Yes or NO on NEW CONTRACT?

Will u vote yes or no on the new contract?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HazMatMan

Not sure yet 804, It's an hour and a half drive from my house.

Sorry 804 if it's the one out on the Island it will take me a little more than 2 hours to get there. Travel time 4 hours for a 1 hour meeting just doesn't make sense to me. Plus, i'm sure my presence won't change the contract.

BigBrownSanta

Sorry 804 if it's the one out on the Island it will take me a little more than 2 hours to get there. Travel time 4 hours for a 1 hour meeting just doesn't make sense to me. Plus, i'm sure my presence won't change the contract.
I don't think your presence is needed to change the contract, but if you are needing to make an informed decision, it's in your best interest to show up. Of course, you could just believe the rumors and vote any way you want to. In the end, it's your choice.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
UPS is one of the best blue collar jobs in America! Top salary is onver $28 per hour, for full-timers. The waiting list for full time jobs in most places is 5 years and 15 years to be a feeder driver. Take a look around you! You guys have it better than most! The Teamsters have also hobbled your #1 competitor fedex ground in California, and up coming in many other states. The 3 year wage progression is pretty standard. A guy with experience is worth more than a guy without. A part timer gets a 25% raise after 90 days? Is that really unfair? This web sight should be called the disgruntled browncafe.

don't worry, you guys will replace the feeder department in a few years and do it for much less.

HazMatMan

I don't think your presence is needed to change the contract, but if you are needing to make an informed decision, it's in your best interest to show up. Of course, you could just believe the rumors and vote any way you want to. In the end, it's your choice.

I'm voting no regardless......

brazenbrown

New Brown Cafe Member here - howdy folks :)

I hate to make my first post this way but frankly I'm stunned. I'm reading so much anger and frustration over information that hasn't even been released yet. I'm not so naive to think that there aren't agendas by certain people in the way they post but some others really need to take a step back and "listen" to what is being posted and what they are saying. How can anyone, in good conscience, make a decision on his or her vote at this moment in time?

The original poster has put out information which may or may not be correct in it's entirety or in part - I certainly believe we owe it to ourselves and to each other to tone it down a bit until the facts present themselves. Whatever your opinions about the Teamsters or Hoffa or UPS may be need to be put aside so a rational decision making process can take over. I have my own opinions about UPS, about The Teamsters, about Hoffa, about TDU, etc. However, I will try very hard to make an objective decision - one that will benefit me and my family as well as everyone else that works for the company. If I believe the contract is fair given present circumstances then I will vote yes - If I believe the contract will hurt us then I will vote no. However I will NOT base any decision on "vaporware facts".

My 2 cents - for now :)

Exactly!!:thumbup1:

brazenbrown

UPS is one of the best blue collar jobs in America! Top salary is onver $28 per hour, for full-timers. The waiting list for full time jobs in most places is 5 years and 15 years to be a feeder driver. Take a look around you! You guys have it better than most! The Teamsters have also hobbled your #1 competitor fedex ground in California, and up coming in many other states. The 3 year wage progression is pretty standard. A guy with experience is worth more than a guy without. A part timer gets a 25% raise after 90 days? Is that really unfair? This web sight should be called the disgruntled browncafe.

Yes, I agree that many here don't realize how well they have it! By the sounds of some of these posts you'd think they were given a cut in pay and their hours doubled...

A company isn't in business for over 100 years, staying competitive against other carriers that pay way less not knowing how to plan for the future of it's over 400,000 employees by simply just caving in to the demands of the greedy but rather to the ways of a fair days pay for a fair days work.

I have to agree that a 25% raise after 90 days is a damn good deal and a part-time job anywhere is not one to be expected to make a full-time living off of.:thumbup1:

don't worry, you guys will replace the feeder department in a few years and do it for much less.

i have been at ups for 2 years i was hired fulltime after doing seasonal 2 times. this is a good job and i dont think this will happen in the near future, i do believe that they will try to change the way subcontracting is worded so they can use ups freight more so eventually they will stop hiring new feeder drivers and eventually when a feeder driver retires they will replace him with subcontracting like ups freight. But i dont think they could replace us all at once or take away jobs from feeder drivers, i really dont think any one would vote yes on a contact that would go for the elimination of 1000s of jobs. I am only 27yrs old and plan on staying here for as long as i can, i guess if it came down to it i would go to package car.

As far as the new contract if it says anything about alowing more subcontracting i will vote no because i feel it will be a start to the elmination of feeder jobs, also i think the loaders and unloaders are way under paid

nhguy

You people are all crazy to be talking about shooting this down and going on strike! The company and the teamsters have been negotiating for over a year. There were very complicated issues to be resolved. The CS pension was a hugh mess. If the teamsters let that pension fund go under, what would everyone else be saying then? How strong would they be in the eyes of the membership? Everyone would be screaming if they felt their fund was going to end up the same as CS.

Everyone needs to get realistic here. The company is going to put one full years profits just for CS and they are doing this and still offering increases in salary and health and welfare.

Everyone has to wake up to the realties of business. UPS has to be prudent and still protect the longevity of everyones future. It would be totally irresponsible to expect UPS to be willing to go back to the table with expectations of getting more. The reality is you might actually get less.

The contract agreed to after the strike was not as good as the one initially being offered that Carey refused to let the membership vote on..

Remember the big fish always eats the little ones

Pip

i looked at the poll statistics, I've got to say i had to laugh, people are voting down a contract that hasn't had the details of it put out yet. Kind of jumping the gun I think without having the facts.

Regardless of what is in the contract. Since the company and the union agreed. Wouldn't a no vote not only tell the company it's not enough, but tell the union they arn't doing enough to represent it's members. Sounds like the union has a lot of selling to do.

You guys are ridiculously short sighted. You can't expect record increases every contract and still think you're going to have a company to work for in the future.

outamyway

What happens when the existing employees bid up/retire/quit? Their replacements have to come from somewhere. It affects me very much because since I've started, I've seen about an 800% turnover rate. In fact, our seniority list hasn't been updated in a long time because no one has stuck around long enough to make seniority. Everyone has to do nearly twice the work we normally do since we quite literally have half the people we need. We're already getting slammed with volume much higher than normal, and we're severely understaffed, so when a newbie comes in, they get dumped into a very hectic situation and don't receive the training they should because all of our supervisors are working as well. Then they take home their $180 and decide that the Burger King down the road is a better idea since they're starting people at $9-$11 and provide a half-decent benefits package.

+1 It will have a big effect on you and the company in the long run.

agitator

Hey nhguy...no we haven't been negotiating with ups...ups has been proposing and hoffa has been accepting like a 50 yr old spinster in heat...Hoffa's never been a true Teamster...always been a two-faced lawyer

And once again we are looking at a long contract...yeah great..2002 contract.."best ever"...6yrs...this is how C States got the way it did.... 6 years was too long to forsee problems like this...a shorter contract might have dealt with the problem earlier before it grew...

Moreover, "early negotiations" stuff...both " sides" new about the Jan 1 deadline...it appears they purposely coriagraphed this like a dance in order to pressure us/force us...that this is it or nothing...shotgun contract...take it or you really will get screwed!!

All you "members" give ups way too much of the benefit of the doubt..remember these are the people who follow you with video cameras and frisk you before you even enter ups property!!..Stop being appeasing this corp behemoth..Corp America is on the move...look at GM etc...we seem to be the next victim..Ups is a profit making machine DUE TO US NOT THEM!!
Is this what the 65% of you who voted for hoffa was voting for??? (i voted Leedham..PROUDLY...well this is exactly what the 35% of us feared would happen: APPEASEMENT BY OUR LEADERSHIP!

My advice to all: TAKE A STAND..be bold..send this undignified "offer" right back at them

Lets not buckle to Brown and Hoffa scare tactics..lets demonstrate who the "union" really is...its not hoffa or kenny boy...the union is us 400,000 strong
Sorry if im ranting...almost done...If ups is "losing market share" , ITS THEIR OWN FAULT!! Remember its US who makes this company humm.. its their nutty pas or regional/district/local mismanagement
...its US who bend over backwards everyday to help customers and go the extra mile etc... AND USUALLY SOMEONE INSIDE (ok..usually wearing a suit) who screws it all up....and THEY WANT US TO PAY FOR IT?????
Are they nuts?? We deserve better...Dont fold!...Not only vote NO..but HELL NO!!!

in solidarity

brazenbrown

Its people like agitator that give UPS and the union a bad name.

When did he register for the browncafe?? Sept 07! For what reason?

To smear and take advantage by distorting the facts about the contract offer and demean both the Company and the union.

Take a stand and don't let foolish influences like this character have any affect on your right to vote for what you believe in.:thumbup1:

Just another TDU prankster...

mnmoe

Fact We still make the most money out of all truck drivers

Fact the econ. sucks

Fact we are loosing ground againest our compeditor so fill out a lead card

Fact our Health coverage is better then most in this country

Fact our boss is not breathing down our neck all day

Fact when we get bored at a stop just shut the door and drive away

Fact if you hate your job leave Life is to short

agitator

Fact We still make the most money out of all truck drivers

Fact the econ. sucks

Fact we are loosing ground againest our compeditor so fill out a lead card

Fact our Health coverage is better then most in this country

Fact our boss is not breathing down our neck all day

Fact when we get bored at a stop just shut the door and drive away

Fact if you hate your job leave Life is to short

Hey mnmoe...
fact is: gas prices are up, mortgage prices are up, food,etc
fact is: 30 cent raise on aug 1
fact is: ups profitted $4.2 BILLION in 2006...8.6% more than in 05
fact is: we get less than 3% ...THAT sucks my friend
fact is: eskew made $6.2 MILLION last yr...up from a measly $3.1 in 05
fact is: ups stock hasnt moved much??huh..why reward eskew ??
fact is: we do bring in leads everyday
fact is: manangement cant seem to manage to hook'm
fact is: that this country doesnt have a national health plan is a sin
fact is: the diad board IS THE BOSS DOWN OUR NECK
fact is: im proud of the work i do, but not so much for ups corporate greedy culture

Hey mnmoe...
fact is: gas prices are up, mortgage prices are up, food,etc
fact is: 30 cent raise on aug 1
fact is: ups profitted $4.2 BILLION in 2006...8.6% more than in 05
fact is: we get less than 3% ...THAT sucks my friend
fact is: eskew made $6.2 MILLION last yr...up from a measly $3.1 in 05
fact is: ups stock hasnt moved much??huh..why reward eskew ??
fact is: we do bring in leads everyday
fact is: manangement cant seem to manage to hook'm
fact is: that this country doesnt have a national health plan is a sin
fact is: the diad board IS THE BOSS DOWN OUR NECK
fact is: im proud of the work i do, but not so much for ups corporate greedy culture

Are you saying UPS doesn't buy fuel?

How much is .30 times all the drivers + what all other employees are getting?

What does eskew make compared to all other COEs and what is their stock doing?

Not all drivers turn in sales leads, because they don't want more work.
Maybe you make too much money for mgmt. to hook new accounts

UPS almost lost the Starbucks account in 1998 because a driver was woking out and showering in one of it's facilities. Can you imagine having to explain that to Howard Schultz?

Why should UPS pay because there is no national health plan?

Have a clue, sounds like you're the greedy one here. If UPS was in the red would you give something back? I don't think so. Profit isn't a bad thing (I know you've heard that) UPS must keep making money to support you and the union.

agitator

1989...my heart bleeds for you corporate true believers...if ups was losing $, we would be getting laid off...and expecting give backs..look at all the give backs gm workers gave back to gm to "save gm" in the 1980s and 90s..15 yrs ago or so over 400,000 union jobs at gm..now under 75,000...they gave back and still gm take s more!!

on health care: why doesnt companies like gm and ups use their big lobbying $ and instead of lobbying to get the so called "pension protection act" passed and undermine osha regulations etc...why dont they LOBBY AND USE THEIR CORP MUSCLE AND PUSH FOR NATIONAL HEALTH CARE...here we agree..it would take burden off corp america and give ALL AMERICANS some security in their health care...keeps it out of negoitations and contracts...it should be a right not a negotiation tactic