1/30/23 announcement

thedownhillEXPRESS

We were told Jan 1, no more response. No news on what the response drivers will be doing, laid off or whatever.

With the turn over we have, there will be none left anyway by then.

Speculation is that because estar creates so many routes that most of them will come in just a little later than regular start time and they will be shoehorned into the sort where needed. FedEx is going to drive and "market" their express deliveries as "get it by 2-3pm" then we'll have pickup routes running later in the day.

We started estar m-sat last week, on mondays my route has balooned from 50 to 100 stops(went from a 9hr day to 12, and 110miles to 150+), haven't had a day yet without late P1 because the system is wrong on so much. It also flexes me downtown, to buildings that the "regular" driver has keys, codes, and access cards for, not to mention constantly going to new areas with no idea about business "delivery practices" ie where it goes, what doors/docks to use...

Good times, customers are really glad we are putting them first!
This post summed up the problems with EStar as good as any.

McFeely

Huge Member
Both response and E^ will never work, just like the FRID tags for FO and meds... Money well spent!

All of us at stations know this, including management. Just curious if they’re supposedly shutting down the whole thing or not. We had it shut down for a couple of months in my area this spring but it came back.

I don’t see Estar going away, at least that they (should) be able to improve and tweak that one. But this is FedEx so you know 😂

yadig

RESPONSE was implemented to deal with the surge of volume that came from the COVID shutdown. It was never intended to be permanent.
Response had nothing to do with Covid or a surge in volume. It was to get customers to ship more FO and P1.

purplelife

Response had nothing to do with Covid or a surge in volume. It was to get customers to ship more FO and P1.
Yeah, wasn't response initially supposed to roll out early 2020 and was delayed because of covid? And it was in planning in 2019? So they were planning on a response to covid which hadn't happened yet, sure.....

Star B

White Lightening
.... just like the FRID tags for FO and meds... Money well spent!
What do you mean by that? They work just fine.

Even if the package isn't scanned into a can, we can still know with relative certainty that it's at a station when we sign into the dashboard and see the pings from the senseaware showing it was at the apron, to the ramp, to the ctv area, then to the station, then down the belt.

Nolimitz

We have quit using them as there was a massive failure in tracking. It may be a regional thing? there a few that trickle in still but nothing like before the failure

yadig

I believe that’s so.
Nope. Response was created to force more customers to p1. It has been a disaster for customers who were use to getting p1, sos, and 2 day at same time every day. It created two different couriers going to same business daily. I think they we’re planning on moving all 2day over to ground. The contractors threw a wrench into the plan when Patton went on fox.

Artee

On the AGFS side of things, Response was meant to send less freight into MEMH because they did not have the staffing to deal with the volume at that time. Hence planes not leaving on time and freight being left behind in MEMH. Since INDY had excess capacity they were not utilizing, a new split was created to make cans for INDY to bypass the Memphis hub. We had to create new trucking routes and fly extra planes to move this freight to a different hub.

If MEMH is willing to take this freight back that means they have increased their staffing(not likely) or volume has fallen off so much that the reduced staff at the MEMH hub is enough to sort this new lower volume of freight without disruption of the launch times of the planes. FDX has finally come to realize that the extra cost of planes, trucks, routes and personnel to have two sort locations when one will suffice, are not justified with the volume levels we are experiencing.

MassWineGuy

I guess that technically, P2 and other non P1 freight should be delivered later in the day. Practically though, it makes no sense.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I guess that technically, P2 and other non P1 freight should be delivered later in the day. Practically though, it makes no sense.
Efficiency drives profitability, not technicality. P2 standalones should be delivered in their contracted commitment times. Not as some form of blackmail to force shippers to use P1 service.