21:00 last delivery. What am I doing wrong?

vanbc

Rookie here on third week driving what I think is a P5.
Left warehouse at 0900.
Had maybe
80 stops max.
15 scheduled pickups.
10 or so ODS.
1 ODS that was out of my area by 1 block.
Driving at 20:00 smelling all the bbq's and seeing people "living" is giving me mixed feelings about this gig.
What am I doing wrong? Driving around at 9pm on a friday night (no I dont' drink or smoke or party) is not worth it "for me".
Is this what all drivers go through at first?
The business deliveries are fine and enjoyable. It's them damn apartments with NO BUZZER # on the package or name on the building directory, just OCCUPIED. I'm hunching that they are pushing my boundaries too by two or three blocks for the odd delivery.
Any pointers/suggestions are appreciated. I contacted my super via text message (cell) and we will talk on Monday.
Thanks Y'all.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Left warehouse at 0900.
Had maybe
80 stops max.
15 scheduled pickups.
10 or so ODS.
Driving at 20:00 smelling all the bbq's and seeing people "living" is giving me mixed feelings about this gig.
What am I doing wrong? Driving around at 9pm on a friday night (no I dont' drink or smoke or party) is not worth it "for me".
The business deliveries are fine and enjoyable. It's them damn apartments with NO BUZZER # on the package or name on the building directory, just OCCUPIED. I'm hunching that they are pushing my boundaries too by two or three blocks for the odd delivery.
Any pointers/suggestions are appreciated. I contacted my super via text message (cell) and we will talk on Monday.
Thanks Y'all.
Yes,that's the way it is.Some days are worse than others,some days better.

rod

Retired 22 years
I hate to burst your bubble but you signed on at the wrong company if you expect to get done at a decent hour(anyday). It seems that fridays are especially bad as that's when most take a day off for a personal holiday or even to call in sick. UPS likes having all their drivers run heavy on fridays. They can get their drivers to skip breaks and run extra hard on that day because most everyone has family waiting for them at home so they can start their weekend plans. :angry:

mikestrek

Left warehouse at 0900.
Had maybe
80 stops max.
15 scheduled pickups.
10 or so ODS.
Thanks Y'all.
VANBC, I hate to tell you this but I've been with the company now 24 years and I've been out that late from day one. I just clocked off last night (friday) at 8:30 pm. If I have a great day I'll be off by 7:00 pm. I'm not joking and the way the company is pushing even harder to keep the stock holders happy, Were Probably going to be out even later in the future, Reason being is the Company doesn't want to hire and pay new employees. I would just suggest to hang in there or if your still young go to college.
Good Luck.

satellitedriver

I punched out at 9:15pm Friday.
The earliest I punched out this week was 8:30pm.
I average 50hrs a week, after 22yrs.
Decide now, if you want the money or the time off.
Life is full of choices and I hope to best for you.

diesel96

Don't feel bad I start a 21:00 hrs......
Vanbc...just keep plugging away, you'll get faster and before you know it you'll be on automatic pilot and learn some short cuts. In the meantime, stimulate the economy with all that overtime......

Leftinbuilding

95 stops (including pickups) in 10.5 hours??? (allowing 1.5 hrs for lunch/breaks) That is 9 stops per hour. What kind of miles do you drive? Your description sounds like a typical "in-town" route. If so, I believe you will have a meeting with your supe even if you don't want one. :wink2: This job is not for everyone.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
80 stops? I have that off at 1 PM. It sounds to me you are on a rural route. You will get better as you learn the area and get to know the shortcuts. You will also get "smoother" working "The Methods". If you think that you will be in home in your driveway by 6 PM, than Package Car is not the job for you. Like Satellite Driver posted, "Life is full of Choices". In the life of a Package Driver, this means "Do I want to clear $1100 a week, or do I want an easier job". Its all up to you.

old levi's

blank space

You can never make (after work) plans when you work at ups. Ever. Thats just the way it is. Accept it or get out now.

PAS'd out

This ain't rocket science
First of all we do not work in warehouses (look up definition).

I have worked in large metro areas (4 miles on area) as well as runs that do 220 miles total. This is a BS post. You do not go out on a run with 80 stops and 15 scheduled pickups, get 10 On-Calls, and describe your delivery area in blocks with apartment buildings.

I believe you are lying and wasting our time. If you are telling the truth, you have no business working at UPS.

Last edited:

helenofcalifornia

I sure hope you are driving about 150 miles at least. You should have had some supervisors driving with you by now if those numbers are accurate. They will tell you in no time exactly what you are doing wrong. Other than that, I would LOVE to have your route. Why are you wasting times with apartments with no names. NBA is your best friend.

If it makes you feel better i was out until 10.30 pm on christmas eve one year, came a huge snow storm day before, but you can bet management was at home that evening, they just had the part time sups working that night, one year i had 60 hours friday at noon, got to start weekend early......... Hang in there

brownrodster

I was out until 8:30 this last christmas eve. I had finished 175 stops on my route by 4:30. Then I went and helped a guy on a very rural route and did about 25 stops in the next 4 hours.

diesel96

what time do you usually get done when you start at 9pm D? and do you ever get used to staying awake all night?

On this run, I was clocking out approx 730-800am.....being that volume is down approx 600-630am.....dispatch is cutting routes and overtime.
Long routes are harder to stay awake than the local runs....usally try to take a power nap during lunch on the long runs......coffee and red bulls help also...it also helps to have quiet neighbors and dark blinds when you get home to sleep.

Overpaid Union Thug

Don't be discouraged by all of the responses so far. Not every center has their drivers working late every day. Yes, many are but don't think its the norm. In my center most of our drivers are in between 6:00-6:30. Yes, there are late days. Usually right before or after a holiday. This past week was rough. Many of us clocked out between 7:00-8:00 several times but that usually happens after Memorial Day. You'll have early days too. There is something like 250 or so working days (anyone that knows the correct number feel free to correct me) in a year and you are bound to have plenty of good days in there. You'll clock out at 5:50 one day and then at 7:20 a few days later. Then down to 6:15 another day. Each week is a series of ups and downs. It's the same way through out the year too.