24/7 operations

Whither

Scofflaw
They forget what it took to get us here!
Not to mention that the cost of living in LA chews up 175k of wages + bennies pretty quickly. A couple years ago my wife was running some figures through a COLA comparison tool. Top wages in her IBEW local then were ~$39/hr. I remember the Bay Area it would've taken over $100/hr to match that living standard; I'm sure LA wasn't, and isn't, far behind.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Not to mention that the cost of living in LA chews up 175k of wages + bennies pretty quickly. A couple years ago my wife was running some figures through a COLA comparison tool. Top wages in her IBEW local then were ~$39/hr. I remember the Bay Area it would've taken over $100/hr to match that living standard; I'm sure LA wasn't, and isn't, far behind.
My son lives i Cali. He makes great money. Still it’s almost impossible to buy a house! People outside CA have no idea about the cost of living. 175k a year? When the average house is 500- 700k? Come on now.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
175k is what the foreman and crane operators are making,I would say regular longshore are making 110 to 140k (140K If they work everyday of the year)
My son lives i Cali. He makes great money. Still it’s almost impossible to buy a house! People outside CA have no idea about the cost of living. 175k a year? When the average house is 500- 700k? Come on now.
500 to 700k is for a house in the ghetto

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

Well-deserved, I'd say. @Sissy Brown Short Shorts is talking like a company man in that post
It’s no mystery that unions eventually suck companies dry. Why do you think they’ve all but vanished in the private sector? The public sector unions are far worse, have you seen the state of our public schools lately? You can’t fire anyone. There is a road crew rebuilding sidewalks in my neighborhood all they’re doing is fixing the corner parts at intersections, 4 guys at the same corner working there for a month. The Chinese would have the whole neighborhood done in a day, they build skyscrapers in a couple weeks. It took 15 years to build the new World Trade Center. 2-3 days to unload a cargo ship in China takes up to 9 here. You can’t compete with that. There is a happy medium of course, but paying a guy 175k a year to move cargo containers is ridiculous. If you’re spending all your income funding pensions and paying wages and having the lowest productivity in the world these companies won’t be able to reinvest into new equipment, buildings or technology. When the postal service hires someone they have to fully fund that persons retirement and they can’t touch it, multiply that by half a million people. Combine that with a self entitled generation of wussies that refuse to get their hands dirty is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

175k is what the foreman and crane operators are making,I would say regular longshore are making 110 to 140k (140K If they work everyday of the year)

500 to 700k is for a house in the ghetto
The cost of housing in California is sky high because of complete government malfeasance and burdensome regulations. Why should wages have to go up because politicians in California ran their state into the ground. You don’t have to stay.

Whither

Scofflaw
It’s no mystery that unions eventually suck companies dry. Why do you think they’ve all but vanished in the private sector? The public sector unions are far worse, have you seen the state of our public schools lately? You can’t fire anyone. There is a road crew rebuilding sidewalks in my neighborhood all they’re doing is fixing the corner parts at intersections, 4 guys at the same corner working there for a month. The Chinese would have the whole neighborhood done in a day, they build skyscrapers in a couple weeks. It took 15 years to build the new World Trade Center. 2-3 days to unload a cargo ship in China takes up to 9 here. You can’t compete with that. There is a happy medium of course, but paying a guy 175k a year to move cargo containers is ridiculous. If you’re spending all your income funding pensions and paying wages and having the lowest productivity in the world these companies won’t be able to reinvest into new equipment, buildings or technology. When the postal service hires someone they have to fully fund that persons retirement and they can’t touch it, multiply that by half a million people. Combine that with a self entitled generation of wussies that refuse to get their hands dirty is a recipe for disaster.
I don't think it's any mystery why unions have withered away. Combine hostile legislation, e.g., Taft-Hartley, w the kind of Stockholm Syndrome you're defending here ... and you have workers blaming other workers for being 'lazy' and 'entitled' while the upper mgmt of companies and wealthy stockholders are laughing all the way to the bank.

PT Car Washer

They will
It's an ideological nightmare that won't stop until the ringleaders are dragged out of power. Not simply because you asked your neighbors nicely.
Is your ideology worth $150k/yr. That is a lot of money for an uneducated truck driver. The American people threw one ringleader out of power in last Novembers election. The thing is he refuses to admit defeat.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
People retire all of the time. I really doubt anyone will retire over a little shot in the arm.
It is more than that to some. People who cannot take it, people who have already had the virus, may just not feel It is a little shot. people who trust natural immunity. People who do not trust the way it is being pushed. Just my opinion.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Well this should help....

Screenshot_20211016-113739_Chrome.jpg