Wrongfully terminated, what do I do?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My doctor first then my steward agreed I should go into quarentine. I let them know immediately. Then updated them every step of the way. Letting them know 2 weeks in advance I would be going into quarentine. I also communicated the same thing to HR. I did call but it went to voicemail, the following day my manager (not the operations manager) called me back. I called immediately after reading the notice. I was told there would be an email sent to me and that I could attach my doctors letter and COVID pay to a reply email. Never got squat back. So I went to HR and got both my managers emails and operations manager. Never got back to me again. And then I show up to work... Apparently discharged

You gave two weeks notice of a two week quarantine?

Asher513

You can’t just self quarantine and expect to keep your job. You need to be told to quarantine by a medical professional or by UPS.

And, if you are told to quarantine by a medical professional, you need to inform the Company. From that letter you said you received, it sounds like the Company had no idea you were told to quarantine.
Again, I sent it to my manager and the operations manager. As well as updating them through the entire thing.

Asher513

Your union rep... Haha!

If you get your job back you should go around and thank the actual paying members.

I am so glad I don't live in a right to freeload state.
Who said I wasn't?
And you didn’t think to at least call someone?

3 days no call/no show is you quitting your job and allows UPS to terminate your employment and all your benefits.

Hopefully, your BA can fix this “misunderstanding.”
I called immediately after opening the letter, cursing as I did because the thing came into my mailbox on day 3. It wasn't even sent out until the day after it was written

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I kept him updated as the process went along. I wasn't just going to abandon ship, I wanted to at least give a weeks warning. I would be gone for 2 weeks, its not something you just throw onto your boss and run.

That's not how quarantine works. Your Doctor didn't tell you to wait two weeks quarantine yourself. Or are you saying you actually kept working while you were supposed to be quarantined? If that's the case you probably should be fired.

Asher513

Was your phone also on quarantine?
In the hearing they asked for me to bring my call logs. I didn't
She said she was in the union
I am in the union. Also how am I being a scab? I'm genuinely confused. All I did was quarentine myself because my partner has a heart condition and I come home with black hands.... And I got fired for it.

Seriously am I missing something? Y'all are just rude and completely unhelpful.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Seriously? Just... Just stop.

I'm sorry, what is your problem with what I wrote? If your doctor told you to quarantine, but you kept working, it stands to reason that you were putting your co-workers at risk, and you should have been fired. If that's not what happened, then you have no need to take offense, because it doesn't apply to you. You know the old saying, "if the shoe fits."

First you tell us you got a doctor's order to quarantine, then you tell us you gave two week's notice before you quarantined, then you tell us you self-quarantined because of your partner's heart condition. How are we supposed to give you any meaningful help if you don't give us the whole story up front?

Here's a thought: when you submit the paperwork for quarantine pay, you might be expected to quarantine immediately. The fact that you kept working probably screwed everything up, and may hurt your chances for reinstatement. Quarantine isn't meant to be for when you feel like it, it is meant to prevent the spread of disease.

rod

Retired 22 years
In the hearing they asked for me to bring my call logs. I didn't

I am in the union. Also how am I being a scab? I'm genuinely confused. All I did was quarentine myself because my partner has a heart condition and I come home with black hands.... And I got fired for it.

You are NOT a scab if you are in the Union. Good luck with your problem.