Working for Free?

arice11

Going to start this thread off with an example from recently, although the problem goes back a few years.
My boss has me report to work at 2:45am and I work till about 8:15am.
So why does my time card only show me working 4 hours?
This has been happening a lot ever since I joined UPS and I've addressed my supervisors about it time and time again. They always just tell me that they'll take care of it. I check my time-card again...no change.

So here is my rant. Can UPS really have us working for free...i mean legally...or can I attempt a grievance...just saying, when I'm requested to come in early and stay later, shouldn't I be paid for that time?
But then again this is UPS so maybe there is some way they get away with it.
If this is something I should look into, I'd like to hear where I might start.
An hour or two a week working for free wouldn't be so bad but over a course of 3 seasons...I don't know what to do. HR, the Union...they all just tell me what I want to hear but nothing really gets done.

upschuck

Grieve it. Keep track of your hours, and if not right, ask for green check, if you don't get it the next day, grieve it. Legally they have to pay you for all hours worked.

AndUPSER

I refuse to work 1 minute for free. If my start time is 17:00, I'm not doing anything until 17:00. At my hub, all of the loaders start times are 5 minutes after the sort begins. The thing is, all of them that have no brain start when the sort starts. I figured it out and if I worked 5 minutes for free every day, it would save the company about $400. $400 may be a little high for most pt workers, but I usually get at least 6 hours of ot a week.

When I switched from preload to twilight, they were getting mad at me because I refused to start 5 minutes early. I told them flat out I refuse to work for free. When they had a pt sup take over my load during the 5 minute free period, I immediately got my union steward. They eventually gave me the 5 extra minutes, earning me an extra $400 a year.

Turmlos

I am a bit confused. Are you being shorted actual pay, or is there just a discrepancy on your time card?

Like upschuck suggested, keep track of your hours. The UPS time card system is poorly implemented. Where I work, as a PTer, changes management makes on their end do not appear on time card system used to punch-in. But when I compare my logs to my paychecks, the numbers match. Then again, they know that I am one of two that actually keeps track of their hours.

Don't sell yourself short. Never even entertain the thought of working free for this company. If you are being shorted pay, grieve it. If that doesn't work, go to the Department of Labor. The only way UPS can get away with this is if you allow it. UPS walks all over those that let them.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I'm having a tough time believing the OP. How do you subject yourself to working off the clock? I'm wondering how your co workers and stewards allow it to happen as well. I call BS.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Going to start this thread off with an example from recently, although the problem goes back a few years.
My boss has me report to work at 2:45am and I work till about 8:15am.
So why does my time card only show me working 4 hours?
This has been happening a lot ever since I joined UPS and I've addressed my supervisors about it time and time again. They always just tell me that they'll take care of it. I check my time-card again...no change.

So here is my rant. Can UPS really have us working for free...i mean legally...or can I attempt a grievance...just saying, when I'm requested to come in early and stay later, shouldn't I be paid for that time?
But then again this is UPS so maybe there is some way they get away with it.
If this is something I should look into, I'd like to hear where I might start.
An hour or two a week working for free wouldn't be so bad but over a course of 3 seasons...I don't know what to do. HR, the Union...they all just tell me what I want to hear but nothing really gets done.
Have you heard of a steward or a grievance?? Or are restraining orders the area of your expertise??

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
is this a joke?

either man up or women up or get out!

at the very least get a steward with all your records and grieve it.

UNFREAKINBELEIVABLE.

my general rule of thumb is if they screw me out of a minute I get 10 back. they know it therefore I don't get screwed.

law of this jungle, buddy.

brown metal coffin

I can barely stomach even leaving a minute on the table. Sheesh. Some folks have a complete disconnect. Just do the math and you will be astonished over what that is over a year.