$15 an hour minimum wage.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
I, a management guy, stand with he fast food workers. Working conditions at fast food restaurants are terrible. They're dealing with a constant stream of whiney customers and a population that views them as second class citizens. It's a wonder that anyone works there. When I drive through their lots and see the vehicles of the workers in disrepair I feel guilty for being part of the process. I don't care if fast food prices increase.

oldngray

nowhere special
I, a management guy, stand with he fast food workers. Working conditions at fast food restaurants are terrible. They're dealing with a constant stream of whiney customers and a population that views them as second class citizens. It's a wonder that anyone works there. When I drive through their lots and see the vehicles of the workers in disrepair I feel guilty for being part of the process. I don't care if fast food prices increase.

Tip the workers if you feel that much for them.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
I always tip well when I feel its appropriate. Sorry but McDonalds doesn't fit that category for me.
OK, but by doing so you're feeding the machine that pays the McDonalds CEO $9,000+/hour while you criticize the $8/hour worker doing what the CEO is asking. Seems pretty :censored2:ty to me but it's a free country.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Minimum wage is not designed to support an "adequate means of living". It is and always should be an entry level position, not one someone should expect to live comfortably on or to support a family. It is for entry level jobs used as a stepping stone to better jobs or for short term employment. Not as a career. And everything is relative. If everyone had a million dollars nobody would be rich because the cost of living would also increase.

Not designed by who to not supply an adequate living? Because when it was instituted it very much was!

The problem many people seem to have is to think that if you raise the minimum wage most people will become complacent, but that is simply not the case. Typically, people have something driving them and will always strive to improve. They just may not have the resources or intellect to exceed academically, and thus professionally. But unless companies are losing money or barely making even concerning their labor, there is little reason for their talents, however minor and common, to be taken advantage as they have been as of late, because old, a minimum wage used to go a lot farther, as you are no doubt aware.

The only people who used to have to work three jobs were trying to get ahead financially. That shouldn't be what is needed to survive, and a minimum wage was designed for a decent living. Again, look it up.

Finally, an increase in labor costs will probably drive companies to be more innovative and look to automation. That is not a problem. First, jobs they cannot be replaced in-janitors, hospitality workers, restaurant workers and the like - will still be there to provide a decent wage, and maybe even grow, as more people with discretionary income spend it. Additionally, it will drive out those who are not serious about being employed, say a kid looking for a summer job, and the like. Regular working people shouldn't have their living reduced because a kid wants a summer job.

oldngray

nowhere special
Not designed by who to not supply an adequate living? Because when it was instituted it very much was!

The problem many people seem to have is to think that if you raise the minimum wage most people will become complacent, but that is simply not the case. Typically, people have something driving them and will always strive to improve. They just may not have the resources or intellect to exceed academically, and thus professionally. But unless companies are losing money or barely making even concerning their labor, there is little reason for their talents, however minor and common, to be taken advantage as they have been as of late, because old, a minimum wage used to go a lot farther, as you are no doubt aware.

The only people who used to have to work three jobs were trying to get ahead financially. That shouldn't be what is needed to survive, and a minimum wage was designed for a decent living. Again, look it up.

Finally, an increase in labor costs will probably drive companies to be more innovative and look to automation. That is not a problem. First, jobs they cannot be replaced in-janitors, hospitality workers, restaurant workers and the like - will still be there to provide a decent wage, and maybe even grow, as more people with discretionary income spend it. Additionally, it will drive out those who are not serious about being employed, say a kid looking for a summer job, and the like. Regular working people shouldn't have their living reduced because a kid wants a summer job.

Minimum wage is enough to survive on but not enough to raise people out of poverty level. A "decent" living does not include most of the luxuries everyone now expects to have. People could survive on minimum wage jobs but they would have to eliminate many of those unnecessary luxuries. They would not starve to death and might not like it but that gives them incentive to try to improve their situation. It would be unfair to those who work more difficult jobs for the same pay so those other workers would also need a wage increase or they would just do the simple jobs for the same pay. And that would go throughout the whole economy with everyone's wages increasing but gaining nothing because cost of living would also increase.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

One other thing:

IF raising the minimum wage resulted in inflation, so long as the minimum wage was pegged to that inflationary number, since the wage floor would rise, everyone's wage would rise. So, the person who can buy what a million dollars buys today will still have that buying power, since their wages would rise as well. It may be $1.5mil vs $1 mil today, but they wouldn't be disadvantaged.

However, I don't think prices would raise all that much. Rather, other things would be done to try and keep prices where they are (since runaway inflation will affect businesses in other ways). More reliance on automation is one already mentioned. Another is companies creating other revenue streams to compensate. So, McDonald's may start to charge you for straws, bags, and the like. You don't use a bag, you don't pay. But most will.

An example of this is Aldi's. They not only have good, quality food at cheap prices (again, research the quality of their food; I was amazed), they also pay their workers some of the highest wages in the supermarket industry, with good bennies. How can they do this? You buy bags from them. Their stores have a very basic setup. No credit card transactions (and thus no credit card fees, although they do take debit).

Our very own UPS is another example. We moan and complain about how they just pour work on us, and all the reports they watch us on now. However, I realize this is one way they try to compensate for our industry - leading wages. Hence, not only do I not complain about these, I am one of the "fools" who tries to meet their numbers. I don't go crazy, but I enjoy my wages and will work to keep them.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Minimum wage is enough to survive on but not enough to raise people out of poverty level. A "decent" living does not include most of the luxuries everyone now expects to have. People could survive on minimum wage jobs but they would have to eliminate many of those unnecessary luxuries. They would not starve to death and might not like it but that gives them incentive to try to improve their situation. It would be unfair to those who work more difficult jobs for the same pay so those other workers would also need a wage increase or they would just do the simple jobs for the same pay. And that would go throughout the whole economy with everyone's wages increasing but gaining nothing because cost of living would also increase.
A TV today, a run down old car, a computer or mobile phone, decent healthcare, these are not luxuries; these are all part of a "decent" living. A living wage is supposed to provide for a decent living; a bare apt with a blanket on the floor and no funiture, while being a roof over someone's heads, is not "decent" in this country. It is not adequate. It looks poor. That was not what the minimum wage was meant for.What's more, give people a leg to stand on, and some may be able to so more with that minimum wage than we can imagine. But they need to get a leg. Some who get a taste will be driven to do more, but they still need to have the basics.

redrooster

WOOF WOOF
You can't bring anyone out of poverty. Poverty is a mindset. The individuals who earn 8 an hour deserve 8 an hour because that's what they accepted.

WESLA

It is what it is
Don't like it , can't hack it ,quit, go to fed ex or mc Donald's , no one said it is " exclusive" but it ain't easy. Punk.
Pretty sure you were the one that insinuated you were so much better than fast food workers since you have done such outstanding things in your life, like working at ups. Sorry that you were offended by my replies and had to resort to name calling. The last thing I want to do is be on Johnny footballs bad side.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Poverty is a condition that produces a mindset.

Think of someone with a disability. They can look at themselves as disabled, or "pull themselves up by their bootstraps" and be someone, OR be made aware of programs to help them do more and succeed. Raising the minimum wage is that "program" for those impoverished (a condition, not a mindset).

redrooster

WOOF WOOF
15 bucks an hour 32000 bucks a year to flip burgers. More than most college grads get. Screw college screw making grades or working hard just go flip some burgers! Utopia fairness for all!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I have. Who will join me?
I have once...there's this kid at the Mcdonalds by my building...I tipped him 5 bucks around Christmas last year. I've not gone in there for more than a month, come back and this guy still remembers how I take my coffee, gives me my ups discount without making me ask and couldn't be nicer.

Last edited:

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
15 bucks an hour 32000 bucks a year to flip burgers. More than most college grads get. Screw college screw making grades or working hard just go flip some burgers! Utopia fairness for all!
What's the difference between flipping burgers and delivering packages - really. Pressure to produce is the same and they probably get treated worse by their customers. Both groups are working hard. I don't understand why you think UPS drivers deserve $22 more per hour than they do. Most of them have drivers licenses and could follow ORION.[/quote]

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
What's the difference between flipping burgers and delivering packages - really. Pressure to produce is the same and they probably get treated worse by their customers. Both groups are working hard. I don't understand why you think UPS drivers deserve $22 more per hour than they do. Most of them have drivers licenses and could follow ORION.
Spoken like a true center manager! So, how much do earn a year, sir, if you don't mind me asking?

redrooster

WOOF WOOF
What's the difference between flipping burgers and delivering packages - really. Pressure to produce is the same and they probably get treated worse by their customers. Both groups are working hard. I don't understand why you think UPS drivers deserve $22 more per hour than they do. Most of them have drivers licenses and could follow ORION.
[/quote]
I'm not opposed to unions and negotiated wages between the company and the workers. I'm opposed to the government telling a business what they have to pay per hour. The business should be free to pay the wages they feel are fair and employees are free as to whether or not they want to accept those wages. The government needs to step back and let the free enterprise system work it's magic as much as much as possible.