Wrongfully terminated, what do I do?

Asher513

To make an unnecessarily long story short, I was terminated for going into quarentine. I followed procedure, did all my homework.
I got a letter telling me to update my employment status within 72 hours or further disciplinary action would be taken 3 days after my quarentine started on May 5th.

I didn't break a cardinal sin. There was never any disciplinary action taken against me. No verbal warning, no written warning, nothing.
The only disciplinary action I received was the singular letter I received that was written the day I was to begin quarentine.

I called back into work a few days ago when my quarentine ended and when I arrived I was told I had been "cancelled". I asked why and to speak with operations manager. My boss called him and the reason was "I don't want that girl anymore because of absences". It was also spoken that if I was union this wouldn't happen, but im not.

I am!

I went in the next day and spoke to my steward who is filing a grievance.

To get to the point. No one told me what the hell to do next. And I think I may have accidentally :censored2:ed myself over because I haven't gone into work the last two days assuming I would be sent home. I then hopped on here frantic that that decision was wrong and read about a working termination. What if i was already terminated? Was I supposed to be going into work?

I'm a relatively new employee, i have seniority, but dont know what the hell is going on.

ResetSouthBelt

Your Steward did the right thing by filing a grievance...Just wait for your steward to follow up with you....JMO but I’d also call corporate and file a complaint

upschuck

Did you tell them you were in quarantine before any disciplinary action was taken?

3 No call/no shows and it is job abandonment.

Justaloader

If you followed procedure and did your homework, why did you receive a letter requesting you to update your employment status? Wouldn't they have known why you weren't coming into work?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I was terminated for going into quarentine. I followed procedure, did all my homework.

You can’t just self quarantine and expect to keep your job. You need to be told to quarantine by a medical professional or by UPS.

And, if you are told to quarantine by a medical professional, you need to inform the Company. From that letter you said you received, it sounds like the Company had no idea you were told to quarantine.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I got a letter telling me to update my employment status within 72 hours or further disciplinary action would be taken 3 days after my quarentine started on May 5th.

And you didn’t think to at least call someone?

I didn't break a cardinal sin. There was never any disciplinary action taken against me. No verbal warning, no written warning, nothing.

3 days no call/no show is you quitting your job and allows UPS to terminate your employment and all your benefits.

Hopefully, your BA can fix this “misunderstanding.”

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
you obviously did not get your medical information over to them about being quarantined, so they obvisously fired you for it

542thruNthru

To make an unnecessarily long story short, I was terminated for going into quarentine. I followed procedure, did all my homework.

The only disciplinary action I received was the singular letter I received that was written the day I was to begin quarentine.

I called back into work a few days ago when my quarentine ended and when I arrived I was told I had been "cancelled". I asked why and to speak with operations manager. My boss called him and the reason was "I don't want that girl anymore because of absences". It was also spoken that if I was union this wouldn't happen, but im not.

I am!

I went in the next day and spoke to my steward who is filing a grievance.

To get to the point. No one told me what the hell to do next. And I think I may have accidentally :censored2:ed myself over because I haven't gone into work the last two days assuming I would be sent home. I then hopped on here frantic that that decision was wrong and read about a working termination. What if i was already terminated? Was I supposed to be going into work?

I'm a relatively new employee, i have seniority, but dont know what the hell is going on.

Who told you to quarantine? Did you communicate this with UPS? Why did you not call UPS when you received the 72 hour notice?

Asher513

My doctor first then my steward agreed I should go into quarentine. I let them know immediately. Then updated them every step of the way. Letting them know 2 weeks in advance I would be going into quarentine. I also communicated the same thing to HR. I did call but it went to voicemail, the following day my manager (not the operations manager) called me back. I called immediately after reading the notice. I was told there would be an email sent to me and that I could attach my doctors letter and COVID pay to a reply email. Never got squat back. So I went to HR and got both my managers emails and operations manager. Never got back to me again. And then I show up to work... Apparently discharged

Asher513

If you followed procedure and did your homework, why did you receive a letter requesting you to update your employment status? Wouldn't they have known why you weren't coming into work?
Yup! That's the issue. My local representative got back to a call I made to him and has requested i i reinstated and set up a local level hearing for this Monday.

542thruNthru

My doctor first then my steward agreed I should go into quarentine. I let them know immediately. Then updated them every step of the way. Letting them know 2 weeks in advance I would be going into quarentine. I also communicated the same thing to HR. I did call but it went to voicemail, the following day my manager (not the operations manager) called me back. I called immediately after reading the notice. I was told there would be an email sent to me and that I could attach my doctors letter and COVID pay to a reply email. Never got squat back. So I went to HR and got both my managers emails and operations manager. Never got back to me again. And then I show up to work... Apparently discharged

So you have email proof that you were told to quarantine by a doctor. Did you save those emails that you sent to everyone?

Asher513

you obviously did not get your medical information over to them about being quarantined, so they obvisously fired you for it
Sent them the letter from my primary as well as my COVID pay case ID and approval. They don't actually need the paperwork. The letter was sent before paperwork was requested, so I sent it, after jumping through hoops to get their contact info. And no one got back to me. So obviously, they didn't.

Asher513

Your Steward did the right thing by filing a grievance...Just wait for your steward to follow up with you....JMO but I’d also call corporate and file a complaint
My union rep called me back and has filed a grievance himself, requested I be reinstated starting next shift, and I will be having a local level hearing Monday.

Jkloc420

Sent them the letter from my primary as well as my COVID pay case ID and approval. They don't actually need the paperwork. The letter was sent before paperwork was requested, so I sent it, after jumping through hoops to get their contact info. And no one got back to me. So obviously, they didn't.
will there you go, they did not get your paperwork and nobody verified they did, all you had to do was get it to your boss

Jkloc420

and yes they need the paperwork, if your going to be gone for two weeks you think they dont need paperwork saying why

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
My union rep called me back and has filed a grievance himself, requested I be reinstated starting next shift, and I will be having a local level hearing Monday.

Your union rep... Haha!

If you get your job back you should go around and thank the actual paying members.

I am so glad I don't live in a right to freeload state.