Wrongfully terminated, what do I do?

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Who said I wasn't?

I called immediately after opening the letter, cursing as I did because the thing came into my mailbox on day 3. It wasn't even sent out until the day after it was written

I misread your first post. Good luck in getting your job back

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
She never talked to anyone from management.

She says she did, I think...

I did call but it went to voicemail, the following day my manager (not the operations manager) called me back.

Again, I sent it to my manager and the operations manager. As well as updating them through the entire thing.

I called immediately after opening the letter, cursing as I did because the thing came into my mailbox on day 3

UPSER1987

My doctor first then my steward agreed I should go into quarentine. I let them know immediately. Then updated them every step of the way. Letting them know 2 weeks in advance I would be going into quarentine. I also communicated the same thing to HR. I did call but it went to voicemail, the following day my manager (not the operations manager) called me back. I called immediately after reading the notice. I was told there would be an email sent to me and that I could attach my doctors letter and COVID pay to a reply email. Never got squat back. So I went to HR and got both my managers emails and operations manager. Never got back to me again. And then I show up to work... Apparently discharged

Your steward is also a doctor? Convenient.

UPSER1987

I'm sorry, what is your problem with what I wrote? If your doctor told you to quarantine, but you kept working, it stands to reason that you were putting your co-workers at risk, and you should have been fired. If that's not what happened, then you have no need to take offense, because it doesn't apply to you. You know the old saying, "if the shoe fits."

First you tell us you got a doctor's order to quarantine, then you tell us you gave two week's notice before you quarantined, then you tell us you self-quarantined because of your partner's heart condition. How are we supposed to give you any meaningful help if you don't give us the whole story up front?

Here's a thought: when you submit the paperwork for quarantine pay, you might be expected to quarantine immediately. The fact that you kept working probably screwed everything up, and may hurt your chances for reinstatement. Quarantine isn't meant to be for when you feel like it, it is meant to prevent the spread of disease.

The OP just sounds young and dumb...or just dumb.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The OP just sounds young and dumb...or just dumb.

The waiting two weeks to quarantine, the reason for the quarantine and going back to work even though the risk to her partner hasn't changed are red flags to me. Even if she wasn't trying to game the system, it kinda looks like that from an uninterested point of view.

542thruNthru

The waiting two weeks to quarantine, the reason for the quarantine and going back to work even though the risk to her partner hasn't changed are red flags to me. Even if she wasn't trying to game the system, it kinda looks like that from an uninterested point of view.

I'm assuming that the op has a underlying condition and quarentined because of that. So the op gave two week notice.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I'm assuming that the op has a underlying condition and quarentined because of that. So the op gave two week notice.

Nope, she said it was because of her partner's heart condition.
All I did was quarentine myself because my partner has a heart condition and I come home with black hands.... And I got fired for it.

Again, if a person has a real reason to quarantine, why wait two weeks, and why go back to work before the risk is more or less eliminated? It defeats the original purpose of the quarantine. It's like saying you care just enough about your partner's health to use up the extra quarantine pay, but not enough to quarantine long enough to ensure your partner's safety. Kinda fishy to me, and I hope I'm wrong.

542thruNthru

Nope, she said it was because of her partner's heart condition.

Again, if a person has a real reason to quarantine, why wait two weeks, and why go back to work before the risk is more or less eliminated? It defeats the original purpose of the quarantine. It's like saying you care just enough about your partner's health to use up the extra quarantine pay, but not enough to quarantine long enough to ensure your partner's safety. Kinda fishy to me, and I hope I'm wrong.

Yeah missed that one lol.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Let me put myself in this situation.
I see a doctor and he tells me I should self quarantine for 2 weeks. Ok I immediately notify my job and tell them hey I’ve been given orders by my primary care or whoever to self quarantine for possible exposure. I get proof of doctors orders and save it, fax or email it to work(with getting confirmation from whoever I speak to for the fax or email information). And after that keep my local hr and steward up to date with any condition over the phone or through email.

This process is literally what I did last summer when I had surgery on my hand and was out of work for 2.5 months. I literally called my hr woman (who hired me months before) 2 times a week to make sure things were good and to complete any paperwork to make sure my job was secure.

Sounds pretty common sense on what should be done. Don’t go to work and then notify your management you’re going to self quarantine a week after the doctor told you to. That will just get you in a deep hole.

Like seriously communication means everything you can’t just expect anything when nothing is said immediately.

Asher513

Genuinely not trying to cheat the system. As one user said I'm young and naive (not dumb). I don't even know the system and thats why I am confused as hell.
Basically I have no idea what I'm doing (shocker) had no idea how to start this whole quarantine thing, and have no idea how to close it out. Last time I checked COVID was a new thing and I've never had to quarantine and don't know my job well enough yet to know the protocol in a normal situation.
I am absolutely realizing the mistakes I made, but most were just timing? I also don't understand how one can cheat the system? Anyways, I didn't know if there would be discipline if I didn't give advanced warning, or got approved for the pay, or whatever. (Again naive) i though that the covid pay was akin to approval from UPS saying yes you can go do that. I'm just trying to unstick myself from a situation that I somehow stuck myself into by doing the right thing (or the wrong thing according to some)

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Genuinely not trying to cheat the system. As one user said I'm young and naive (not dumb). I don't even know the system and thats why I am confused as hell.
Basically I have no idea what I'm doing (shocker) had no idea how to start this whole quarantine thing, and have no idea how to close it out. Last time I checked COVID was a new thing and I've never had to quarantine and don't know my job well enough yet to know the protocol in a normal situation.
I am absolutely realizing the mistakes I made, but most were just timing? I also don't understand how one can cheat the system? Anyways, I didn't know if there would be discipline if I didn't give advanced warning, or got approved for the pay, or whatever. (Again naive) i though that the covid pay was akin to approval from UPS saying yes you can go do that. I'm just trying to unstick myself from a situation that I somehow stuck myself into by doing the right thing (or the wrong thing according to some)

Please don't take any of what I wrote personally. I think all of us are trying to make sense of your situation, and offer help based on that. If you took action in good faith, and considering that we find ourselves in unusual circumstances, you will probably make it through ok. Listen to your BA (union rep), present all the information you have to support your case, and admit to any mistakes or misunderstandings honestly.

DRporch

I’m at a loss for words. Who in their right mind plans a quarantine. I’m 100% on the managers side. You don’t get to choose when to quarantine. Don’t try and pull a fast one for a free 2 week vacation. Clearly you aren’t the sharpest one in the tool box or a few days before you woulda said you had some symptoms of covid

DRporch

That covid pay is to help people who came in contact with people with covid. Not for someone who decided to take a vacation and told their manager in 2 weeks I’m being quarantined

Indecisi0n

How young ?

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I broke my foot, went to doctors, same day i call my manger and said i broke my foot i will get the doctors excuse to you asap, that is usually how it works