It's really quite wonderful. I love science...I even love evolution. But macro evolution has been pretty disappointing in it's fossil discoveries and micro evolution doesn't in any way disprove God since it's evolution within a form and I'd like to think that all species are in a state of constant improvement. I think science and chemisty describes the story of the universe quite well but so far hasn't been able to be the story writer.

Re-Raise

Delivered to plenty of milfs in my day. Very few of which I would have over their (of age) daughters. Sorry that's just the truth.

I have a 21 year old daughter and an 18 year old. We have an inground pool in the backyard so there has been plenty of teenage flesh running around our home over the years.

If you are into the giggling, taylor swift listening children you couldn't handle my wife. Sorry that's just the truth.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I have noticed many have mentioned how you have to work at a marriage and how hard it can be. Considering what a joy I am here, can you imagine how hard MY wife has to work at it? Lol?