25 years ago we was on strike

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated
I was in IE management during the strike. We delivered in pairs and my helper and I delivered an area in south Baltimore. One day we had a 1DA package for the Teamster office. They were pissed that it was being delivered a couple of days late. All I could say was "You are kidding me right?"

I hope there isn't a strike next year, but it is definitely a life experience.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
IMO, the Teamsters care about any pension because they skim "fees" from it. Admin fees....interest....that sort of thing.

So that they can steer the money into "investments" that profit the Teamsters Admin.

Skimming the cream.

Their proverbial golden goose.......

To be fair......so does UPS. Up to and including canceling it all together. I believe this will ultimately happen.

So, folks that are "covered"(shortfalls made up etc) may not be solvent into perpetuity?

So, example: I retire in July 2023. I'm "covered". New contract in August doesn't have this clause.....is insolvent again?

I'm talking about the old covered guys vs. new retirees.

So UPS really doesn't have any liability?

If so, why did they even do this(guarantee shortfalls)?

So, this was negotiated in 2007....or so...I think.

And those guys(2007-present) would lose everything(possibly)(relatively)(pennies on the dollar) come 2023 or whenever that wink and a nod stuff ceased?

Pennies on the dollar will effectively render my benefit to cancelation.

Say, how and where are our contributions "invested"?

Anyone remember Enron? That type of thing......

Anyone imagine having control of billions of dollars....and having to decide where to park it?

Please do tell us.

It's readily apparent.... you have no clue, as to what you're talking about.

Thebrownblob

Pennies on the dollar will effectively render my benefit to cancelation.

Say, how and where are our contributions "invested"?

Anyone remember Enron? That type of thing......

Anyone imagine having control of billions of dollars....and having to decide where to park it?

Please do tell us.
You are being very foolish, Enron? Really? Ups is not Enron.

Saying your unhappy with how pension contributions are invested, and saying there is outright fraud is quite a bit different.

Your dollars are invested by fiduciaries and overseen by trustees and government regulators.

In regards to Central states. I attend a yearly
Conference where the people in charge Come and give us an update on The performance of the pension fund.

Obviously the news was not always good but that did not mean there was fraud. A mix of market conditions and investing blunders.

Even with all that we still have our pension. Perhaps you would like our pension to go away because you’re a miserable individual And would like to see people suffer? I have news for you that’s not gonna happen.

Your pension will be there as will mine. Even if something tragic happened to the company.
Could it be worthless? Yes, could be worth nothing? No.

If you’re unhappy with the way the investing has gone that’s understandable, But Nobody is “skimming cream” from the top as you say. They would all be in jail so put your wild fantasies to rest.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I was in IE management during the strike. We delivered in pairs and my helper and I delivered an area in south Baltimore. One day we had a 1DA package for the Teamster office. They were pissed that it was being delivered a couple of days late. All I could say was "You are kidding me right?"

Scab

hangin455

Aug 5, 1997 Updated Aug 5, 1997, 4:39pm EDT

Pittsburgh-based RPS Inc., the country's second largest small package ground carrier, reports its shipping volume has increased to 1.5 million packages a day, a 20 percent increase over normal volume, since UPS�went on strike last week. RPS stopped taking new customers July 1 in anticipation of the strike and to accept packages from customers who use both UPS�and RPS.

qdg2

You are being very foolish, Enron? Really? Ups is not Enron.

Saying your unhappy with how pension contributions are invested, and saying there is outright fraud is quite a bit different.

Your dollars are invested by fiduciaries and overseen by trustees and government regulators.

In regards to Central states. I attend a yearly
Conference where the people in charge Come and give us an update on The performance of the pension fund.

Obviously the news was not always good but that did not mean there was fraud. A mix of market conditions and investing blunders.

Even with all that we still have our pension. Perhaps you would like our pension to go away because you’re a miserable individual And would like to see people suffer? I have news for you that’s not gonna happen.

Your pension will be there as will mine. Even if something tragic happened to the company.
Could it be worthless? Yes, could be worth nothing? No.

If you’re unhappy with the way the investing has gone that’s understandable, But Nobody is “skimming cream” from the top as you say. They would all be in jail so put your wild fantasies to rest.
Oh well.........investing blunders.......obtuse doesn't even begin....

By trustees.....fiduciaries.....lololol

Attended yearly.....wow. Wooppeee.

Never said UPS was Enron. I said "that type of thing". Read carefully.

Well, they have been in jail in the past......and gosh.....couldn't possibly be any "steering" all that money.....

Thebrownblob

Well, they have been in jail in the past......and gosh.....couldn't possibly be any "steering" all that money.....
Again as others have said, you have no idea what you’re talking about, we just ignore you until you say something intelligent on this matter. If it’s possible for you.

JonDoe

I call BS on RetiredIE's post. There is no way a Teamster office is going to let scabs deliver to them....come on.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.

🤣

Thebrownblob

Come to think of it you’ve spent 40 years chasing a Pension and you don’t even believe in because you’re incapable of invest in your own money in a way that would allow you to retire sooner, and yet you want to accuse people who are doing the job for you as being criminals and frauds. Nut up and do it yourself if you think you can.

qdg2

Come to think of it you’ve spent 40 years chasing a Pension and you don’t even believe in because you’re incapable of invest in your own money in a way that would allow you to retire sooner, and yet you want to accuse people who are doing the job for you as being criminals and frauds. Nut up and do it yourself if you think you can.
Come to think of it...

Blah blah

But yet...

OMG.

Here we go....

The boo birds

Say, this Fund you are so smitten with.....and the geniuses that run it.....

Don't worry about me Champ.

Thebrownblob

Come to think of it...

Blah blah

But yet...

OMG.

The boo birds

Say, this Fund you are so smitten with.....and the geniuses that run it.....

Don't worry about me Champ.

Remember you brought this up not me and you accuse people of outright fraud, quite different than having a conversation about your displeasure with certain investing strategies.

And you’re right I am the champ you’re lucky I’m even replying to you and your nonsense.

Remember you brought this up not me and you accuse people of outright fraud, quite different than having a conversation about your displeasure with certain investing strategies.

And you’re right I am the champ you’re lucky I’m even replying to you and your nonsense.
This do like I did and put him on ignore.

You have lots of good stuff to offer, he has nothing to offer anyone

Thebrownblob

I cannot imagine spending 40 years in a job I hate with people who I feel are dangerously unsafe and people who are fraudulently stealing my money. Why would I work in such a place for 40 years?