Wrongfully terminated, what do I do?

D

Deleted member 77202

If you followed procedure and did your homework, why did you receive a letter requesting you to update your employment status? Wouldn't they have known why you weren't coming into work?
That's what I was thinking.

If you called your Supervisor to let them know you were sick and not just plain old sick, but that you had symptoms of the virus, I guarantee that you wouldn't have received any letter or disciplinary action of any kind.

With all the publicity this virus is receiving, I highly doubt that any employer would deny their employees time to get well.

Isn't it the law to stay home if you have symptoms?

You aren't telling this forum the whole story.
:sick:

D

Deleted member 77202

My doctor first then my steward agreed I should go into quarentine. I let them know immediately. Then updated them every step of the way. Letting them know 2 weeks in advance I would be going into quarentine. I also communicated the same thing to HR. I did call but it went to voicemail, the following day my manager (not the operations manager) called me back. I called immediately after reading the notice. I was told there would be an email sent to me and that I could attach my doctors letter and COVID pay to a reply email. Never got squat back. So I went to HR and got both my managers emails and operations manager. Never got back to me again. And then I show up to work... Apparently discharged
First of all, you can't send an email for something as serious as this virus. Some people check their email once a week or less.

Second, you should have called and texted and called and texted a Part-time Supervisor (if you're fairly new, this is the person you probably have had contact with the most during your shift), not some human resources person in some far away office that you've only met once and probably doesn't even remember who you are. Common sense.

Finally, you should have called and texted and called and texted until someone got back to you.

Asher513

First of all, you can't send an email for something as serious as this virus. Some people check their email once a week or less.

Second, you should have called and texted and called and texted a Part-time Supervisor (if you're fairly new, this is the person you probably have had contact with the most during your shift), not some human resources person in some far away office that you've only met once and probably doesn't even remember who you are. Common sense.

Finally, you should have called and texted and called and texted until someone got back to you.
The human resource office is directly across from my work and they do know me. And I was told to email them. Regardless, everything's been delt with and I'm back to work. I have since gotten my supervisors numbers thankfully. Thank you!

Asher513

How TF do you know of a quarantine 2 weeks in advance? Something isn’t adding up.
My partner has a heart condition calleds tachycardia and we were discussing a possible quarantine because of the risk. Not knowing how this mew thing worked we agreed on giving advanced notice just in case and in the following weeks use extra precaution.

Asher513

That covid pay is to help people who came in contact with people with covid. Not for someone who decided to take a vacation and told their manager in 2 weeks I’m being quarantined
Just replied to something similar. My partner has supraventricular tachycardia. I didn't want to go into quarentine but it was necessary in case I was asymptomatic. We have had 30 cases in our building since march.

Asher513

Please don't take any of what I wrote personally. I think all of us are trying to make sense of your situation, and offer help based on that. If you took action in good faith, and considering that we find ourselves in unusual circumstances, you will probably make it through ok. Listen to your BA (union rep), present all the information you have to support your case, and admit to any mistakes or misunderstandings honestly.
Thank you for saying that. I got in contact with my BA and everything has been sorted out. I just didn't know how to handle the situation because it's brand new and has hit us all unexpectedly. I've never lived through a pandemic and nothing was ever explained on how to handle something like this. So I'm really glad I was able to use the time to get tested and disinfect my apartment.

11.19igrad

I'm sorry, what is your problem with what I wrote? If your doctor told you to quarantine, but you kept working, it stands to reason that you were putting your co-workers at risk, and you should have been fired. If that's not what happened, then you have no need to take offense, because it doesn't apply to you. You know the old saying, "if the shoe fits."

First you tell us you got a doctor's order to quarantine, then you tell us you gave two week's notice before you quarantined, then you tell us you self-quarantined because of your partner's heart condition. How are we supposed to give you any meaningful help if you don't give us the whole story up front?

Here's a thought: when you submit the paperwork for quarantine pay, you might be expected to quarantine immediately. The fact that you kept working probably screwed everything up, and may hurt your chances for reinstatement. Quarantine isn't meant to be for when you feel like it, it is meant to prevent the spread of disease.

Oh. Ohh. Ooohhhh.
:censored2:. Hope someone can help her.

M

MenInBrown

You can’t just self quarantine and expect to keep your job. You need to be told to quarantine by a medical professional or by UPS.

And, if you are told to quarantine by a medical professional, you need to inform the Company. From that letter you said you received, it sounds like the Company had no idea you were told to quarantine.

we had a guy at our center do that, and he’s still working. He got 2 weeks off not paid.

M

MenInBrown

And I'm sure there's more than one in the country that did this and didn't lose their job. But like I said, you can't do it and expect to keep your job.
I found out our guy used fmla. So if you want to self quarantine you must go through fmla.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I found out our guy used fmla. So if you want to self quarantine you must go through fmla.
20200527_235127.jpg

Sounds like a lot of confusion since March.
If the same contracted company is handling this communication as handles other STD issues, fmla, and unpaid time off I will say "Good luck".

They may even handle the processing of our paychecks by the way they're often screwed up.:furious:

M

MenInBrown

Do you have to test positive? Heard one person got tested and the health department told him he could not return to work until test results came back. Isn’t that the same as being quarantined?