Will Fedex help me get a Class A CDL?

smmxm

just curious if being a Semi truck driver would be worth it? would I be home daily? or is it the same as courier?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
just curious if being a Semi truck driver would be worth it? would I be home daily? or is it the same as courier?

Yes, they will, but only if you get an RTD job (Ramp Transport Driver). FT RTD jobs are very rare and you'll need a lot of seniority to get one. PT is easier to get, but your chances of ever getting FT are slim.

smmxm

is an RTD driver the same as a City driver? because I looked for this job nationwide and RTD did not come up.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
is an RTD driver the same as a City driver? because I looked for this job nationwide and RTD did not come up.

A RTD is also known as a CTV driver. As barnyard said, you are confusing Freight with Express. You need to already have a Class A CDL to work for Freight...they will not train you. A "city driver" is a local PUD driver as opposed to a line-haul driver.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
As I understand it, Express now requires RTD applicants to already possess a Class A CDL. They paid for my training back in the day, but again that was a company far far away and long removed from what we have now.

There are no more long-haul runs at Express like there were 20 years ago. Home every day, but like MFE said, FT RTD positions these days are scarce as hen's teeth.

Definitely beats the courier life IMO (especially these days), but it's still no day at the beach.

MAKAVELI

As I understand it, Express now requires RTD applicants to already possess a Class A CDL. They paid for my training back in the day, but again that was a company far far away and long removed from what we have now.

There are no more long-haul runs at Express like there were 20 years ago. Home every day, but like MFE said, FT RTD positions these days are scarce as hen's teeth.

Definitely beats the courier life IMO (especially these days), but it's still no day at the beach.
Don't take this the wrong way but RTD drivers have probably the easiest job at Express. Other than the guy who cleans and inspects the drop boxes.

Artee

Don't take this the wrong way but RTD drivers have probably the easiest job at Express. Other than the guy who cleans and inspects the drop boxes.

Actually an RT manager has the easiest job. They dont spend more that 6 hours in the building working.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
not taken the wrong way in the least. You're 100% correct. In fact I couldn't be dragged back into being a courier. I enjoyed it immensely back in the '80s, but way too much B.S. these days (and reading these forums re-confirms that).

As I said, it's still no day at the beach - especially at this time of year when it can get "interesting", and having to deal with motorists constantly cutting you off because they suddenly realize they're at their exit (and of course you have the handling and maneuverability of a Lotus) - but it's a heck of a lot better than being back at the DGO. (and pays better to boot). The idiotic policies and constant take-aways still hit us just the same though. But I can honestly say, if I weren't doing this, I wouldn't still be at FedEx.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Yep, it's totally easy hanging chains and pulling cans all day long. Oh, and staying up all night long is also fun (back from the days when FedEx had overnight runs).

FUFred

I would always look in Jcats for the drop box inspector job, but never found it. I always wanted that job. I think it was 3-4 years ago FedEx went hardcore with this. Every drop box I opened there was a letter basically saying the drop box didn't have any supplies and that management would be notified.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I've heard that the drop box inspectors are nothing more than handlers from a sta. (large one) in the district. I saw one once and he made no effort to come over and meet me.

bbsam

Staff member
I've heard that the drop box inspectors are nothing more than handlers from a sta. (large one) in the district. I saw one once and he made no effort to come over and meet me.
Why would he? Curious because I just realized that I know more UPS drivers names from 20 years ago than I even know Ground drivers in our building. That includes the people who drive for me!

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I only know the Ground guys in my area.
I know a lot of Express guys at other locations because we meet in places only express employees are at. Express guys stick together because we work for the same opco and at a lot of the same locations. Not true with Ground. I don't work with them or, are in their stations.