Wondering if they discriminate against age for Seasonal helpers.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
For seasonal help...ups. could give a rat's azzz about your age....so long as you don't look like you could keel over at any moment. Even then,...they'll tape a package to your hands and point you in the direction of the wind!

J

jibbs

Its illegal to ask your age on a job application... they can ask if you are over 21...

Right, but there's usually some kind of potential tax credit eligibility stuff that they ask you to volunteer information for, and a lot of people seem to think it goes hand-in-hand with the job application.

I believe I've seen the "Are you over 40 years of age?" question there in the past, at least, after I've filled out online job applications.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I had a helper one year, a gray headed gent that looked to be about 55-60 years old. When I saw him I thought to myself, no way. Well, this guy worked circles around the younger folks. After working with him and talking to him for a while I found out: He was an executive with southern pacific railroad. He was about to retire. He lived in a subdivision I didn't deliver to but was familiar with. The homes there start at about $500,000.00, and this was 30 years ago. Our division manager lived in the same subdivision. He took off a month of vacation and did this job every year. He basically said he did it to keep in shape and the money he made went to gifts for Christmas. The guy never complained and had a good attitude throughout.

McGee

t
Right, but there's usually some kind of potential tax credit eligibility stuff that they ask you to volunteer information for, and a lot of people seem to think it goes hand-in-hand with the job application.

I believe I've seen the "Are you over 40 years of age?" question there in the past, at least, after I've filled out online job applications.
true, and most people probably don't know you can opt out of answering ..

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
Last year I was a seasonal helper didn't get one call until about two, weeks before Christmas and I signed up again this year after being emailed asking if I wanted to help again this year. I updated my application gave my new number through an email to the HR that was doing the hiring they called me once but used my old number since my file didn't get updated correctly and haven't been called once since then where my daughter is called in everyday.

Call the call center that you are assigned to a little after 10 AM and give whoever answers your correct phone number. Let them know that this is the number you should be contacted at. You'll get better results.

542thruNthru

I have had 4 different helpers this year. One was 47 another was 54 and another was 400lb. I don't think UPS know or cares. Also the 54 year old was a butt kicker wish I still had him.

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
If you do this next year, be sure to edit your phone numbers before submitting the application. That way they have your correct phone numbers right at the beginning.

Tabatha

On the second set of paper work that you fill out online with your W2's it was in one of those that asked if you are over the age of 40

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yeah right. If only you guys would hear some of the crap they talk about the old guys behind their backs. Old people and females don't belong at UPS, unless it's a corporate job.
images-3.jpeg

Tabatha

Well I think it is bull and someone needs to take a stand and fight for what they believe in. JUST because you are over 40 doesn't mean that you are not a hard worker I work 12 hour shifts at my present job 3 days a week

Tabatha

I am just going to give up on even trying I wrote corporate and asked them about the age never got a response wrote the Recruiter today and thanked her for the opportunity of being able to at least work one year with UPS and I think next year I am not going to even bother with the Farmington Mo UPS maybe another location but not this one

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I am just going to give up on even trying I wrote corporate and asked them about the age never got a response wrote the Recruiter today and thanked her for the opportunity of being able to at least work one year with UPS and I think next year I am not going to even bother with the Farmington Mo UPS maybe another location but not this one
Did you honestly think that Corporate or anyone in UPS management would admit to discrimination of any kind?

oldngray

nowhere special
It seems to me you are just using age as an excuse. UPS really doesn't care how old you are as long as you can fog a mirror. They will promise to many more people than they need that they will be working but that is just to account for the usual % who quit and leave more openings available. UPS will do that to everyone regardless of age.

Tabatha

I am not using the age thing I am, just saying is it possible for them not to call because I am over 40 when I drive around and see younger people in the trucks helping this year