22.4 positions

bowhnterdon

Who.... is forcing anyone.... to bid a 22.4 job ?
The IBT. That is if you want to make UPS a career. It is easy to say no one is forcing you. What if we were looking at a pay cut,no one is forcing you to accept it. You have every right to quit. Fact is,RPCD are on the way out. Maybe in 10 years,maybe 15, or longer,but the toothpaste is out of the tube,it ain’t going back in. Feeders? Yeah,a lower wage is coming eventually

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The IBT. That is if you want to make UPS a career.

I understand that line of thinking, I just don't agree with it.

You know what I want to say next.... ;)

Fact is,RPCD are on the way out. Maybe in 10 years,maybe 15, or longer,but the toothpaste is out of the tube,it ain’t going back in.

I just don't see that happening, since they are guaranteed jobs.

Who knows what will happen down the road. But, I don't see anyone elected

to the IBT agreeing to that.... as it would be a loss of the higher dues rate.

Undertow

I'm betting it will be a good 5 years or so for you to move up. Ups has no incentive to hurry up. They're getting drivers for cheap. I'm fact, with a recession looming and Amazon getting bigger, I won't be surprised if you would be a 22.4 even longer.
If He's lucky, perhaps a substantial chunk of short-timers in the RPCD ranks begin retiring but that's about the only way a spot can open up. I think You could be right in that anyone who accepts that 22.4 position is simply at the mercy of so many more variables. They could very well not know on a day-to-day basis just what work they will be doing or when they will be scheduled to start or eventually finish. That day-in-day out grind could go on literally for years on end.

They want to hire dozens where I'm at and so far they have found only one to bite. The part-timers all saw the continuous beatdown the RPCD's took before, during. and after the 2017 peak mess and don't want the same work with more hours, unpredictable schedules, and less money. Maybe the company believes a recession will result in enough employees rolling the dice out of fear, but I'm not sure it's a desirable position even in that circumstance.

Package Stick

"Send it."
If He's lucky, perhaps a substantial chunk of short-timers in the RPCD ranks begin retiring but that's about the only way a spot can open up. I think You could be right in that anyone who accepts that 22.4 position is simply at the mercy of so many more variables. They could very well not know on a day-to-day basis just what work they will be doing or when they will be scheduled to start or eventually finish. That day-in-day out grind could go on literally for years on end.

They want to hire dozens where I'm at and so far they have found only one to bite. The part-timers all saw the continuous beatdown the RPCD's took before, during. and after the 2017 peak mess and don't want the same work with more hours, unpredictable schedules, and less money. Maybe the company believes a recession will result in enough employees rolling the dice out of fear, but I'm not sure it's a desirable position even in that circumstance.
I'm going to be a 22.4 then enlist in the military right after I hit my seniority. Gonna make em pay for someone who isn't there.

Mo19072

I used to think it was so dumb to take holiday weeks but they’ve become a disaster that every day is heavy as hell. Don’t blame you
It was heavy in my center but they added more cars. Everyone had the normal number of stops. I even got less OT this week than I did the recent ones.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I understand that line of thinking, I just don't agree with it.

You know what I want to say next.... ;)

I just don't see that happening, since they are guaranteed jobs.

Who knows what will happen down the road. But, I don't see anyone elected

to the IBT agreeing to that.... as it would be a loss of the higher dues rate.
Right- they would never go ahead and raise the dues. Like the amazing strike fund increase... lol.

A few 20 year plus part timers who just went driving were classified as 22.4. They are not paying them their higher PT wage, even though it dose states in the contract they are to be pay the higher wage. When they asked the local business agent he said its "complicated" what ever that means. They are filling grievances and going back PT so they will not be locked in after 30 days of driving. They are now pulling the same thing on inside workers who are doing driver helper right now. They are paying them 22.4 wage instead the off season helper wage. It's sad when the local can not give you a straight answer.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
A few 20 year plus part timers who just went driving were classified as 22.4. They are not paying them their higher PT wage, even though it dose states in the contract they are to be pay the higher wage. When they asked the local business agent he said its "complicated" what ever that means. They are filling grievances and going back PT so they will not be locked in after 30 days of driving. They are now pulling the same thing on inside workers who are doing driver helper right now. They are paying them 22.4 wage instead the off season helper wage. It's sad when the local can not give you a straight answer.
I am assuming it is the same idea as Art 40 combos. When you drive you make progression rate, inside is PT 20 year rate

Johnny123456789

Our first 22.4 employee drove for 64 hours in one week. Lol!

We also have a 25 year part timer that went 22.4 that got injured for the first time in his career.

It's a mess.