Will Supervisors be needed in the future?

whiskey

The three buildings I have worked are all the same: and it is not happy faces prancing through beds of flowers (unless your on-car insists you briskly walk through a flowerbed to get to the delivery point faster)

By the way, that is a true story - an oncar recommended I walked through someones yard and through a nice bed to get to the front door , instead of using the driveway. Same on-car recommended drivers throw packages under 10 pounds to the front door instead of walking them the extra 10 feet.

Finally , that same oncar (while doing a safety ride) requested that when a driver is accelerating he/she is to accelerate as QUICKLY as possible to top speed. What is humorous is that the week later we had a "diad training module" where the tip was saving fuel, and drivers were told to NOT accelerate quickly, only very slowly and to save gas. lol

Would hazard a guess, that the same on-car, if he is not already, will someday be a division manager. He seems to have all the qualifications.

ups1990

Supervisors will be required as long as drivers continue to make the same mistakes. You know, the guy who's on his third warning for three different facets. There are drivers in our center, as well as others around this great country who can correct a mistake after only one talk-too. Usually, it's going back to the basics. Counting your total air picked up then making sure the same number is dropped off. This is just one example of many. Who knows if technology will eliminate white collar jobs at UPS, one thing is clear, repeat offenders is job security for a supervisor.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
[Like it or not, (and I know that those here will NOT), the BC is not a random sample of UPS. I see a different UPS when I'm in centers/QUOTE]It might be that you are like many other managers, you are shown what they want you to see when visiting centers. Seen that a lot here over the years.

So, a commercial customer that get a delivery sometimes at 11, sometimes at 2, sometimes before close is measured as meeting service. I don't know if there any any special measurement for commercial customers (they should be on the AM side of the trace)

This is why you see more and more special service times.... They become part of contracts.

I agree that the customer may not get the service they would like or the service you (or I) want to give. But its the service that is paid for.

So, a commercial customer does not have the slightest priority over residential deliveries? Only if he buys a higher level of service?

And you say contract item? Thats like saying the air we breath while in the car now needs to be a contract item.

UPS commercial customers have always been given a priority over residential customers. After all, they are the largest profit producing segment of our business.

For you to say that to get a delivery before closing time, I either need to order all my products to be delivered by a premium service, or shut the heck up about delivery times, and be glad we get there 5 minutes before we close is very interesting. Especially since for years it always has been before 12.

And everybody wonders why business owners like me go elsewhere. PS, its not the drivers

d

raceanoncr

[QUOTEAnd everybody wonders why business owners like me go elsewhere. PS, its not the drivers

d

You're absolutely right, d. I'm going elsewhere. There ain't no doubt.

Before and during Christmas this year, wifey and I ordered and sent alot o stuff. I didn't specify who delivered but, as I said many times on here before, out of all deliveries we had, I'd say about 97% were sent by PO or FDX. Had no problems with these drivers either.

Comparing prices, UPS was always higher. I'd have to honestly say service was about the same.

Now, since retired, I'm dealing more and more in car parts, buying and selling. What do you think I'm gonna do? Stay loyal and pay up the nose, only to have a shipment delayed cuz some center manager wants his driver in early and forces him to sheet it EC? Am getting a supply of USPS Flat Rate boxes as we speak.

No, this company lost me many moons ago.

tourists24

Supervisors will be required as long as drivers continue to make the same mistakes. You know, the guy who's on his third warning for three different facets. There are drivers in our center, as well as others around this great country who can correct a mistake after only one talk-too. Usually, it's going back to the basics. Counting your total air picked up then making sure the same number is dropped off. This is just one example of many. Who knows if technology will eliminate white collar jobs at UPS, one thing is clear, repeat offenders is job security for a supervisor.
YES... like not grabbing that handrail every time we exit.... clearly a terrible offence..... horrible.... dont buckle your seatbelt a half second before the tires roll... definitely need a supervisor to oversee these atrocities....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
YES... like not grabbing that handrail every time we exit.... clearly a terrible offence..... horrible.... dont buckle your seatbelt a half second before the tires roll... definitely need a supervisor to oversee these atrocities....

+1, yep the only way ups can make profit anymore is through production. The only way ups can make profit anymore is if you grab that handrail every single time...if you miss just once, the competition has beat us. I have a business recently switch over to ups because we were cheaper..and the shipping mgr told me fedex put in 2 different proposals...so who the heck do you believe. If fedex was always cheaper that ups then ups wouldnt have any customers...period. How many of you old timers heard that ups was going out of business years ago..I heard it too even though they were hiring drivers left and right. They talk just to talk....

jeepupser

They will be needed because the full time sups want some one else to be there to take the blame for the mistakes. Without some kind of order it would be like inmates runnning the asylum, oh wait it already is like that.