1800.GO.BUDGET

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
So look, I'm in a rental driving all over my service area wif my 12' Ford E350HD.

As I back into a driveway to deliver a bulk chewy.com to a customer's garage, He comes out to say that he is grateful that BUDGET rental hires better drivers than FedEx & called the 800# to provide a positive feedback for their service

tenor.gif

I'm dressed in that sexy new uniform shirt that has FedEx on my friggin shoulder!!!! And a company logo cap to boot

Sigh, some customers... LoL

Yeah yeah,
Dear driver:

shut up and deliver your stuff.

the investor class

NeatCleanArcticfox-max-1mb.gif

NYCFXG

I love how you HD guys call chewy bulk. Bulk is 30 South Shore boxes going to the third floor of my local police precinct. No elevators. Backing up to a garage. Gimme a break.

I have hired 3 HD guys in the last month and all of them during the interview complained about chewy boxes. I just smile and say, "We don't get chewy boxes." That normally gets them all excited. Until they deliver their first King size mattress or bunk bed with attached desk.

OrioN

LoL, yeah, I'm rural... this customer gets about a dozen boxes every 2 weeks or so ( canine business on his property)

He tracks them & since the chewy distribution center is in the next state, he'll open up the garage door for me when he gets the " out for delivery" notice. Usually 1-2 days, depending on the local CDL A driver

And I had another thread about oversized and or bulk stops somewhere... that sofa set was icing on the purple promise cake for me this year...

OrioN

I have hired 3 HD guys in the last month and all of them during the interview complained about chewy boxes.

Those are what u call millennial snowflake drivers??? Expect them quitting before peak season... if u didn't supply hand trucks

NYCFXG

My guys are paid extremely well. But they work hard for it. I am definitely leaving money on the table by paying my guys as much as I do, but I also have a lot less turnover than the other guys in my terminal. My managers are very well taken care of as well.

OrioN

you guys have to rent vehicles before peak season?

wew lad...

YaI mon, I'm in a rental for most of the year already... this isn't a supplemental route either

Wtg, NYC, since that market is high in terms of standard of living and $15 min wage for N.Y.state is in full effect yet? U cover costs of parking tix as well since it's hard to find a space for all those apartment stops??? That's lucky u still have some profit left over after u payoff your drivers/staff

bacha29

you guys have to rent vehicles before peak season?

wew lad...
Perhaps this will help answer your question. Before the conversion to the ISP format whenever there was a volume spike the terminal would pick up the tab for staffing agency drivers and rental vans to cover the it. Not the case with ISP. They'll have to procure additional assets and hope that they guessed correctly when it comes to how much they need and when they need them.

OrioN

Scratches head... so y is my full time route doesn't have a regular FedEx logo vehicle yet? My state did the conversion about 2 months ago.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Perhaps this will help answer your question. Before the conversion to the ISP format whenever there was a volume spike the terminal would pick up the tab for staffing agency drivers and rental vans to cover the it. Not the case with ISP. They'll have to procure additional assets and hope that they guessed correctly when it comes to how much they need and when they need them.
i honestly don't know how FedEx makes money off anything but Express

even with the faux-slavery they have going on with the Ground operation, it seems like the total disorganization would eat any profits they could squeeze out

NYCFXG

i honestly don't know how FedEx makes money off anything but Express

even with the faux-slavery they have going on with the Ground operation, it seems like the total disorganization would eat any profits they could squeeze out

Lol.. I have one pick up x makes 50k a week on. It's over 6k packs at a shipping average cost of $16. I know this because the customer has become a good friend of mine. That's just 1 pick up. That's after factoring in what they pay me to pick up, linehaul to transport and G/HD to deliver. There is no mystery behind their profits. It is only increasing with the drastic increase in over-sized packages. This is a supremely profitable company that has cash to burn on over priced leases and property development for new terminals and hubs. If they were to slow down their expansion they would be forced to give away large sums of money to taxes.

Last edited:

bacha29

Lol.. I have one pick up x makes 50k a week on. It's over 6k packs at a shipping average cost of $16. I know this because the customer has become a good friend of mine. That's just 1 pick up. That's after factoring in what they pay me to pick up, linehaul to transport and G/HD to deliver. There is no mystery behind their profits. It is only increasing with the drastic increase in over-sized packages. This is a supremely profitable company that has cash to burn on over priced leases and property development for new terminals and hubs. If they were to slow down their expansion they would be forced to give away large sums of money to taxes.
Point well taken. It's a poor but at the same time very profitable set up and therefore no incentive to streamline or consolidate.

NYCFXG

Your contractor shouldn't be able to keep a rental truck running for more than 30 days according to the DOT.

Rentals are meant to be used as a short term replacement for a vehicle that is OOS. Any contractor that rents long term is seriously cash strapped and needs to reconsider how they are running their business. In most cases, it would be better to jettison excess work than it would be to run a rental longer than a week or two. Obviously, peak is different. I was able to grow to my size due to contractors not being able to handle increases in volume and I was there to scoop up the work because I always had extra trucks.

A brand new gasoline F59 P1000 leases out to be just shy of 1k a month. A rental is close to 400 a week for me. Even if I can get them down to 350 a week that is still more than $1,500 a month. I don't understand a business owner who throws away money like that. Even if he doesn't have cash to get a used truck for cheap, there are other solutions. Renting is a terrible, terrible way to spend your money.

It will be fine

Rentals are meant to be used as a short term replacement for a vehicle that is OOS. Any contractor that rents long term is seriously cash strapped and needs to reconsider how they are running their business. In most cases, it would be better to jettison excess work than it would be to run a rental longer than a week or two. Obviously, peak is different. I was able to grow to my size due to contractors not being able to handle increases in volume and I was there to scoop up the work because I always had extra trucks.

A brand new gasoline F59 P1000 leases out to be just shy of 1k a month. A rental is close to 400 a week for me. Even if I can get them down to 350 a week that is still more than $1,500 a month. I don't understand a business owner who throws away money like that. Even if he doesn't have cash to get a used truck for cheap, there are other solutions. Renting is a terrible, terrible way to spend your money.
Your credit would need to be terrible to run a rental for a year. At worst you can hit up an auction and grab something serviceable for $5-6k to last a year in a pinch. If you can't even swing that, it's time to sell.

Oldfart

Your contractor shouldn't be able to keep a rental truck running for more than 30 days according to the DOT.
How so. Lots of companies rent their trucks from Penske on a long term basis and Penske stages the trucks and handles maintenance. How is that legal if you say DOT doesn't allow that?

It will be fine

How so. Lots of companies rent their trucks from Penske on a long term basis and Penske stages the trucks and handles maintenance. How is that legal if you say DOT doesn't allow that?
You can do a long term lease, but if you are running freight under the Fedex DOT number the truck needs to be leased back to Fedex. All my trucks are under a type of operational lease to Fedex saying they run under their authority. Rentals are only allowed for 30 days. If you operate a vehicle longer than that under the DOT number it needs to be leased to the carrier. The term lease is different in this context than a typical purchase lease.

It also would need to be enforced by the DOT, which it obviously isn't unless an accident happens.

OrioN

Hmmm, my manager and other contractor managers are also shrugging their shoulders as to why I'm still in a rental. Good to see some attempts as to why... I'm not allowed to place FedEx logos on it to boot, since BUDGET has their own DOT# on the doors

I guess I'm BUDGET delivery service from now on till the end of peak!