1997 UPS Work Stoppage

Back first

It's August, 1997. You get that call from your Steward that you are on strike. Your Center Manager also follows up with a call & verifies it's true & he'll be in contact. Of course you don't answer his call, you let your answering machine take it because you're sick to your guts on what it all means and what happens now. You start to wonder about your vacations in the fall, if you'll get those if it's really your last day at UPS. You think, If an agreement is reached will all my vacation be used as time off during the stoppage. You don't know... you think about the bills you have and if your nut snip in September needs rescheduled or canceled, same with your kids dental appointments. A wave of anxiety rushes over you. You think, where can I find another job pronto that pays as well with those kind of benefits. You start thinking about Al Bundy selling shoes on Married with Children. Family starts calling, because it's all over the news. Spouse is nervous. Everything's a mess.

It's like that one past love of your life you had plans spending eternity with tells you she just wants to be friends & still loves you but only like a brother.

You picket Day after Day in shifts. Bosses you knew as good guys are suddenly ISIS and they feel the same way about you.

Public gets wind of what UPS employees make and there's loud friend--- U's being rained down on you from chip drivers making half the money you make. Loyal customers that own their business shoot you the bird because they had critical documents or parts that are now stuck & backed up in the UPS system.

Finally you win, company agrees and you celebrate the victory. You come back to work and slowly you realize they're not going to honor jack s*! In fact, they are going to make it even harder on you and THEY DO!!! Boy do they. Just ask any long-tooth hourly who worked at UPS in the 80's thru 96 compared to today.

Company is very vindictive. They will never forget. It will haunt you the rest of your career.

Anyways, Happy Saturday! Enjoy your weekend. :-)
This guy is such a dbag!

over9five

Staff member
It's August, 1997. You get that call from your Steward that you are on strike. Your Center Manager also follows up with a call & verifies it's true & he'll be in contact. Of course you don't answer his call, you let your answering machine take it because you're sick to your guts on what it all means and what happens now. You start to wonder about your vacations in the fall, if you'll get those if it's really your last day at UPS. You think, If an agreement is reached will all my vacation be used as time off during the stoppage. You don't know... you think about the bills you have and if your nut snip in September needs rescheduled or canceled, same with your kids dental appointments. A wave of anxiety rushes over you. You think, where can I find another job pronto that pays as well with those kind of benefits. You start thinking about Al Bundy selling shoes on Married with Children. Family starts calling, because it's all over the news. Spouse is nervous. Everything's a mess.

It's like that one past love of your life you had plans spending eternity with tells you she just wants to be friends & still loves you but only like a brother.

You picket Day after Day in shifts. Bosses you knew as good guys are suddenly ISIS and they feel the same way about you.

Public gets wind of what UPS employees make and there's loud friend--- U's being rained down on you from chip drivers making half the money you make. Loyal customers that own their business shoot you the bird because they had critical documents or parts that are now stuck & backed up in the UPS system.

Finally you win, company agrees and you celebrate the victory. You come back to work and slowly you realize they're not going to honor jack s*! In fact, they are going to make it even harder on you and THEY DO!!! Boy do they. Just ask any long-tooth hourly who worked at UPS in the 80's thru 96 compared to today.

Company is very vindictive. They will never forget. It will haunt you the rest of your career.

Geez ma'am, put the big girl panties on, will ya!

purehavanne

I’m pretty sure this is Dave Abbey himself.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
you think about the bills you have and if your nut snip in September needs rescheduled
This explains a lot, you have no balls my friend and somehow you think the rest of us want the same. So in your case was it a vasectomy or reassignment surgery, cause dudette, you and Chester are sure acting like the company's ______.

Spouse is nervous. Everything's a mess.
For those of us in great marriages the wife already knows as much as we all do at this point. Personally I think the increase in sex I am having lately is directly related to the "honey-do-list" she's making for me when I get a temporary break from being a UPS slave. That list is now more than 4 pages long!

You picket Day after Day in shifts. Bosses you knew as good guys are suddenly ISIS and they feel the same way about you
WHO IN THE HELL CARES? Dispatch can not ___ me any harder at this point, I am on the 9.5 list, we all are! As long as I don't lie, cheat or steal exactly how are they going to hurt me?

Chip drivers make well over $60K and are inside most the day. I was offered a "chip" route in the Dakotas for over $85K last fall! The public knows how hard we work. They see it every day and in the heat all I hear is, "OMG, I couldn't do your job!" Our support will be just as strong as the teachers got a few months ago! When we tell them the raises do not cover inflation and the company is trying to replace us with cheaper, less experienced drivers who will make their neighborhoods unsafe for kids the anger will ALL BE DIRECTED AT THE COMPANY!

Finally you win, company agrees and you celebrate the victory. You come back to work and slowly you realize they're not going to honor jack s*! In fact, they are going to make it even harder on you and THEY DO!!! Boy do they. Just ask any long-tooth hourly who worked at UPS in the 80's thru 96 compared to today. Company is very vindictive. They will never forget. It will haunt you the rest of your career.
I have talked to more than a few of them, they had a blast on the picket lines, those that were sober enough to remember being on the lines! If you do not know how to keep them from being, "hard on you," I pity you!

Fitbit App, you are a spineless, whinny little company bitch!

F

Frankie's Friend

Which were given to off the street hires under the 3 to 1 ratio. And with all the new job openings the company owed a lot of off the street spots.
The 3 for 1 hires were an option here that were not always used. If the co wanted to advance insiders instead they did and many off the street newbies didn't qualify.

PT Car Washer

The 3 for 1 hires were an option here that were not always used. If the co wanted to advance insiders instead they did and many off the street newbies didn't qualify.
At least in my building the company promoted PT sups or any one else as off the street hires just to punish PT for supporting the strike. The only Teamsters that crossed were Package car delivery drivers. Had to make their Corvette payment.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey

As usual, complete BS. Your memory is way off. We had nothing but support from both customers and public. If you were actually around then, which I doubt, you would have seen police, other truckers, firemen, etc. bringing supplies to picketers.

Just because your shrew of a wife had you pissing in your browns and didn't support you or the cause, doesn't mean that thousands of other spouses weren't behind their husband or wife.

Your little stories are pathetic and transparent. Nobody is buying your bull.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
It's real simple. If we strike, it won't be our fault. If you're not smart enough to prepare for the possibility of a strike when you join a union, you get everything that's coming to you. I'm with @HEFFERNAN, it doesn't matter if we get the perfect contract, I'm voting no regardless simply because of this jackwagon. He is beneath contempt. I mean, if lines of code could ever elicit such emotional response.

F

Frankie's Friend

At least in my building the company promoted PT sups or any one else as off the street hires just to punish PT for supporting the strike. The only Teamsters that crossed were Package car delivery drivers. Had to make their Corvette payment.
No one crossed in my building.

We got (4) 22.3 jobs. Three were filled with pt time employees and one driver took the last inside position. He was done with driving and had only a couple of years until he could retire.

KoennenTiger

No one crossed in my building.

We got (4) 22.3 jobs. Three were filled with pt time employees and one driver took the last inside position. He was done with driving and had only a couple of years until he could retire.

The office girls have been telling us not so old guys about that strike. And how the guys who did cross the line were then :censored2:ed with incessantly for months, including having their cars broken into and destroyed, to the point where all three of them quit.

Mostly though they keep trying to point out that if they cross the line it isn't because they don't support us, it's because they aren't a part of the union and they have to show up.

M

MenInBrown

Not worried about my customers. Everyone already knows we make good money. Just this past Thursday, hot as hell, making one of my last deliveries around 8pm, customer says “man they don’t ever give y’all a break do they?” I think customers are more worried about getting their stuff than what we make.

F

Frankie's Friend

The office girls have been telling us not so old guys about that strike. And how the guys who did cross the line were then :censored2:ed with incessantly for months, including having their cars broken into and destroyed, to the point where all three of them quit.

Mostly though they keep trying to point out that if they cross the line it isn't because they don't support us, it's because they aren't a part of the union and they have to show up.
I do not condone harassment or violence in any capacity. A building close to ours had 2 guys cross the line in 97. 1 had 7 kids and the other one had no spine.

The guy with a 7 kids got more respect than the one they had no spine when it was all said and done. But people never forgot and to this day It is remembered and talked about.

F

Frankie's Friend

What I find funny is that in this contract that everyone hails as the greatest ups contract Ron Carey started a two tier wage for full timers.
Thinking about this statement...hmm.
Do 22-2s make pkg car rate?

Why do feeders get a higher rate (I know why) if you're splitting hairs?

What do ft clerks make? Pkg car rate?

Were these negotiated by Carey?

Just sayin.

Thinking about this statement...hmm.
Do 22-2s make pkg car rate?

Why do feeders get a higher rate (I know why) if you're splitting hairs?

What do ft clerks make? Pkg car rate?

Were these negotiated by Carey?

Just sayin.
Good question, haven’t seen any worth more than like $26.