2020 Peak Over

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Many hubs are already cutting hours and sending people home (seasonal) early. Volume down, helpers told to stay home. You folks see what happens when you put a woman in charge of peak? Only the smoothest run peak in UPS history.
And she allowed drivers to look like dangerous felons!

worldwide

Worked out horribly but a lot has changed since then. Around here Amazon trucks are like fire hydrants.....there’s one on every street corner. Competition is not only a good thing but has the potential of leaving us with our pants down.
Both UPS and FedEx gave their largest shippers volume caps this year just as they have done in years past. The difference this year is that both carriers actually enforced the caps. The customer agreed to the limits so they can't act surprised that an agreement they signed and agreed to was actually enforced.

The alternative is not having any caps like the USPS and look where they are at:
USPS delays: 'Perfect storm' of high package volume, employees out with COVID slowing deliveries before Christmas - CNN

So what do you want - "packages up to the ceiling" and significant backlogs like USPS or record, but manageable, volume like UPS & FedEx?

opie

Both UPS and FedEx gave their largest shippers volume caps this year just as they have done in years past. The difference this year is that both carriers actually enforced the caps. The customer agreed to the limits so they can't act surprised that an agreement they signed and agreed to was actually enforced.

The alternative is not having any caps like the USPS and look where they are at:
USPS delays: 'Perfect storm' of high package volume, employees out with COVID slowing deliveries before Christmas - CNN

So what do you want - "packages up to the ceiling" and significant backlogs like USPS or record, but manageable, volume like UPS & FedEx?
Postal Service by law can not refuse any mail or packages.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!

While I agree that proper management of volume is necessary, the press on the subject was horrific for us. While you and I may understand the necessity and benefits from it, all the customer sees is that we aren’t picking up L L Bean so they better by them slippers from someone else.

Also around here the USPS is dead, it’s so bad their carriers are being offered jobs down in the L. A. area for the next week. All expenses paid vacation. Lol

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
If these covid checks get passed at $2000 per person then saddle up boys and girl because peak won't end until May. Those checks then tax returns. It was bad before but this could get apocalyptic. Hopefully they get these pvd drivers bigger vehicles because scabs can handle bulk as well.

rod

Retired 22 years
This was accomplished by hiring a bunch of scabs and refusing pick up volume.

We won’t know for some time how this really plays out.
Many hubs are already cutting hours and sending people home (seasonal) early. Volume down, helpers told to stay home. You folks see what happens when you put a woman in charge of peak? Only the smoothest run peak in UPS history.
I wonder if that was the reason on my trip from Mn. to Texas the last couple of days for every UPS and FedEx feeder on the road we saw 3 Amazon Big rigs.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I wonder if that was the reason on my trip from Mn. to Texas the last couple of days for every UPS and FedEx feeder on the road we saw 3 Amazon Big rigs.
Amazon has been moving stuff from their warehouses to our hubs for awhile now.