1997 UPS Work Stoppage

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
This will never happen again because all parties have too much at stake with the Teamsters have a disproportionate larger amount at risk plus Trump will never let a strike occur.
Teamsters have zilch at stake compared to the company! The entire management structure at UPS could jump on a car and still not deliver 10% of the volume!! Trump can kiss my hairy nut sack! We are not traffic controllers, that DB in the white house has absolutely dick to say about us private employees!!

What about the airline pilots standing in the strike lines ?
You need to put down the crack pipe. UPS pilots are the very highest qualified in the world! They can go to any company and get a job within 5 mins! Please think before opening your gash.

rod

Retired 22 years
There was a strike in 76 that affected 15 states. Lasted 8 weeks. Tentative Accord Reported in Strike At United Parcel

I went through that strike also. That one was easy peasy. All of UPS was on strike (We weren't quite nation wide then if I remember correct). During that one our Center Manager would come over and have a beer with us. He even ran an extention cord out to us so we could watch smut flicks on the side of a UPS trailer. One evening he told us that he hoped we would get EVERYTHING were asking for because that meant management would end up getting all that plus more. (I hear its not that way with management anymore:rolleyes:). 76 was a 2 week vacation.

rod

Retired 22 years
Strike went from mid September to mid December 1976..New England and parts of NY (?)......This will never happen again because all parties have too much at stake with the Teamsters have a disproportionate larger amount at risk plus Trump will never let a strike occur.

After racking my brain I kind of remember some kind of work stoppage out east that did last awhile. If the whole company isn't striking I really don't consider it a strike---just a localized work stoppage. Was this at the end of the nationwide strike and they were just holding out? I can't remember.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
After racking my brain I kind of remember some kind of work stoppage out east that did last awhile. If the whole company isn't striking I really don't consider it a strike---just a localized work stoppage. Was this at the end of the nationwide strike and they were just holding out? I can't remember.
In 94 the union called a strike over the company raising the weight limit from 75lb to 150lb but it wasn't widely observed and only lasted a day. Back in the 80's I think there was some kind of labor action in Philadelphia that didn't end well for the workers involved.

oldupsman

I went through that strike also. That one was easy peasy. All of UPS was on strike (We weren't quite nation wide then if I remember correct). During that one our Center Manager would come over and have a beer with us. He even ran an extention cord out to us so we could watch smut flicks on the side of a UPS trailer. One evening he told us that he hoped we would get EVERYTHING were asking for because that meant management would end up getting all that plus more. (I hear its not that way with management anymore:rolleyes:). 76 was a 2 week vacation.
In 94 the union called a strike over the company raising the weight limit from 75lb to 150lb but it wasn't widely observed and only lasted a day. Back in the 80's I think there was some kind of labor action in Philadelphia that didn't end well for the workers involved.

Rod you're usually so right on but wrong about this one. The 76 strike went from Sept. to just up
to 2 weeks before Christmas. Easy for me to remember because I started Oct of 75 and literally had 1 day
off the entire year before the strike of 76. I was thinking about leaving when the strike started. So I spent
3 months visiting friends across the country and blowing my bank account.

After the strike is when UPS started it's countrywide expansion.