1997 UPS Work Stoppage

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Good question, haven’t seen any worth more than like $26.
giphy.gif

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I'm basically going to vote No on the contract to friend with Fitbit's retirement now !!!!
Send him to the Facebook sites which are connected to ups and the contract... there’s a hell of a lot of people that are pissed about this contract than just 45 like he touts on here... he needs to wtfu!!

ManInBrown

At least in my building the company promoted PT sups or any one else as off the street hires just to punish PT for supporting the strike. The only Teamsters that crossed were Package car delivery drivers. Had to make their Corvette payment.
Wow. You had drivers you worked with that crossed the picket line? Do you remember what the treatment was like towards them when the strike ended? I would lose everything before I would ever consider crossing the picket line. And then I still wouldn’t. How did those drivers look everyone else in the face everyday going into the building?

F

Frankie's Friend

Have a time or two.
I've had a Class A TX or NT for over 25 years and I would never pull combi down the road for $26 an hour unless I was desperate.

DSDing multiple stores a day was worse but there's people making more at factories that work first shift and they can at least be alive when they're awake.

Feeders at night is the hardest easy job I've done.

P700slave

Don't forget that massive 23$ weekly strike check. The UPS employees are what keeps this union afloat. Bet you money if we struck, there would be NO strike pay. Just like in 1997, the union has failed to plain to help us, when we have been their money tree, as members, for years.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Wow. You had drivers you worked with that crossed the picket line? Do you remember what the treatment was like towards them when the strike ended? I would lose everything before I would ever consider crossing the picket line. And then I still wouldn’t. How did those drivers look everyone else in the face everyday going into the building?

We just tarred and feathered ours, teach them scabs a good lesson.

rod

Retired 22 years
It's August, 1997. You get that call from your Steward that you are on strike. Your Center Manager also follows up with a call & verifies it's true & he'll be in contact. Of course you don't answer his call, you let your answering machine take it because you're sick to your guts on what it all means and what happens now. You start to wonder about your vacations in the fall, if you'll get those if it's really your last day at UPS. You think, If an agreement is reached will all my vacation be used as time off during the stoppage. You don't know... you think about the bills you have and if your nut snip in September needs rescheduled or canceled, same with your kids dental appointments. A wave of anxiety rushes over you. You think, where can I find another job pronto that pays as well with those kind of benefits. You start thinking about Al Bundy selling shoes on Married with Children. Family starts calling, because it's all over the news. Spouse is nervous. Everything's a mess.

It's like that one past love of your life you had plans spending eternity with tells you she just wants to be friends & still loves you but only like a brother.

You picket Day after Day in shifts. Bosses you knew as good guys are suddenly ISIS and they feel the same way about you.

Public gets wind of what UPS employees make and there's loud friend--- U's being rained down on you from chip drivers making half the money you make. Loyal customers that own their business shoot you the bird because they had critical documents or parts that are now stuck & backed up in the UPS system.

Finally you win, company agrees and you celebrate the victory. You come back to work and slowly you realize they're not going to honor jack s*! In fact, they are going to make it even harder on you and THEY DO!!! Boy do they. Just ask any long-tooth hourly who worked at UPS in the 80's thru 96 compared to today.

Company is very vindictive. They will never forget. It will haunt you the rest of your career.

Anyways, Happy Saturday! Enjoy your weekend. :-)

Hey bed wetter---I'll tell you what happened when I got the call about 10:30 at night that the 97 strike was on. I did a cart-wheel, grabbed a case of beer out of the refrigerator and headed to the UPS building to join all the rest of the guys where we spent the night sitting up our big Army tent across the street from the building and planning our strike strategy. Your idea of what would happen is garbage. I laughed at your line about how the company would never forget. From what I witnessed they wanted to forget about it the second it was over and get back to business as usual.

Karma...

Yes, summer vacation ! perfect timing !.The old timers talked about the 3 month strike in the mid 1970s.The company and teamsters are very different now...Public company with less and less management having stock which they can easily sell and have been.The Teamster pension plans are not in very good shape..Its an interesting situation.I think that the profits are made mostly overseas with the USA part breaking even...Like I said its very interesting.

Karma...

The composition and compensation of the management is also very different now with poor benefits and no defined pension...They can take their 401k with them along with the experience and be marketable. With the exception of feeder drivers who are truly exceptional professionals and can easily find jobs elsewhere what will the others do......What about the airline pilots standing in the strike lines ?

rod

Retired 22 years
Yes, summer vacation ! perfect timing !.The old timers talked about the 3 month strike in the mid 1970s.The company and teamsters are very different now...Public company with less and less management having stock which they can easily sell and have been.The Teamster pension plans are not in very good shape..Its an interesting situation.I think that the profits are made mostly overseas with the USA part breaking even...Like I said its very interesting.

There was NO 3 months strike in the 70's. It was a 2 week strike. UPS has NEVER had a 3 months strike and never would. About 3 weeks is as long as they dare let it go without caving in.

Daf

It's August, 1997. You get that call from your Steward that you are on strike. Your Center Manager also follows up with a call & verifies it's true & he'll be in contact. Of course you don't answer his call, you let your answering machine take it because you're sick to your guts on what it all means and what happens now. You start to wonder about your vacations in the fall, if you'll get those if it's really your last day at UPS. You think, If an agreement is reached will all my vacation be used as time off during the stoppage. You don't know... you think about the bills you have and if your nut snip in September needs rescheduled or canceled, same with your kids dental appointments. A wave of anxiety rushes over you. You think, where can I find another job pronto that pays as well with those kind of benefits. You start thinking about Al Bundy selling shoes on Married with Children. Family starts calling, because it's all over the news. Spouse is nervous. Everything's a mess.

It's like that one past love of your life you had plans spending eternity with tells you she just wants to be friends & still loves you but only like a brother.

You picket Day after Day in shifts. Bosses you knew as good guys are suddenly ISIS and they feel the same way about you.

Public gets wind of what UPS employees make and there's loud friend--- U's being rained down on you from chip drivers making half the money you make. Loyal customers that own their business shoot you the bird because they had critical documents or parts that are now stuck & backed up in the UPS system.

Finally you win, company agrees and you celebrate the victory. You come back to work and slowly you realize they're not going to honor jack s*! In fact, they are going to make it even harder on you and THEY DO!!! Boy do they. Just ask any long-tooth hourly who worked at UPS in the 80's thru 96 compared to today.

Company is very vindictive. They will never forget. It will haunt you the rest of your career.

Anyways, Happy Saturday! Enjoy your weekend. :-)
In 2008 we give the company concessions. In 2013 we give the company concessions. Guess what? They are still vindictive :censored2:s!! I will not forget. I will haunt them the rest of my career along with many others.

Karma...

There was NO 3 months strike in the 70's. It was a 2 week strike. UPS has NEVER had a 3 months strike and never would. About 3 weeks is as long as they dare let it go without caving in.
Strike went from mid September to mid December 1976..New England and parts of NY (?)......This will never happen again because all parties have too much at stake with the Teamsters have a disproportionate larger amount at risk plus Trump will never let a strike occur.