2% raises (2019) for 1-3 step progression folks... bend over, and simply take this

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
You think that when the government was considering letting Express unionize in 2010 that CEO's of other corporations weren't weighing in against it with their congressmen?
Unless they were buds of Fred’s, why would they care?

bacha29

What's all this talk about going union? Don't you remember? Just two weeks ago Dear Leader the "chosen one" the guy you all voted for told union members to stop paying their union dues.

You could always go over and work for a Ground contractor. You'll get paid a per diem of about $140 a day. Some a little more. Some a little less. All straight time No OT Next to nothing in the way of benefits 5 - 12's plus 10 on Saturday Dragging stolen freight around up to 150lbs but nobody pays any attention to weight and dimension limits any more. If the guy in the truck beside you dies in his sleep gets picked up for DUI or is in jail for beating up his old lady you'll do your work plus his after they take his load and dump it onto you. Of course you could always agree to do it pay per stop. That buck a stop is really good money. LOL.

So unfortunately you've found yourself caught up right in the middle of the race to the bottom of the cheap freight cheap rate market sector. And if your in that "final mile" terminal to house space companies see that space as a place where they can cut costs.

Tuesday X will announce it's Q1 operating results. Don't expect good results, good forward looking guidance and worst of all don't expect to find Fat Freddy in a good mood.

Cactus

Because shipping is a major expense for most companies.
It's the cost of doing business but remember that customers often absorb the costs.

If i was a business owner and there was talk of FedEx unionization, I'd be more inclined to find cheaper alternatives after I see what pans out rather than get on the phone and plead with my congressman.

fedx

Extra Large Package
The only time a union will come seriously knocking is as soon as we get the government to classify us as a trucking company, not an airline. That will drop us from the RLA and Freddys "government protection" will be gone, leaving the union to pounce.

So, until the RLA goes away.. we won't have a union.

Actually we could have a union right now even as an airline. The FedEx pilots are in a union. That same airline union could try to get all the Express employees to join it and they could add like 200K new members to it.

vantexan

Actually we could have a union right now even as an airline. The FedEx pilots are in a union. That same airline union could try to get all the Express employees to join it and they could add like 200K new members to it.
No, the pilots are a specific craft. Couriers could unionize, but it would take 50% of them to sign union cards before a vote can be forced under current rules. There's a reason the Teamsters gave up.

Last edited:

vantexan

It's the cost of doing business but remember that customers often absorb the costs.

If i was a business owner and there was talk of FedEx unionization, I'd be more inclined to find cheaper alternatives after I see what pans out rather than get on the phone and plead with my congressman.
CEO's have clout, especially in contributing to re-election campaigns. The Democrats support the little guy, right? The Dem representative in Memphis gave full support to the company in 2010. And you basically answered the question what happens if prices go up to pay for a much better paid workforce? Customers look for cheaper alternatives.

Cactus

It was a lot easier for all the pilots to get together (in Memphis) and vote on a union. For every courier across the country to meet up in one place is impossible, then you would need a 50% vote. That's what it would take under RLA rules. The pilots were smart. They had Smith figured out early in the game.

vantexan

It was a lot easier for all the pilots to get together (in Memphis) and vote on a union. For every courier across the country to meet up in one place is impossible, then you would need a 50% vote. That's what it would take under RLA rules. The pilots were smart. They had Smith figured out early in the game.
They don't need to meet in one place, just have a national vote. Those who don't vote in a national election are counted as no's.

Cactus

They don't need to meet in one place, just have a national vote. Those who don't vote in a national election are counted as no's.
That was just for comparisons sake.

It'd be a matter of trying to get every courier/CSA/handlers etc. across the USA on the same page.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
The pilots were unionized BEFORE they became FedEx pilots. The Flying Tigers were unionized when they were acquired, and part of the terms required that FedEx recognize their union in order to complete the acquisition.

BootsOnTarmac

If anyone is going to organize with the pilots union it would be the Express AMT's. However the Express AMT's have it pretty good compared to other airlines AMT's with all of the outsourcing the other airlines do.

fedx

Extra Large Package
No, the pilots are a specific craft. Couriers could unionize, but it would take 50% of them to sign union cards before a vote can be forced under current rules. There's a reason the Teamsters gave up.

Why couldn't Express employees unionize under the pilot's union? Yes, it's a pilot's union, but their union could take a vote to decide to include other airline employees besides pilots. I would think their union would want to add 200K new members to their roster. But I believe it's up to that pilot's union to decide if they want to include new criteria for membership.

vantexan

Why couldn't Express employees unionize under the pilot's union? Yes, it's a pilot's union, but their union could take a vote to decide to include other airline employees besides pilots. I would think their union would want to add 200K new members to their roster. But I believe it's up to that pilot's union to decide if they want to include new criteria for membership.
Think the pilots are going to strike for better courier pay?

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Yes, I guess it has been awhile since we dug up this union horse carcass and commenced to beating on it for the umpteenth time, hasn’t it?

Really folks, just quit wasting your energy.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Think the pilots are going to strike for better courier pay?

Well, they can have different groups within the union. So pilots don't have to strike on behalf of couriers. Just like UPS Freight has a different Teamsters contract than parcel has. So parcel doesn't have to strike when UPS freight has a problem. Couriers can be their own segment and have their own contract, but still be unionized for collective bargaining.

overflowed

Fred and his good ‘ol boys are good at making promises and avoiding responsibilities to both employees and customers. He’s got a library full of excuses every time the front line employees get screwed. He’ll be happy to pull another one straight out of his ass anytime.
Express has been like this for what at least 15 years now ? At least since I worked there, why is anyone surprised in the least? The new people on this forum that have worked not too long really you folks need to take off now, I'm not kidding at all. They lie constantly to you, and use their reputation from when they first started to keep this BS they pull on you up. If you are not topped out, I'm sorry you need to use their false reputation too leave now before other companies actually figure out how bad it is there...use this advice how you will .

slavingforfx

Express has been like this for what at least 15 years now ? At least since I worked there, why is anyone surprised in the least? The new people on this forum that have worked not too long really you folks need to take off now, I'm not kidding at all. They lie constantly to you, and use their reputation from when they first started to keep this BS they pull on you up. If you are not topped out, I'm sorry you need to use their false reputation too leave now before other companies actually figure out how bad it is there...use this advice how you will .
Trust me. I’m trying get out.