Why???

Delivered

Ok chief, but I only said summons them to a meeting which could be as you describe.
Unfortunately I doubt my local is equipped for such a meeting.
Either way, it is a long accepted practice to take to the local who in turn takes it to the members.

We used to sheet our deliveries on paper, that too was a long accepted practice. It's 2013 each Full Time employee pays overs $960 year in Dues. The IBT can send you a text message every time Little Jimmy is going to make a TV appearance. But can't seem to do the same with the TA...
IBT 2013.png

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I'm with Tooner. They work for us. We pay them, and like any other employer we should be able to see our employees work any damn time we want to.

We are paying them to negotiate a contract.

Negotiating a contract... is a cross between a game of chicken and high-stakes poker.

If you decided to stake a professional poker player in a tournament in return for a share of the winnings...would you then stand behind him and look over his shoulder at the cards he is holding and then loudly try to tell him how he should play the hand?

Information control is a critical part of negotiating a contract. You dont want the other side to know where you stand or what you will settle for. And you sure as hell dont want to undermine your negotating committees position by publicly criticizing them or demanding to know every single detail of what they are bargaining for.

Your voice will be heard when it is time to cast your ballot. You will also have an opportunity to vote for new leadership if you feel that the offers they have negotiated on your behalf are not in your best interest. Until then, the best course of action for the rank and file is to drink a nice, big glass of STFU and let the professionals on the Negotiating Committee do their job.

kingOFchester

Negotiating a contract... is a cross between a game of chicken and high-stakes poker.

If you decided to stake a professional poker player in a tournament in return for a share of the winnings...would you then stand behind him and look over his shoulder at the cards he is holding and then loudly try to tell him how he should play the hand?

Information control is a critical part of negotiating a contract. You dont want the other side to know where you stand or what you will settle for. And you sure as hell dont want to undermine your negotating committees position by publicly criticizing them or demanding to know every single detail of what they are bargaining for.

Your voice will be heard when it is time to cast your ballot. You will also have an opportunity to vote for new leadership if you feel that the offers they have negotiated on your behalf are not in your best interest. Until then, the best course of action for the rank and file is to drink a nice, big glass of STFU and let the professionals on the Negotiating Committee do their job.
d
The players have shaken hands and walked away from the poker table. They have agreed to the terms and now wait for us to say yay or nay. Disclosing what they both agreed upon isnt going to change what we will be voting for and more importantly it would not be disclosing anything that UPS hasn't already agreed to.

smart girl

I would have to agree with your outlook in someway, as to trust my negotiating committe to have the best interest of all of us ,even the unborn. However; this contract included some new territory with Healthcare and 9.5 changes. I think if you were newer driver or PTer (me 30 yr driver) it was a matter of family dynamics( both working) and one needs to be home with the kids to help orchestrate a well rounded environment. 30 yrs ago things were different economically for families. Now with child custody issues in the mix, it is important to realize Work is work but family is more the forefront for most.

kingOFchester

If the negotiating team wants the TA to be adopted, then it would be a benefit to keep the specifics tight as long as possible. The less time we have to look it over, study it, ask questions and talk to other brothers....the more likely it will get more yes votes.

Insurance is VERY complicated. Co-pays, deductibles, whats covered, what isn't covered, dental exams, dental work, generic meds, name brand meds, eye exams, glasses, and on and on it goes. It will take time for members to look at the details and compare them to exactly what we have now. I change myt car insurance on a regular basis to getting better rates. It takes time comparing plan A to plan B. And that is car insurance. Not healthcare. We need time to read and ask questions.

I keep hearing Pelosi saying "We have to pass the bill to know what is in it."

Necropostophiliac

If the negotiating team wants the TA to be adopted, then it would be a benefit to keep the specifics tight as long as possible. The less time we have to look it over, study it, ask questions and talk to other brothers....the more likely it will get more yes votes.

Insurance is VERY complicated. Co-pays, deductibles, whats covered, what isn't covered, dental exams, dental work, generic meds, name brand meds, eye exams, glasses, and on and on it goes. It will take time for members to look at the details and compare them to exactly what we have now. I change myt car insurance on a regular basis to getting better rates. It takes time comparing plan A to plan B. And that is car insurance. Not healthcare. We need time to read and ask questions.

I keep hearing Pelosi saying "We have to pass the bill to know what is in it."

But some defend and twist what she said that is not what she meant or said.

I always wonder about those that twist words or statements..................

Inthegame

LOL

I find it totally, absolutely, hilarious that you are posting this.

I going to save this and repost it when you start all your stupid szit about transparency and right to information here on BC.

What a hypocrite! (or hippocrate as one of your brothers says)
Wow big letters, now that's impressive. But calling Bubble the hypocrite is really rich. Must be more clever sarcasm. Bubble asked a simple question. He didn't say the membership should not be made aware of the results of the process(which will begin May 7th) but rather why members need to know every detail along the way, and how that info would further their interests. Nothing hypocritical there in any way.
So how about this Mr. retired management from Atlanta (with lots of connections ), who never misses a chance to rip the IBT leadership...Why don't you or anyone from UPS post the complete TA? UPS labor has all the same info the IBT has. Where's the outcry from employees attacking UPS's integrity for the secrecy? Why does the IBT get piled on and UPS gets the cakewalk? Shouldn't it be at least an equal attack?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So how about this Mr. retired management from Atlanta (with lots of connections ), who never misses a chance to rip the IBT leadership...

Why does the IBT get piled on and UPS gets the cakewalk?

Retired equals "no connections" ... I'm in the same shape as Union members.

I have never ripped the IBT leadership ... maybe the lack of.

Are you a Union shill too? I would not have thought so until now.

The Union always presents the contract to THEIR membership.
The Union management are the elected politicians and UPS lets them sell the contract except 1997 and we know how that worked out.
That is a really weak and pathetic deflection attempt.

LOL

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Retired equals "no connections" ... I'm in the same shape as Union members.

I have never ripped the IBT leadership ... maybe the lack of.

Are you a Union shill too? I would not have thought so until now.

The Union always presents the contract to THEIR membership.
The Union management are the elected politicians and UPS lets them sell the contract except 1997 and we know how that worked out.
That is a really weak and pathetic deflection attempt.

LOL

It was tit for tat and now you're deflecting.
Thanks ITG.

RealPerson

I have remained, for the most part mute during this whole negotiation process.
During which I have noticed a sense of "entitlement" in regards to information as the process unfolded.
As a steward, I valued any and all information disseminated, but expected little for what I realized to be obvious reasons.

My question to the rest of you front line "entitled employees" is, why do you feel that you are entitled to every detail of the entire negotiating process and why do you think this is in your best interest?

1. Knowing will not Change Anything
2. The Union works for US.
3. Collective minds can help go over the details and work out all scenarios, to help give feed back.
4. Keeps us from saying, Oh dang wish we would of thought of that.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Why is this so hard to understand???
As usual, spot on Sober!!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
During which I have noticed a sense of "entitlement" in regards to information as the process unfolded.
As a steward, I valued any and all information disseminated, but expected little for what I realized to be obvious reasons.

My question to the rest of you front line "entitled employees" is, why do you feel that you are entitled to every detail of the entire negotiating process and why do you think this is in your best interest?

It was tit for tat and now you're deflecting.
Thanks ITG.

I'm smiling ... that's for sure! :peaceful:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Sorry, But we have to watch like hawks. We've been burned before.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I do not trust the Teamsters, or UPS to do what is right for me. They do what is right for them. Sorry, that's just me.