Will inflation delay UPSers Retirements?

Up In Smoke

Unfortunately there's a lot of older retired people going back to the workforce right now.
The St Louis fed reported that nearly 3 million people retired before they were ready to because of the pandemic. The vast majority of these people had to tap into retirement savings as the only means of sustainable income. Being between 55/60 when the pandemic hit had to be a financial and health concern at the same time.

The St Louis fed reported that nearly 3 million people retired before they were ready to because of the pandemic. The vast majority of these people had to tap into retirement savings as the only means of sustainable income. Being between 55/60 when the pandemic hit had to be a financial and health concern at the same time.
Absolutely

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I see plenty of guys retire only to get another crappy job? Why not stay, make good money, plenty of vacation?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
More stimulus check wouldn’t help...Inflation will still be out of control...

Those on fixed income are hurting big time...That is why we need COLA increases negotiated in our individual retirement plans, just saying..
agree. what was the stimulus? 6 trillion? and they wonder where inflation came from. printing all that phony money.
COLA on retirement would be super nice but wonder if that would hurt pension assets unless the union could factor this into future contracts like you suggested. .
The Western Conference Pension plan is very strong but I know other areas of the country not so.

Up In Smoke

Plus you're still adding money into your pension and your 401k plus boosting up your future social security.
In most cases, it's the body that can't go anymore. Most drivers I've seen retire in the last 10 yrs grab their pension, opt onto the spouses insurance and pick up a 30hr a week low impact job. A 40k pension and a 30k job seem to be the norm around here.

In most cases, it's the body that can't go anymore. Most drivers I've seen retire in the last 10 yrs grab their pension, opt onto the spouses insurance and pick up a 30hr a week low impact job. A 40k pension and a 30k job seem to be the norm around here.
I'm hoping not to have to work once I retire unless I get bored and just want something to keep me busy a day or two a week

Wally

Next year should see a pension boost with the new contract. Leave now and you are leaving money on the table.

rod

Retired 22 years
I see plenty of guys retire only to get another crappy job? Why not stay, make good money, plenty of vacation?
Plenty of guys retire and take a fun retirement job too. There is a BIG difference working a fun job and being constantly harassed working at UPS. The money really doesn’t matter if you have planned your retirement correctly and have paid off all your major expenses.

JustDeliverIt

I never understood that either. If your body is shot and you have to go then I get it. But once you are able to go but if you still need to work I would just stay. Good money & vacation time like you said, plus you’re playing on your terms. Once you truly DGAF because you can go it would seem to be a lot easier around here.

Wally

I never understood that either. If your body is shot and you have to go then I get it. But once you are able to go but if you still need to work I would just stay. Good money & vacation time like you said, plus you’re playing on your terms. Once you truly DGAF because you can go it would seem to be a lot easier around here.
The route I have is cake, sups don't bother because you don't care, and we don't even work much overtime anymore.

Up In Smoke

I'm impressed with about 25% of our young drivers. These drivers have paid attention and invested in themselves. From the nearly 160 drivers we have about 40 that own, operate or invest in small local businesses. If they are able to maintain or build upon these businesses, they will have a passive income for life. We had 3 young drivers quit about a year ago as their business investment/partnership gave them the financial freedom to do so.

Over70irregs

April was lower than March, but gas prices rose significantly in May. Job gains, consumer spending and wages all grew in April as well. The personal income and spending data last week drove the market higher. Private payroll numbers are solid and this weeks employment numbers will tell us a lot about where the economy is headed. May's CPI should come out in a week or so.
Have not looked it up but credit cards have to be a raging fire right now.