177 and the west come through.

104 fully supports Local 177's Executive Board Slate, you're our new best friends and Andy couldn't have done it without you.
If I'm correct. One of your guys(maybe Andy) was the math wizard that put the numbers together. It was him that said to 177 boys that this is not going to work. So if you see him tell him thank you too.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I like the way you constantly put up vague information to try to sway people to your way of thinking. How about some facts?
1. The 3 members of Local 177 Executive Board the were appointed to the National Negotiating Committee along with the reps from western states objected to moving into CS healthcare from day one.
2. To appease this objection, ups ponied up additional monies creating CS6 enhanced plan later known as Teamcare. Better, but still not enough to bring back to members.
3. Through continued objections by 177 and western states alone, it was agreed that language would be put in the master agreement (in the form of a Memorandum of Agreement) giving them the authority to find equal to or better than the Teamcare plan.
4. After the passage of the master agreement, armed with their MOA 177 and western states immediately went to work on the complicated process of developing their own healthcare plan. Feasibility study, structuring the coverage elements, aligning the cost structures with the available funding, presenting it to the Actuaries, the IBT, and UPS for review. Taking questions and concerns from those parties, researching, answering or clarifying and resubmitting updates until the plan was acceptable to all. Keeping in mind that all this had to be accomplished by Nov.1st or the deal was off.
5. Add to the difficulty of all the above tasks, the same board members responsible for this are also involved in renegotiating the Supplemental Agreement, informing members of the progress, and having to run for re-election all while still conducting the day to day business of protecting members rights and enforcing the contract.

RESULTS;

1. Success, we now have our own plan that is not only equal to or better than Teamcare it contains improvements over the company plan we used to be in;
a. preserved early retirement age options.
b. spouse is covered until age 65 no matter what their age when you retire (no more 10 year limit.)
c. dependent children will be covered.
d. low cost medicare supplemental insurance after age 65.

SIDE NOTE: After reviewing the proposal for our plan, the IBT and the teamcare actuaries restructured many elements of their plan to mirror our plan.

Supplemental Agreement;
1. A supplement containing many enhancements was negotiated including provisions to bump the pension payout of 400.00 a month. This was voted down along with the master by members who were concerned over healthcare changes.
2. Negotiations have been reopened, surveys were conducted to give members the opportunity to express their concerns.
3. the committee meet to review these concerns and prepare revised proposals to submit to ups.
4. To date, the committee has met with the company 3 times to exchange and review proposals.

So Wally, instead of making false accusations of this board of being in "save our rear end" mode, now that you know the facts may you will take the opportunity to thank your executive board for all their efforts on behalf of you and all the members of Local 177.

AS A SHOP STEWARD OF 17 YEARS WHO HAS ALWAYS BEEN BACKED UP 150% BY THIS EXECUTIVE BOARD, ALL I CAN SAY IS FOR YOUR OWN GOOD, THE GOOD OF YOUR FAMILY, AND THE CONTINUED SUCCESS OF THIE UNION................VOTE THE 177 EXECUTIVE BOARD SLATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To say that this whole thing is not connected to politics seem silly to me. The fact is, the first supplement was put out there, then soundly rejected by membership. What if it passed? We would be stuck with a bad deal. Why was the first deal put out, many were asking? I can't believe the vote and the size of the rejection, didn't have leadership concerned. I would argue in fact, it was the upcoming election that ultimately helped get us a better deal. Will they be using the new deal as a campaigning tool? You bet they will.

To say that this whole thing is not connected to politics seem silly to me. The fact is, the first supplement was put out there, then soundly rejected by membership. What if it passed? We would be stuck with a bad deal. Why was the first deal put out, many were asking? I can't believe the vote and the size of the rejection, didn't have leadership concerned. I would argue in fact, it was the upcoming election that ultimately helped get us a better deal. Will they be using the new deal as a campaigning tool? You bet they will.
Sometimes you need to give a little push to get are union in gear. That's where are voting came in. The new healthcare in 177 and the west issue still would have happened if the locals would have passed. So now we got what we wanted and if we get more it is a plus. It's A win win.

LagunaBrown

A lot of people out here did not understand the West got the MOU added and that is why they asked people to vote yes. The central states plan was a plan B for us all along. It was based on trust and many listened to Locker room Lawyers that said a carve out could never get done. The SPD's will come out and we will vote on it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The COLA raise didnt offset the rising costs of food, shelter, and healthcare. The net result is still a paycut, even after the COLA raise

The primary purpose of raises is to offset inflation.
​The raises you got plus the COLA raise offset inflation very easily.
Inflation over the last 5 years has been less than 2% every year except the one in which you got the COLA raise.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

brown_trousers

The primary purpose of raises is to offset inflation.
​The raises you got plus the COLA raise offset inflation very easily.
Inflation over the last 5 years has been less than 2% every year except the one in which you got the COLA raise.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

COLA isnt to offset inflation, it is to offset "cost of living". COLA = cost of living adjustment. Inflation is just one part of the big picture when it comes to cost of living. I dont think the COLA raise will keep up with food, shelter, and healthcare in the years to come

Catatonic

Nine Lives
COLA isnt to offset inflation, it is to offset "cost of living". COLA = cost of living adjustment. Inflation is just one part of the big picture when it comes to cost of living. I dont think the COLA raise will keep up with food, shelter, and healthcare in the years to come

I'm not sure why you quoted me when what you replied has nothing to do with what I wrote.
Go back and read what I wrote again and pay attention.
I realize that COLA and inflation are different indexes.
COLA is almost always less than inflation if not all the time.

What I said was that the ​contractual raises are to offset inflation.

brown_trousers

I'm not sure why you quoted me when what you replied has nothing to do with what I wrote.
Go back and read what I wrote again and pay attention.
I realize that COLA and inflation are different indexes.
COLA is almost always less than inflation if not all the time.

What I said was that the ​contractual raises are to offset inflation.

Im sorry, were you referring to cola, like soda, coke, or pepsi? Or were you referring to the cost of living adjustment that I replied to.

Maybe you need to get those old eyes checked out and reread what you wrote.

ezmoney5150

Unbelievable. A pay cut? Really? What world do you live in? Try perspective. I've said this before. I've never seen people that are better off than 95% of America complain like you and some others. I think you need to take a leave of absence for a year and go work for Wall Mart and see how good you have it. I bet after a year you'd never complain again.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Im sorry, were you referring to cola, like soda, coke, or pepsi? Or were you referring to the cost of living adjustment that I replied to.

Maybe you need to get those old eyes checked out and reread what you wrote.

If you want to play stupid, that's fine.

​I was actually trying to carry on a interchange of ideas.

Unbelievable. A pay cut? Really? What world do you live in? Try perspective. I've said this before. I've never seen people that are better off than 95% of America complain like you and some others. I think you need to take a leave of absence for a year and go work for Wall Mart and see how good you have it. I bet after a year you'd never complain again.
Is it ok that everyone to close 8 to 15 bucks a hour is a good thing? I don't think so but a lot of people in this nation think so because there is a lot of comparing between us and them crap. This is why COLA is so bad in this nation. A lot of people think it's good pay and you should be happy with it.

​Don't get me wrong I make good money. But if I had to freeze my raises or give them a way for a contract so people that make 8 dollars hour can get a good raise I would do it. Also the people above me in this nation can afford give a lot more then me. But it seems the ones in the bottom (working class) are the ones that suffer.

ezmoney5150

Is it ok that everyone to close 8 to 15 bucks a hour is a good thing? I don't think so but a lot of people in this nation think so because there is a lot of comparing between us and them crap. This is why COLA is so bad in this nation. A lot of people think it's good pay and you should be happy with it.

​Don't get me wrong I make good money. But if I had to freeze my raises or give them a way for a contract so people that make 8 dollars hour can get a good raise I would do it. Also the people above me in this nation can afford give a lot more then me. But it seems the ones in the bottom (working class) are the ones that suffer.

Were not suffering.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I don't want to sound like Integrity but what do you mean by "suffer"?

ezmoney5150

I don't want to sound like Integrity but what do you mean by "suffer"?

By most accounts, $32 an hour with paid for health insurance and a pension, which hardly anyone has anymore, is not suffering.