Any talk of more Express closures

Mateo

I’m wondering if anyone may have heard anything about more closures coming. A lot of rumors going around that an announcement of some sort will be made in September. Many of the rumors are that LFTA (Lafayette La )will be merging. Also hearing about incentives for couriers to buy Ground routes. I know it’s coming just want to know how soon. Everyone is on edge as you can imagine.

Gone fishin

I’m wondering if anyone may have heard anything about more closures coming. A lot of rumors going around that an announcement of some sort will be made in September. Many of the rumors are that LFTA (Lafayette La )will be merging. Also hearing about incentives for couriers to buy Ground routes. I know it’s coming just want to know how soon. Everyone is on edge as you can imagine.
Couldn’t imagine an express courier buying a ground route , we know too much

bacha29

Plenty for sale at some of the best prices in years. Some are going for "take it off your hands" prices. So just exactly what are these so called "incentives"?

Mindthegap

If the pattern holds, it’s usually the first week of the month that news comes out about new closings, when express has to file warn notices with whichever state they are closing in.

Mateo

I didn’t hear what the incentives are supposed to be, just that something was in the works to try to get couriers to make that move.

Thanks. I didn’t realize there was a pattern. I know it’s coming eventually. Unreal how many people are in denial.

It will be fine

I didn’t hear what the incentives are supposed to be, just that something was in the works to try to get couriers to make that move.
No chance they are offering incentives for truck drivers to take contracts. They want ignorant investor types to dump money into the system for no return. They know couriers are poor with what they’ve been paid over the years. Driving a truck does not make someone a successful contractor.

Mateo

I know the director was here a couple of months ago and told us in a meeting that we needed to go to Ground and be the man instead of working for the man. Nothing would surprise me at this point. I do agree that running a route doesn’t qualify you to run a business.

Gone fishin

No chance they are offering incentives for truck drivers to take contracts. They want ignorant investor types to dump money into the system for no return. They know couriers are poor with what they’ve been paid over the years. Driving a truck does not make someone a successful contractor.
I think it’s more about not getting involved with a sinking company and dealing with the management. You don’t own a business as a contractor , you’re a stooge for fedex. Your business ends when their business ends and if they don’t want you , they’ll just pull your contract.
It’s not real

bacha29

I think it’s more about not getting involved with a sinking company and dealing with the management. You don’t own a business as a contractor , you’re a stooge for fedex. Your business ends when their business ends and if they don’t want you , they’ll just pull your contract.
It’s not real
You can go buy short term insured paper CD's T's etc and get by and large a comparable return. But to go and put everything you've got savings, house, car, life insurance etc to float a loan to buy up an FDX contract that offers zero contractual protections for that money and in a GOOD year you now might have a mid to high single digit percentage return. And this is not the first time Fat Freddy has slowed settlement increases or flat out cut rates when he believed contractors were making too much money.

It's interesting to see how FDX is trying to get people on the inside to bite on the deal despite the fact that they if anybody would know an increasingly unattractive deal when the see it. So what's that tell you?

People on the outside now know enough to stay away from it as well.

dezguy

I know the director was here a couple of months ago and told us in a meeting that we needed to go to Ground and be the man instead of working for the man. Nothing would surprise me at this point. I do agree that running a route doesn’t qualify you to run a business.
Wait, so someone who is working for the man told you that you need to be the man, instead? I sure hope someone called him/her out for that mouthful of bull:censored2:.

Mateo

Yea really. If it’s so great why isn’t he doing it! I was so shocked he was saying that. Really wish I had a video of it because it’s hard to believe a Director would say that.

Artee

Thats whats happening around here with the stations that are closing. A couple PT drivers are purchasing their afternoon pick up routes for $25k. FDX is throwing in an old Econline van or an old bread truck to sweeten the deal. They will also get priority opportunity for the new FedEx Tri Color service coming out. :teethy:

NC man

Run away fast and far. Anything fedex tells you is good for you is always a lie. Before they froze the trad pension they offered the portable ,not enough bit so they froze the traditional and forced everyone into the portable As one example.

bacha29

Thats whats happening around here with the stations that are closing. A couple PT drivers are purchasing their afternoon pick up routes for $25k. FDX is throwing in an old Econline van or an old bread truck to sweeten the deal. They will also get priority opportunity for the new FedEx Tri Color service coming out. :teethy:
So what it means is FDX for the next year will get it's PM pickups hauled for free and an old piece of junk off it's hands.
One rotten deal after another but as long as people will still bite on it Fat Freddy will continue to feed it to them.

Mutineer

So what it means is FDX for the next year will get it's PM pickups hauled for free and an old piece of junk off it's hands.
One rotten deal after another but as long as people will still bite on it Fat Freddy will continue to feed it to them.

It wouldn't surprise me if the first contract is very decent and fair. But after they're suckered in and the initial contract expires, FedEx will pressure them into investing more $ in vans and employees in order to qualify or comply with the 'new' contract.

Then FedEx will pay and treat them like crap, and they will be too invested to leave, and too broke to do anything else.

FedupExpress

Next year when exactly?